Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What if they made a set with disposable base cards?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What if they made a set with disposable base cards?
 Login/Join

Picture of James7
posted
Here's another idea I had. What if they made a set comprised of all chase cards, and instead of a base set, there were just blank cards, or cards will the same image on them? For example, lets say they made a set like this for Batman. The base set of cards could all have the same image of the Penguin pointing with his umbrella and laughing on them.

So if you bought a pack, there would be no guarantee you'd get anything. You could get a pack with all disposable base cards. But, on the upside, you wouldn't have to worry about dealing the base cards.

While we all like base sets, we know that to pull a set of chase cards (which I think we all care more about than the base set) we end up with several, SEVERAL, sets of the base cards, which take up a lot of unnecessary space. If you're like me, you feel bad just throwing these base cards away.

So with this idea of blank base cards, you don't have to worry about that. And this way it still gives you that thrill of opening packs and pulling chase cards yourself.

Posts: 34 | Location: USA | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
So I, as a Friendly Dealer, would get thousands of the same card if I were to open a case or more of said product?

What a waste, both in the creative sense and the environmental sense.

And it wouldn't save that much money for the manufactures. Sure, you wouldn't have to design a base set of cards, but you still have to print millions of them then put them in packs and boxes. The packaging is part of the expense.

I'll take a premium pack release over this concept. If someone wants to open packs there are products out there that can be had cheap so you can get your pack fix. But this wouldn't help the manufacturer or retailer in any way. And I'd venture to say most collectors wouldn't like it much either.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of James7
posted Hide Post
But isn't this just happening anyway?

Recently I bought a case of DC Cosmic Cards for example, with a 10 hologram chase set. I had to open seven boxes in order to complete the chase set, leaving me with thousands of base cards that I really have no use for.

Wasn't the chase card concept designed with this thought in mind? As a way to trick people into buying more boxes than they need?

So the question is, what if they made a set that drops this pretense? Maybe people would actually like it.

Yes it could cost money to print the disposable base card, but what if the whole card wasn't printed and they just printed a small icon in the center of the card on one side? Or what if they were just blank?

I also think if they did this, they should call them "gambling cards" instead of "trading cards". Buying one would be like scratching off a lottery ticket. You either win or you lose, there's no "one step above losing" like opening a pack of normal cards and not getting a chase card.

Posts: 34 | Location: USA | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy the chase cards off a dealer who would utilize the Base Cards.

There are still lots of collectors who only go for Base Sets and can't/won't go for the expansive chase cards.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Also not every collector is going after master sets, they are happy with the base set that comes out of every traditional box. If they want all the chase cards they are bought individually from dealers or online. No one buys boxes hoping to complete the chase set or all the premium hits, its too expensive and unnecessary.

And if you want products that have no base cards, just try the ones in premium packs. Yes, they still call some of them base cards, but they are truly all inserts due to the limited production number and the pack construction formula. Because of the insertion ratio some of those "base cards" are actually made in fewer numbers than the premium autograph hits.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
So your thought is to have even LESS value in a case of cards? Considering that you paid much more for a case of cards than you would have for the chase set you were after, that just might make sense...for someone who is Smokin'

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what problem this solves. . . I've been thinking about it, but I can't figure it out. . . I mean if I want disposable base cards I can throw away the ones I already pull.

So. . . what is the advantage to filling the packs with what amounts to garbage?

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ed. Why print, package and distribute 'throwaway' base cards when you can just not include base cards at all (premium packs)? I have some sympathy with your view that having something there increases the fun of breaking a box (ie multiple packs to open), but it seems like an expensive way to have that fun.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Why not forget the box, wrappers, base cards, don't make any of them and just send the manufacturer $10 in exchange for a chase card.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I like Premium Packs and Standard Boxes, the mix makes me enjoy the hobby even more. I don't see the point in printing cards which have zero value to collectors or dealers rather than cards which have little value after the first base set is assembled. It just seems costly and unnecessary.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Instead of throwing away your unwanted base cards, donate them or send them to a dealer or a collector that will have use for or wants them.

Personally, I love getting cases of base cards from sets as I sell sets really well and quite regularly.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
A nice chap not far from me donated all his extra base cards to the boot of my car.

I sorted them into sets and donated them to the local charity shops in my area.

This not only helped the charity but put cards into the hands of people who would not have known they existed.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
A nice chap not far from me donated all his extra base cards to the boot of my car.

I sorted them into sets and donated them to the local charity shops in my area.

This not only helped the charity but put cards into the hands of people who would not have known they existed.

Not sure if it is the same in the UK but in the US that also makes for a tax deduction!

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of James7
posted Hide Post
Charity is great, but ideally no one would ever get so many extra base cards that they feel a need to get rid of them.

The idea behind the disposable base card is now you don't feel bad about throwing them away. They are overtly supposed to be thrown away. The base card itself can be considered part of the packaging, and it can be biodegradable.

Consider, if the disposable base cards were blank, or very minimally printed, on cheap card stock, that the cost of a box could be lowered perhaps 75% or more. Imagine buying a box of say Star Wars, for $12, knowing you are going to get a bunch of chase cards, while still retaining that thrill of opening packs, and to top it all off, you're not going to end up with a bunch of extra, unwanted base cards that you have to deal with.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
This is pretty much the worst idea I've ever seen presented in Card Talk.
How would a box of cards cost only $12? Premium packs with a sketch only cost $25 - $50, it won't make them cheaper by filling them with worthless pieces of cardboard.

Base cards are as enjoyable as inserts, don't get me wrong, I like inserts - but base cards are what makes the set.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
I prefer a base set and a few extras. I rarely chase Chase cards!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James7:
Charity is great, but ideally no one would ever get so many extra base cards that they feel a need to get rid of them.

The idea behind the disposable base card is now you don't feel bad about throwing them away. They are overtly supposed to be thrown away. The base card itself can be considered part of the packaging, and it can be biodegradable.

Consider, if the disposable base cards were blank, or very minimally printed, on cheap card stock, that the cost of a box could be lowered perhaps 75% or more. Imagine buying a box of say Star Wars, for $12, knowing you are going to get a bunch of chase cards, while still retaining that thrill of opening packs, and to top it all off, you're not going to end up with a bunch of extra, unwanted base cards that you have to deal with.

So...in your "ideal" situation, apparently there would be no case breakers as we are the folks who typically have tons of extras.

Also, you do realize that there are little things "called liscensing fees", right? Those alone with a little markup for Topps and maybe the box itself would cover your $12...oh wait, you want something INSIDE the box? Twak

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
What happens to all the facts/stats on the back of the base cards? Some base sets tell the story of a tv show or movie....where does that go?

Blank cards inside packs doesn't sound like a good idea. IMO

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James7:The idea behind the disposable base card is now you don't feel bad about throwing them away.

In this case, wouldn't it be better to not have any base cards at all? No manufacturer is going to spend the money to produce filler cards that have no purpose other than to be thrown away. What a waste.

Giving extra cards to charity is a great idea. I've donated spare cards to my local Salvation Army store. The cards are put up for sale in the store and I've seen them disappear. Someone gets to enjoy the cards, the money goes to a worthy charity and I get a small tax deduction. It's a win-win-win situation. Wink

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
This is pretty much the worst idea I've ever seen presented in Card Talk.

You haven't heard my idea for invisible cards.

You can't sort them or sell them, but you won't look messy when you leave them out. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post