Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    So... which 1 Card Means the MOST to You?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So... which 1 Card Means the MOST to You?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted
Since I purchased one particular card I have been looking at it non-stop and I've never been this happy to have any card in my collection. Its one of those cards that makes me genuinely content with the hobby. The kind of card that says "I wouldn't be fussed if trading cards dissappeared tomorrow because I have THIS!" or "if I had to sell up then this is the one thing that would never go."

For any Bond fan this will always be a cool card, but for someone who grew up watching Pierce do his thing in the '90s era of Bond films, "Nobody does it better" - to quote Carly Simon.

For me it will always be this card:

Since autographs came to the foreground in the hobby this is THE autograph card I have wanted more than any other. I've always been fascinated to see which actors and actresses agree to sign trading cards and its interesting hearing why some celebrities choose not to. Some said Brosnan wouldn't ever sign cards because he has a current career, doesn't need the money, and was unceremoniously sacked from the Bond role. I always held out hope that he would because he always seemed to love the character since he was a kid and I think he genuinely appreciated being given a second shot at one of the biggest roles in the business.

...and hey ho, Rittenhouse Archives pull off the seeminingly impossible and get him to sign! But not only do they get Brosnan to sign...
- they get him to sign a decent amount of cards so more collectors have a shot at getting this card at cheaper prices
- they (will) offer his signature on multiple styles of card to keep everyone happy
- they give keep giving us these great autos on-card so actors can sign properly (can't see Brozza's signature working on a Topps sticker can you?!?)

Maybe I'm wearing the rose-tinted glasses but for someone who really doesn't need the cash I see these cards as a small way of Brosnan giving back to the fans and a celebration of a high point in his career. Not only that but I see this type of card as just one of the best examples as to why a company like Rittenhouse is so great at what they do.

We all have different interests and collecting focuses, be it promos, base, chase, autos, sketches, props, costumes and I know how hard it is to narrow it down to one favourite, but everyone has to have that one card that ticks all their boxes.

There seems to me more doom and gloom in the hobby over recent years but whatever you enjoy collecting, everyone who likes cards (and I hope that's most of us here!) can't not contribute something to this topic and it would be cool to see which cards get people really excited and hear why.

So lets hear it - and the more pictures the better!

Happy Collecting! Thumb Up
X

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thats the best example of that card ive seen.thats a cracker!!

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
It really IS the nicest one I've seen. Did you pull that one or was it bought? I remember seeing one when they were first listed that had a signature very much like that one.

My favourites, can I have two? All my cards except two are in their Binders, these two I have had sitting on my shelf ever since I got them.
I'm so happy to have them in my collection I like to see them every day when I get out of bed Smile I'm sure I will get over my excitement of having them and they will go safely away but at the moment I'm enjoying them Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Juelle Lou,

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
What's your other one Juelle, I can only see the Buffy Stake?

I love that Buffy card btw, I collected that set, but I never purchased that card.

I can't really say that I have 1 favourite card out all of mine, mainly because my tastes change quite frequently. I have periods where I'll be obsessed with one show or film, then after a couple of months, I'll be onto something else, then I might rewatch that other show or film again and be back to wanting something from thatSmile

I'll have to have a think about what card I treasure the most, which one could I not live without?

I'll be back Smile

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The card i love the most is the Jeff Smith sketch card from the 1st Bone set.i kept buying and opening sealed cases till i got one.i loved the comics so i just had to have one!!

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Hi Sidewinder Wavey
Yes I love the Buffy SE-1 Stake card, it is the most expensive card I have ever bought but one I have wanted so much ever since I found out about it. The only card I could imagine I would want more if it existed would be a piece of "Serenity" Captain Malcolm Reynolds Firefly class space ship Big Grin

And I'm not sure why you can't see the other card it shows up on my screen, it is also the same card as X, the Pierce Brosnan Auto.
To me, he is the one and only Bond. And I love Goldeneye, it is the only Bond movie I will watch.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Juelle - you are cheating with two but I'd rather see more of people's favourites than less if they can't make their mind up. Besides I really can't object to your second choice. Wink
I instantly thought of the Stake card when I was creating this thread. VERY easy to see why a Buffy fan would LOVE that card. Very neat indeed. Were you lucky enough to pull them?

Sidewinder - I look forward to hearing your fav!

markdennet - I'm sure I've heard of your Bone sketch but have never seen one - do you have a pic?

