Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FPG CARDS ?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The unfortunate thing about those cards sticking like that is that the manufacturers really were trying to make nicer quality cards, but the unstable molecules ("Fantastic Four" reference, there) of the heavy gloss they used ended up being a detriment to the product.

This is also a good time to remind people who may have cards from this era to not store them too tightly. Even once safely removed from packs, these cards can still stick together if packed tightly within your storage boxes, especially if stored in warmer or more humid environments. At this point, I've seen cards from Topps, Comic Images, FPG, Fleer/Skybox, and Score all show this defect. I'm not sure if happens with any Upper Deck cards, or any of the other companies active during those years.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
OK, I have spent most of my weekend trying to get the definitive answer to FPG sets. The following information has been checked from three sources to ensure accuracy.

1. There are 50 sets that fit the criteria Fantasy Art Cards (regular size).

2. Add to that there were 9 sets of cards (50 to a set and all issued in 1995)that were oversized cards called Colossal Cards.

These were:
Colossal Cards 1
Colossal Crads 2
Achilleous 1
Joe Jusko 1 & 2
Keith Parkinson
Ken Kelly
Larry Elmore
The Art of TSR

3. Finally there were 7 gaming card sets (CCG) that were issued in association with Wizards of the Coast. These cards include two 90 card sets called Everway and it's follow-up Everway Spherewalker.

4. Every set had an auto (Achilleous had about 60!)except for three sets Best of Rowena, Femme Fatales and Best of Dave Dorman

5. Only Achilleous had a 90 card parallel set.

6. All sets had either five or six inserts except Steranko (which had 12)and the three sticker only sets (Ken Kelly, Ploog, Wrightson).

7. Albums (binders): Surprisingly only 14 of the sets had binders.

There, that should be the definitive list of everything you ever wanted to know about FPG!!
However, if you want a more detailed list of what inserts went where then email me and I will send you my data base.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: btlfannz,

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great! Thanks for doing the work, that's some excellent reference. The sticker sets are really nice and it was great they included autograph cards even in those! FPG made some great cards, for sure. The Steranko set is my favorite since he's one of my all time favorite artists.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
Very nice, btlfan!
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

1. There are 50 sets that fit the criteria Fantasy Art Cards (regular size).

There were four sets that fit the criteria Fantasy Art Stickers. Big Grin

Darn it, I get 52 if you include the stickers and 48 if you don't. I'll be interested to see your final database! Maybe I'm +2 by counting Boris Stickers and Masters of Fantasy.
quote:
3. Finally there were 7 gaming card sets (CCG) that were issued in association with Wizards of the Coast. These cards include two 90 card sets called Everway and it's follow-up Everway Spherewalker.

Did you count Everway Companion as a card set or a CCG set? I used to call it a card set, artwork only to supplement the game but with no gaming intent. Same might apply to the art-only Spherewalker set. These attract collectors of art cards who wouldn't be caught dead with CCGs.
quote:
There, that should be the definitive list of everything you ever wanted to know about FPG!!

I also know that I remember my frustration "back in the day" scouring the region for card shops where I could find packs. The convenience stores didn't usually have the fantasy art cards at the checkout. In #6, you didn't mention Boris Stickers. Those were definitely FPG even if they recycled images from the CI sets.

Here's a bit more lore. Five of the sets advertised redemptions for original artwork, probably 1/1. It would be fascinating to find a complete set of dealer sell-sheets.

A subsidiary that I particularly liked was the autographed 10-card panels, which were sold in a nice cardboard display box. There were at least 11 sets with them, and I've tried to track down one from each.

The Colossal card sets are reported to have autographs on every one of the 50 cards. I can't confirm this for every set, but I knew somebody who was working on 50-card master auto sets. I don't think Art of TSR Colossal had autos, but Colossal Cards 2 had all ten artists signing, the only FPG set with multiple artists that had autos.

Some of the regular card sets might have had each of the base cards signed. We'll probably never know, because of the lack of on-card authentication and the spread of forged FPG autos.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
I don't know why I bother sometimes. Just when I'm stealing a March off the House of Cards by demonstrating my superior knowledge about FPG cards they strike back and blow me out of the water Twak

Who would have thought that having made 5 sets of cards for Comic Images bloody Boris would have snuck under the boundary fence and made a set of stickers for FPG???

Masters of Fantasy was simply a deliberate oversight put in for the benefit of House of Cards just to see if they were paying attention. Congratulations, well spotted Mad Mad

Thank you Jeff for finding those mistakes <grinds teeth> Oh and I notice you double posted btw Elephant

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Love it when we have more than one person share an obsession. Thumb Up

Double posting. Did I catch Wolfie?

