Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Postage Cost for e-bay items
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Postage Cost for e-bay items
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
To be fair to my seller he has said that $5 was for overseas and will refund $3 - But I had to ask!!

It can be tricky to get all the shipping options right when you're listing a lot of items in several regions and even if you do take the time sometimes you just have to guess what the weight is going to be with packaging.

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I know that e-bay have increased the fees and now take a cut from postage, which I think is totally wrong. I know it is only Psychological but I would rather pay the extra for the card than in the over inflated postage price.

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrBlueofnyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Andy28:
I have wanted to buy a few sketches from a big ebay seller, but the shipping to Australia is $33!

Could be the cost to ship them with tracking, priority mail is the way to ship international with tracking other than express. Those prices are expensive.

I know a lot of seller who stopped shipping over seas because of all the money they were losing due to people saying they were not getting their stuff and Ebay/Paypal refunding the money. So they lost out on the money and the product.

yeah that is fair enough, but i'm still not going to pay that for a few cards! It is a shame that it seems to be getting harder to get stuff sent around the world at a reasonable rate.

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeathStorm:
quote:
To be fair to my seller he has said that $5 was for overseas and will refund $3 - But I had to ask!!

It can be tricky to get all the shipping options right when you're listing a lot of items in several regions and even if you do take the time sometimes you just have to guess what the weight is going to be with packaging.

I don't know if it's tricky or underhand when a UK seller lists in Dollars and, unless you ask, makes out of it.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klepsis:
One of the factors in increased postage costs for e-bay purchases is the fact that starting sometime earlier this year the e-bay folks began taking a 9% cut of the shipping fee as well as 9% of the final transaction cost. Most all of the e-bay store owners immediately jacked up shipping costs by 10% (and sometimes more) to offset things.

I've only mailed things to Canada, but that became more expensive earlier this year as well. The postal service in America is on the edge of bankruptcy and raising domestic rates is really unpopular, so it would seem that they raised the international rates instead under the impression that it would help the cash flow with minimum bad publicity. (my opinion, anyway).

This is where it started. I will not argue that ebay is a money grubbing corporation jut like any other but the sellers don't help matters. There were too many sellers selling cards with $0.99 BIN and having $30 shipping to get to the price they wanted and only pay fees on the $0.99. I personally feel that if the sellers didn't take advantage, ebay wouldn't be taking advantage as well. I wonder if there is some sort of rule or law that a company can't make money off of a government service? When I sell I usually charge $2.50-$3.00 for S&H within the U.S. Anything outside the U.S. the potential buyer needs to contact me to discuss costs.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know that e-bay have increased the fees and now take a cut from postage, which I think is totally wrong. I know it is only Psychological but I would rather pay the extra for the card than in the over inflated postage price.
Er, not yet in the UK unless you count the 3.8% Paypal takes. I'm sure eBay will introduce charging their 10% FVF fees on postage here in the UK at some point but it's not there yet Smile I suspect it will appear sooner rather than later as they are running out of other ways to take more money from sellers.

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Card and postage anomolies...

$200 card bought - $6.95 p&p
$74.99 card being watched - $37.00 p&p

Ebay should be watching this. I believe there is a section to complain about extortionate postage rates, but I don't think it covers overseas.

I ship oversees when selling on ebay and most sellers oversees forget that ebay wants sellers to ship with online tracking for auctions. This reduces theft by buyers who claim they never received their items. Online tracking for priority mail and express mail start at $37.

So the seller is not making any money off the shipping because ebay does take almost 10% fee off of shipping and paypal takes an 4% just for any transaction plus an additional fee of 4% for all international transactions.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I sell quite a lot of cards overseas,the vast majority of which are small ticket items (less than £10/$15).I never use tracking or insured mail because the cost puts off buyers and Royal Mail automatically insures anything sent for £46/$70.

Do other countries have sinilar insurance schemes?

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
standard 1st class international postage through USPS has NO insurance whatsoever. Bump the shipping upto priority and it covers a limited amount and has tracking on it.