... and thanks for the nice comments on the Brosnan card. I bought this one specifically because I wanted a good example of his signature for all the reasons mentioned previously. The thing with Brosnan is that he's always had a very elegant autograph with lots of flourish, the only problem with that is he's one of those people who needs to sign slowly to give a good example. So when he's sat down to sign 100+ card its easy to see he has 'zoned out' a bit which is why every single autograph card you'll see of his look totally different.

Nowadays he usually takes to signing 8x10s with just 'Pierce' and rarely signs his Sirname at all - this translates into his cards where you can see he makes his first name far more legible than his last, the same is true even of my example. That said, every single autograph card is a better example than what I have seen over the last few years because he has made some effort to sign both his names, albeit quickly. Its great to see he put in a bit more effort for card collectors.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I would have loved to have pulled it but no, I didn't.
If I remember correctly, not even a case was a guarantee that you got one. And knowing my luck I could have bought dozens and not pulled one, cheaper to buy one for me. Smile

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardinalfan13
posted Hide Post
Im gonna cheat as well

The top 2 Bond Girls That have signed of all time

Posts: 614 | Location: Missouri | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I see the Bond card now, don't know why it didn't show up beforeSmile

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardinalfan13:
Im gonna cheat as well

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't choose just one.

And Sidewinder, good I'm glad you can see it. I thought I must have stuffed it up or something.

Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
Johnny Depp's autograph card from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I've always been a fan of Johnny Depp since I was kid.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bone,

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
My autographed cards from Elaine and Tony Perna.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bone Eek Thumb Up

strange signature though, I can't see the actual letters in his name.

posted Hide Post
heres a link to a pic of a bone sketch card..

front

http://www.mybonestuff.com/ima...ards/1/Sr1-Auto1.jpg

back

http://www.mybonestuff.com/ima...ards/1/Sr1-Auto2.jpg

Bare in mind it was one of the 1st sketch cards ever issued.not the greatest sketch card ever but one hell of a tough pull.i bought a case a month for 10 months then i hit two in my last case.they are both more or less the same..it cost more to ship them over than the cases cost themselves.i binned loads of sets.no-one wanted them,even for free..nightmare!!

when i pulled the sketch i had 9 boxes left and i was thinking of just binning them before i even opened the rest of the case.i didnt think for one minute there would be two in one case.i gave them my 5 year old to open and he pulled the other!!crazy!!he knew what he was looking for because i was jumping around the house when i pulled the 1st one!

rare cards are like buses sometime.wait ages for 1 then 2 come along at once!!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
For me, it's the Gary Oldman auto from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I didn't even know about non-sport cards until this set (gasp!) and by the time I discovered it, box prices on eBay were too high for me. I found an online list of U.S. comic book stores and started calling them. One store in Nebraska had 12 packs and sold them to me for less than $40 with shipping. I pulled the Oldman auto, blissfully unaware of how rare it was.

It's funny when I think back about it. I purchased five packs via eBay and pulled Harry's gray t-shirt, 12 packs from the Nebraska store and pulled the Oldman auto, then nine packs from an Oklahoma comic book store and pulled a Matthew Lewis auto. Since these were my first experiences with packs, I thought it was easy to find inserts!

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Wow, this is a real toughie. If I could cheat I'd have ten or more cards here! BUT, I'll follow the rule, and since she's just about my favorite actress and I hope one day she removes the restraining order (just kidding!), it has to be Ms. Jolie's autograph card from TOMB RAIDER.
And I love the other cards pictured here. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM is just fantastic!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stargaterules
posted Hide Post
Would have to say the same ones i said before . I couldn't pick between my two Fords .....67 Mustang or my 05 Mustang lol I Kid , I Kid these

Btw . I love the Jolie .. I have the one from Tomb Raider 2 ... Still need that one . Nice statues as well .

Posts: 91 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I think Indy trumps Solo for me. Either way... Drool worthy cards!

Picture of HPCollector2011
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kbmum:
For me, it's the Gary Oldman auto from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I didn't even know about non-sport cards until this set (gasp!) and by the time I discovered it, box prices on eBay were too high for me. I found an online list of U.S. comic book stores and started calling them. One store in Nebraska had 12 packs and sold them to me for less than $40 with shipping. I pulled the Oldman auto, blissfully unaware of how rare it was.

It's funny when I think back about it. I purchased five packs via eBay and pulled Harry's gray t-shirt, 12 packs from the Nebraska store and pulled the Oldman auto, then nine packs from an Oklahoma comic book store and pulled a Matthew Lewis auto. Since these were my first experiences with packs, I thought it was easy to find inserts!

You wouldn't still have that list, would you?

Posts: 30 | Location: Maryland | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post