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are the 14 FPG binders? I've been collecting the fantasy artist binders of comic images and FPG..I only know of 12 for FPG..

Bernie Wrightson I
Bernie Wrightson II
Ken Kelly I
Ken Kelly II
Chris Achilleos I
Chris Achilleos II
Joe Jusko - Edgar Rice Burroughs
Larry Elmore
Jeffrey Jones
Rowena
Mike Ploog
Keith Parkinson

Comic Images Fantasy Binders

Best of Frazetta
Best of Hildebrandts
Best of Boris
Best of Royo
Boris with Julie
Hildebrandts Separate and Together
Royo Millennium
Conan III - is pretty much fantasy.

I don't really count the folowwing as fantasy because they are too far down the genre of Erotica for me.. same goes for all the Olivia and Sorayama stuff...

Royo Secret Desires - Borderline Erotica
Royo Prohibited - Borderline Erotica
Dorian Cleavenger - Borderline Erotica..
Comic images supreme
Artists choice

Cardzz binders ( another not so well known company that made 2 fantasy sets( as far as I know) and binders to go with them)

Julie Bell
Lee Macleod

This message has been edited. Last edited by: heyder,

Posts: 34 | Location: canada | Registered: April 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to see a list of everything by FPG organized: normal sized cards, collossal, stickers, ccg, binders, uncut 10 sheet signed.

Posts: 34 | Location: canada | Registered: April 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok So... Regular FPG sets.. off of Allendar's site as well as nearly a year of e-bay research Wink

Artists with two series of sets:
Chris Achilleos I
Chris Achilleos II
John Berkey I
John Berkey II
Jeffrey Jones I
Jeffrey Jones II
Ken Kelly I
Ken Kelly II
Joe Jusko I
Joe Jusko II
Michael Kaluta I
Michael Kaluta II
Don Maitz I
Don Maitz II
Bernie Wrightson I
Bernie Wrightson II

All Chromium Sets:
Best of Dave Dorman
Best of Rowena

All metallic sets:
Femme Fatales
Masters of Fantasy

Other FPG sets:
Brom
Clyde Caldwell
Thomas Canty
Paul Chadwick
David Cherry
Roger Dean
Joe Devito
Jeff Easily
Bob Eggleton
Larry Elmore
Chris Foss
Everway
Everway Spherewalker
Richard Hescox
Tom kidd
David Mattingly
Kieht Parkinson
Mike Ploog
J.K. Potter
Rowena
Robh Ruppel
Sanjulian
Jim Steranko
Barclayshaw
Tim white
Janny Wurts
Art Suydam
Darrel K Sweel
Charles Vess
James Warhola

Total = 50 Regular FPG sets

posted Hide Post
Comic Images Fantasy Sets:

More than one series sets:

Boris 1
Boris 2
Boris 3
Boris 4
Boris with Julie - Strokes of Genius
Hildebrandt - flights of fantasy
Hildebrandt
Hildebrandt- 30 years of magic
Hildebrandt- the brothers.
Frazetta 1
Frazetta 2
Luis Royo 1
Luis Royo 2
Michael Whelan 1
Michael Whelan 2
Willaim Stout 1
William Stout 2
William Stout 3
Jim Warren 1
Jim Warren 2

All Chromium sets:

Best of Boris
Best of Frazetta
Best of Hildebrandts
Best of Royo
Hildebrandt - Separate and together
Boris With Julie
Conan I
Conan II
Conan III

Omnichrome Set:
Royo- Millennium

One Series only sets:
Ken Barr
Wayne Barlowe
Vincent Di Fate
Richard Corben

Most of the other stuff is too sexual or comicy in my opinion.. the olivia.. cleavenger.. some of Royo.. artists choice.. and comic images supreme.. sorayama.. it just gets too sexual... And then The josepsh linser and moebius and other such sets are just too comicy.. I don't find it very appealing, but that's just me...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of skin in the Boris sets. Some of those were even suggested for mature audiences.

posted Hide Post
I don't feel any creepy vibes from Boris.. I feel like Royo and Cleavenger are good artists.. but their artwork shifts into some strange manifestation of their own sexuality. A lot of it is monsters embracing young innocent women.. Some of it's alright... but then it goes too far where it appears the monsters are having intercourse and it triggers a very uncomfortable feelings in my gut. On a symbolic level it is a sort of subconscious longing for ones innocence.. and the way the artist finds it is by taking it through sexual perversion from an innocent young girl. It's spiritually demonic with much of the symblism.. Taking someone elses innocence... creepy.. have to wonder what is going on in some of these artists on an emotional level..

