Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Future Value
 Login/Join

posted
Is there any way at all to determine at least roughly how much a set may or may not appreciate in value in the future?

Posts: 31 | Location: Canada | Registered: September 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will allmost certainly go down along with virtually every other card ever made.

God that's a depressing thought. Frown

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would need a very good crystal ball. I've learned to collect what I like and not be concerned about increased value.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I ask because my collection in a sense is not entirely mine and my 'partner' believes we should hold onto every damn card because they believe prices will only go up over the next 50! years... While I'd like to hold onto those that I figure may increase in value, such as classics like Elvis and Harley Davidson, I'd like to trade those I'm not interested in, regardless of what may or may not happen in an effort to enjoy trading what I like now, rather than after 50 years!

Posts: 31 | Location: Canada | Registered: September 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Wolfie, I'm not at all arguing your point, just wondering what exactly allowed you to come to that conclusion...?

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BALLEN:
And Wolfie, I'm not at all arguing your point, just wondering what exactly allowed you to come to that conclusion...?

Simple supply and demand. When things first come out there normally is a demand for it. The longer one waits the demand tends to go down. Thats when the prices drop.

Posts: 522 | Location: New York City | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BALLEN:

With over 40 years in the collecting business i can assure you that only the rarest or scarecest ( is that a word ) items in mint condition will hold or increase in price.

Everything else will fall in price as the demand and intrest in the item falls away.

This is why a lot of people collect with the maxim of collect what you enjoy and then the future price does not matter because it will never be worth what it is worth to you.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd tend to agree. But what about the more valuable cards from the 20's to the 60's for example? Does their higher value come from the subject or just the fact that they're older? And if it's due to age, would not the same increase happen to other cards from the 90's, in say, 2050?

I'm completely on the same page with you guys as far as collect what you enjoy, but I've got to do my partner justice in at least investigating his theory.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The reason your cards from the 20's rate high value is that people used to throw them away back then so very few survive and even less in good condition.

Today every card is kept in pristine condition in pocket pages and never touched. 50 years from now all these cards will still be in pristine condition and still worth nothing as there will be tons of them.

posted Hide Post
Haha, I don't have any cards from the 20's, but thanks. :P My entire collection is from that overprinted 90's era... My partner thinks everyone else will get rid of them because they're more or less worthless, and that we should be the ones to hold on to them, haha. But thanks for your input guys. Smile

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
The reason your cards from the 20's rate high value is that people used to throw them away back then so very few survive and even less in good condition.

Today every card is kept in pristine condition in pocket pages and never touched. 50 years from now all these cards will still be in pristine condition and still worth nothing as there will be tons of them.

That's it in a nutshell. Thumb Up

The value of vintage cards went up because they were not thought of as collectibles until decades later, when the supply of high grade examples was well below the new demand.

Cards of today are manufactured as collectibles, complete with built in scarcity, but its not the same thing at all. Most sets will be lucky to hold their value, nevermind increasing it, and those few that do go up won't put anyone's kids through college now. Big Grin

I really think if you are buying cards it should be because you like the product and just consider the money well spent.

If you are looking for card investments, and I use the word investment loosely, try certified autograph cards and sketches. At least they have an inherent value based on the market price of the autograph or the perceived value of the artwork or the artist. Just MHO. Smile

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
BALLEN not offense, but if your partner and you are going to collect trading cards thinking about getting millionaires in a future. You are not focus in reality.

If you have duplicates and cards that you don't like in your collection. I recommend sell or trade.

quote:
I really think if you are buying cards it should be because you like the product and just consider the money well spent.

Agree. It must be the main focus.

quote:
If you are looking for card investments, and I use the word investment loosely, try certified autograph cards and sketches. At least they have an inherent value based on the market price of the autograph or the perceived value of the artwork or the artist. Just MHO.

There a lot of people (non-collectors) buying cases and boxes to resell the big hits. And as far I saw some of them really know how to get some extra money back.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I have been collecting non sport cards for 35 years and of the 4 million plus cards I have had in my collection, only a handful have increased in value. So buy because you love this hobby with absolutely no expectation of making a dime in profit. It's all fun for now. As for the extra cards, trade or sell them for something you want. That is how I do it.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well thanks for your input. And again, I agree. And luckily I was able to convince my partner. Now, if I could only find people interested in trading. :P

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BALLEN,

posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps the solution is we start boycotting Ultra pro? Wink

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
4 million plus cards

that's insane!!

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
quote:
4 million plus cards

that's insane!!

You got that right!! Wolfie you must have been creating your own card scarcity by buying up entire production runs!
The two big questions for me though is how do you KNOW that you've got 4 million cards (or was it 4,001,893?) and secondly is your rented aircraft hanger somewhere close to home??

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Nothing to do with me, i think it was Beamer that said he had 4 million.

I've got about 4. Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing to do with me, i think it was Beamer that said he had 4 million.

I've got about 4. Big Grin

Sorry Wolfie, quite right, it was Beamer. Just the same I bet you hover around a million cards being how you have been collecting since 1939 Roll Eyes

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post