In the country, insurance has to be paid extra for any package from 1st class to express.

Fedex & UPS both have insurance included to some degree but are much higher rates too especially when dealing with lower valued items

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As far as insurance goes, keep in mind they only insured declared value if the item is lost. Problem is every buyer wants you to mark declared value of to be less than $20 to avoid tax.

Also the major problem is people who get the item and claim they did not in order to get ebay/paypal to refund them their money and so they can keep the item as well.

Posts: 522 | Location: New York City | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Heres the newest example of gouging at the PO counter here in TX.

Brought a flat greeting card size envelope to be mailed to the UK. It was less than 2 oz and innocuous looking, marked AIRMAIL. Inside I placed two semi-rigids, and each one contained a couple cards.

The PO clerk I usually go to wasn't there so I get this PO lady I see there alot. She tells me that since the envelope is rigid, it must be mailed as a parcel, & jacks up my cost to almost $4.

I demonstrate that the envelope is pliable and not rigid, then ask for the large envelope rate. She retorts that there is a rigid item inside so its a parcel. Felt like knocking her with something rigid for a moment, but then I relinquished & paid.

What did I learn? Next time I will use a white envelope (not manila colored) and if my regular PO dude is not there, I'll come back later.

I do a lot of repeat trades with overseas folks that I know. Some are small value trades so I'm not happy with spending $3-4-5 on shipping for a couple of cards.

Probably more info than you needed to know but I'm venting... Roll Eyes

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BILLZEE:

Brought a flat greeting card size envelope to be mailed to the UK. It was less than 2 oz and innocuous looking, marked AIRMAIL. Inside I placed two semi-rigids, and each one contained a couple cards.

The PO clerk I usually go to wasn't there so I get this PO lady I see there alot. She tells me that since the envelope is rigid, it must be mailed as a parcel, & jacks up my cost to almost $4.

What did I learn? Next time I will use a white envelope (not manila colored) and if my regular PO dude is not there, I'll come back later.

I hear you on that. The PO worker you get totally makes a difference. Roll Eyes I had a similar experience while mailing a package for my employer.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BILLZEE:

I demonstrate that the envelope is pliable and not rigid, then ask for the large envelope rate. She retorts that there is a rigid item inside so its a parcel. Felt like knocking her with something rigid for a moment, but then I relinquished & paid.

I do a lot of repeat trades with overseas folks that I know. Some are small value trades so I'm not happy with spending $3-4-5 on shipping for a couple of cards.

yeah the new standard is $3 for the first 1oz and $1 extra per ounce. 1.2 ounces will count as 2 ounces and 2.1 as 3 ounces and so on

Posts: 522 | Location: New York City | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eng621
posted Hide Post
The best PO worker story...
I went to mail a TTM request out & needed the postage on the return envelope. She made me put the picture in the envelope so she could weigh it?!? I guess the molecular structure of the picture changes when it’s inside vs sitting on top of.

I told my favorite PO girl about it the next time I was in & she was able to guess who it was!

Posts: 113 | Location: Yorkville,IL., USA | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Frankly, for my 2 cents worth I would settle for some kind of continuity from US sellers.
I've started collecting envelopes that I have received here in New Zealand (usually bubble lined) to show the disparity. Since all I buy from America these days is 1,2 or 3 cards at a time, I now have envelopes ranging from $2.80 through to $11.50. Someone's tripping me off!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
Frankly, for my 2 cents worth I would settle for some kind of continuity from US sellers.
I've started collecting envelopes that I have received here in New Zealand (usually bubble lined) to show the disparity. Since all I buy from America these days is 1,2 or 3 cards at a time, I now have envelopes ranging from $2.80 through to $11.50. Someone's tripping me off!

If the seller has paid $11 then it's the Post Office!

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As a buyer I keep track of both what a seller charges and what the actual mailing costs were.