I mean hell lol... type in Luis Royo in google Images and scroll down until you find a troll creature jizzing all over a young girl.

At some point it stops being art and turns into some strange outlet for the artist to take out their sexual fantasies..

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Boy, you got that right. Take a look at work of this sicko:

"Love Is" is a long running syndicated strip. It is about two naked kids who are in love.

But seriously, be glad they never made an H.R. Giger set! Truly the stuff nightmares are made of.

Take a look at the Boris and Julie set called "Images of Josephine". It's one of the last sets issued by comic Images before they more or less got out of cards. You might like that one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

posted Hide Post
Images of Jospehine ... I know of it.The reason I didn't include it in the list of comic image fantasy sets is because most of it seems to be black and white pictures of a model. That's not fantasy in my opinion. Even if there are a few fantasy paintings thrown in there..

Maybe you have't seen dorian cleavengers work... but squids attached to genitals and BDSM symbolism isn't my cup of tea, even if the artwork is nice and fantasy themes are involved.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thankfully I am not familiar with that work.

But the Boris stuff I was into at one time, even bought a book of his better known work long ago. Wink

Apart from a few of the more suggestive pieces that left room for people to read things into, Boris was and is a feminist. His female warriors were as powerful as his male warriors. He often used his wife Julie Bell as a model and she also worked as a fantasy artist with him and without him.

For me Boris was the first artist that made me notice the whole fantasy art world.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just dug up that old book, Mirage.

Definitely for mature viewers, but awesome work, even today.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know Dorian pretty well. He is a brilliant painter, but there are a lot of them in that genre, so he has set himself apart with work that provokes an emotional response (like a Voit-Kampff test in "Blade Runner", haha) and he does with you, clearly. Me, too.

I just take the more over the top stuff as just part of the trade. There aren't too many artists who do ONLY that kind of work, and I wouldn't want to lose out on all of their work because I don't care for some of their work, so if I like any of it, I have to look at all of it.

Serpieri, best known for "Druuna", does work that is not for all tastes, but the perfection he has achieved in how he draws is a form of art beyond whatever he may be rendering. The details are so sublime that I try not to get too hung up on the (other) details, haha.

Writers can face the dilemma that people will assume that they are their characters and therefore believe and do what the characters say and do, which can be problematic when the situations depicted in the fictional stories would be controversial in our real world. Too much fear can lead to self-censorship and the work can suffer as a result.

To me, art is the combination of technique (the ability to render the thing in a way that communicates its cleanly) and imagination (the idea of what to render in the first place and how to go about rendering it). As for the meaning of things, it has none in and of itself, and never can, for it is just ink on paper (or what have you). All meaning is to be assigned by the viewer, including the artist viewing their own work. The way someone interprets any kind of art will ultimately be saying more about themselves than the art itself, which may be art's greatest gift to us.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Just dug up that old book, Mirage.

Definitely for mature viewers, but awesome work, even today.

"Titans" is a beauty, too, Raven. It's got most of his and spouse Julie Bell's work done for Marvel and Dc in the 1990's, a lot of it from that 1996 Marvel Masterpieces card set, but here, in much larger size. It is almost impossible to imagine stronger female characters than these. Both Boris and Julie are bodybuilders in real life, so the characters are built that way physically PLUS these ones have super-powers!

posted Hide Post
Holy smokes hahaha. yeah "Serpieri, best known for Druuna" wayy too much for me hahaha.

I have to ask again though.. someone earlier stated of 14 FPG binders.. I only know of 12... Does anyone know ?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The ones btlfanz referred to include:

Achilleos 1, Achilleos II, Berkey, Elmore, Jones, Jusko ERB 1, Kelly 1, Kelly II, Parkinson, Ploog, Rowena, Sweet, Wrightson I, and Wrightson II.

I hadn't previously heard about the Berkey and Sweet "with my own eyes." Are those the two you didn't count in your 12? I saw one auction for 11 (missing those two and Jones). But sometimes albums might have been very limited (a few made before they decided the market was too small to mass-market them) or may have ended up only overseas, especially if they were produced late.

I've seen several copies of a Brom album, but it looks to be spiral-bound (not 3-ring) but professional, and I can't tell from images whether it was an FPG issue. One auction said it included a Sweet album, but didn't picture it so I didn't count it as confirmed.

If you're thinking of a different two, that brings us one step closer.