Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    So... which 1 Card Means the MOST to You?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So... which 1 Card Means the MOST to You?
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I have a number of high end cards, and have had my share of cool pulls over the years, but there is one card that I would keep until the bitter end:

Yes, it's a PSC, but it was exactly what I wanted, and it's such a great piece of art, and even better it is from someone who is my friend. It may not be a high dollar card, but it's priceless to me! Smile

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DScardzguy
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say my Decision '92, 1000-Stripe Colin Powell card made by AAA. This is 1 of 18 1000-stripe cards I've collected over the years, but it's by far, my favorite insert card. Smokin'

Posts: 18 | Location: Syracuse, USA | Registered: August 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My number 1 card is a David Wenham auto from lotr The Two Towers. It's the first auto I pulled from a pack. It was from a K-Mart that was going out of business. The box I pulled it from was missing about 3 pack, the packs were 25% off. Being a fan of the movies I bought them.Long story short, I still has the card and another thing that makes it so special is when I met my now wife was a big fan of lotr,s.
I gave her the card in a fram I made, that said"
I Love You. She thought it was so cool and she didn't know about non-sports cards. So in closing she still loves the card. I still buy cards, and she still supports my card collecting. It's a beutiful thing.

Posts: 58 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Skywalker, that is such a lovely story. I can see how that card would hold so much meaning to you Smile

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
Star Wars Series 2, Card 32A, The Millenium Falcon Speeds Through Space!. I was missing this card for a full set. I tried to get it but couldn't find someone to swap for it and couldn't get it in a pack.
However, and I know this is actually quite hard to believe, but I found this card lying by the kerbside one day on my way home from school on an overcast day. It was a bit battered, a little creased and slightly dirty but I can remember the excitement I felt in finding it. Even though this was roughly 33 years ago I still remember the incident vividly.
I now have some fantastic sketch cards, autographs and pieceworks however this one card has probably made me the happiest that I have been in the hobby and it cost me nothing at all.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Do you still have it? I hope you do! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Justm, fantastic story Thumb Up

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kirsten Dunst autograph from Small Soldiers. It's not my most valuable, but it certainly means more to me than any other card I have.

Posts: 11 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: January 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
My Gillian Anderson autograph from Inkworks' X-Files season 6/7 set.

I could never afford the card, but about a year after the set came out, I saw a dealer selling cheap boxes on eBay (don't remember the exact cost, but I know it was under $30 shipped). I thought it would probably have a low end auto, but I figured why not? Well, I pulled Gillian -- I was home alone, and had to start calling people (none of whom cared) to tell them about my pull. That can never be topped for me, unless I end up pulling an Anna Torv auto from the upcoming Fringe set Big Grin

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was home alone, and had to start calling people (none of whom cared)

that's priceless Smile

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Do you still have it? I hope you do! Thumb Up

I certainly do. It's going nowhere as those Star Wars cards were my first experience of card collecting as they were for many others I suspect.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Jason you are one lucky guy. Under those circumstances that would be MY favorite card too!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I have been thinking about this for a while now, and after going through my cards more than a few times I have decided to go with this one.

It's funny that he is in a monkey suit.. but hey.. it's his signature.. and I have it..

I do have quite a few more expensive cards than this one but this card is signed by the great man himself.. Charlton Heston.. I am a big fan of Charlton Heston.. he was one of the greatest leading men ever..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Some cool additions since I last checked in!

dscardzguy - do you have a picture of your Colin Powell Stripe card? I have literally no idea what it looks like!

justm - your Star Wars 32A was just the type of thing I wanted to hear about: something with some real meaning to the collector irrespective of value. One of my most prized cards remains to this day a Tomorrow Never Dies P2 Promo. Common, easy to obtain, but it was the first card outside of base sets I came accross and belonged to the first Bond set I ever collected. I had no idea what it was and it set me on the path to the wider world of trading cards. Why was it numbered with a 'P'? What's a 'Promo Card' etc. Confused

I wish I still had the Star Wars cards I tried to collect as a kid by the pack but its great to hear that you were sensible enough to keep yours. Cool story.