Some overseas shippers wish to have full Seller Protection, which requires package tracking, which in turn gets you up to the $11 range via the Postal Service and most other locations to the U.S. Others are willing to ship at the 'uninsured' rate like the $2.80 example and take a bit of a risk. It can depend on the buyer's experience with overseas shipments, as there are good and bad buyers, and some types of sales have been reported as "not arrived" a lot more often than you'd expect from past reliability on the delivery end.

Some sellers avoid the hassle and possible bad feelings from shipping charges that are higher than the item prices by refusing to ship out-of-country. Some buyers would like to have the option of specifying lowest-cost shipping and agreeing not to hold the shipper responsible if they have a proof of mailing, without the extra cost of the tracked methods. I'd at least like the option of an intermediate form, like how U.K. offers International Signed For at a bit lower fee than Recorded Mail. Technically it's not "tracked", but I think that any form of proof of delivery should be good enough for most purposes.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
As a buyer I keep track of both what a seller charges and what the actual mailing costs were.

Some overseas shippers wish to have full Seller Protection, which requires package tracking, which in turn gets you up to the $11 range via the Postal Service and most other locations to the U.S. Others are willing to ship at the 'uninsured' rate like the $2.80 example and take a bit of a risk. It can depend on the buyer's experience with overseas shipments, as there are good and bad buyers, and some types of sales have been reported as "not arrived" a lot more often than you'd expect from past reliability on the delivery end.

Some sellers avoid the hassle and possible bad feelings from shipping charges that are higher than the item prices by refusing to ship out-of-country. Some buyers would like to have the option of specifying lowest-cost shipping and agreeing not to hold the shipper responsible if they have a proof of mailing, without the extra cost of the tracked methods. I'd at least like the option of an intermediate form, like how U.K. offers International Signed For at a bit lower fee than Recorded Mail. Technically it's not "tracked", but I think that any form of proof of delivery should be good enough for most purposes.
From the UK, there are three options through the Royal Mail:

Regular Airmail. This is the cheapest but offers no tracking or proof of delivery. It also has a £46 UKPounds limit on insurance cover.

Airsure. This is fully tracked but does not guarantee a signature on delivery. For items up to £50 UKPounds in value it costs the regular Airmail price plus and additional flat £5.40p UKPounds fee. If it's worth more than that there is an additional fee of £2.60p UKPounds that gives cover up to £500 UKPounds

International Signed For. This is tracked until it leaves the UK but does guarantee a signature on delivery. For items up to £50 UKPounds in value it costs the regular Airmail price plus and additional flat £5.15 p UKPounds fee. If it's worth more than that there is an additional fee of £2.60p UKPounds that gives cover up to £500 UKPounds.

The insurance cover provided is rather important if an item gets lost in the post. When you put in a claim, you have to provide proof of postage and proof of value. If your proof of value indicates that you used an under insured method then the whole insurance is voided and you get nothing. I never ship under insured items.

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

I can understand that. It is just as confusing shipping stuff overseas from the US. I go online to try and figure out the cost to ship and envelope or package overseas and then am always wrong once I get to the post office to send it. Every rule has an exception, sometimes even two. Frown The US postal service has really gone down the tubes and they are going broke to boot.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
When I 1st started selling cards on ebay (I started with toys before that), I originally went with a top loader in a white mailing envelope. Then a couple showed up to the buyers damaged. Then suddenly this "rigid" rule came into effect and I had 2 different buyers that had to pay MORE postage just to pick up the envelopes at the post office.

Thankfully I was able to make everything right with those sellers but that left me with no choice but to go to the 1st class parcel route in the USA and parcel class only for international. Which means that my shipping rates range from $3-$5 on average. But I openly combine shipping and don't add on additional shipping charges until it goes to the next weight level which is $1 higher. So that $3 to canada for example can easily ship 6 cards in 1 bubblemailer at the same rate as 1.

USPS has no regularity to their envelopes and bubblemailers. Which makes it confusing. When you get into boxes (toys, card sets) it gets much easier to make out what will cost what. To me anyway.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post