Jason00 - that's some good luck, many would love to have that card. I always wanted a Gillain Anderson auto and when the X-Files cards were still current I could never have afforded her autograph so pinned all my hopes on pulling her autograph from the one box of X-Files: Connections I bought, and as luck would have it I pulled her auto redemption!!! So I know just how you must felt, although I'd still say yours is the nicer of the two.

drofdarb - even in the monkey suit, that's a great card. Heston was a real Hollywood legend and the original POTA film is a classic. Nice signature too.

Would love to hear more from people on the boards - EVERYONE has a favourite!!! Wavey

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Thanks X, I wish I could drop a picture, but I don't use a scanner at home. You know what it looks like, but for those who don't there are 3 on that website now, no bargains I'm afraid. The T2 cards were from Artbox and the predominant color is black, so the head shot photos on the autograph cards are kind of dim against the background. But the autograph space is light gray and big, so the signatures really stand out and that is the best feature after all. The Robert Patrick auto card that I also have from this set is very hard to land too.

You're right, sometimes the hardest cards to get are in the $90 - $150 range because they are usually limited and moderately expensive, but not so expensive as to be out of reach for many potential buyers. It takes patience and luck to get a good deal when there is a lot of demand.

And your Brosnan is a terrific looking card, I may have said that before, but its worth saying twice. Smile

No, you've never said that about my Brosnan as I've never posted it before. I'm always hesitant to post cards people consider high end as I don't want to look the "show off" but I couldn't start a thread like this and show something else. Frankly this card is so far out of my price range I cringe knowing what I paid for it, but every hard saved penny was spent on something I had wanted for so long and I have never enjoyed a card as much as this so thanks for the compliment.

I think the design for the T2 cards is great like you say, and the grey signing area is very evocative of the liquid metal motif of the T-1000. I'm glad that even though it was a film cel set set that Artbox inserted traditional style autograph cards. Its only a small list of signers but its a good one. If only they'd got Arnie I think this would be one of THE best auto non-sport sets ever as its a sci-fi classic. The T3 Arnie, as nice and low-key as it is wouldn't compare to his signature on an Artbox card. The costum cards look fantastic too. I remeber a member on here lucked out and got the FX1 card dirt cheap.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Thanks X, I wish I could drop a picture, but I don't use a scanner at home. You know what it looks like, but for those who don't there are 3 on that website now, no bargains I'm afraid. The T2 cards were from Artbox and the predominant color is black, so the head shot photos on the autograph cards are kind of dim against the background. But the autograph space is light gray and big, so the signatures really stand out and that is the best feature after all. The Robert Patrick auto card that I also have from this set is very hard to land too.

You're right, sometimes the hardest cards to get are in the $90 - $150 range because they are usually limited and moderately expensive, but not so expensive as to be out of reach for many potential buyers. It takes patience and luck to get a good deal when there is a lot of demand.

And your Brosnan is a terrific looking card, I may have said that before, but its worth saying twice. Smile

No, you've never said that about my Brosnan as I've never posted it before. I'm always hesitant to post cards people consider high end as I don't want to look the "show off" but I couldn't start a thread like this and show something else. Frankly this card is so far out of my price range I cringe knowing what I paid for it, but every hard saved penny was spent on something I had wanted for so long and I have never enjoyed a card as much as this so thanks for the compliment.

I think the design for the T2 cards is great like you say, and the grey signing area is very evocative of the liquid metal motif of the T-1000. I'm glad that even though it was a film cel set set that Artbox inserted traditional style autograph cards. Its only a small list of signers but its a good one. If only they'd got Arnie I think this would be one of THE best auto non-sport sets ever as its a sci-fi classic. The T3 Arnie, as nice and low-key as it is wouldn't compare to his signature on an Artbox card. The costum cards look fantastic too. I remeber a member on here lucked out and got the FX1 card dirt cheap.

Whatever the book value is for your Brosnan auto.add 25% to 50% due to the fantastic example of his signature.what a card!!

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I would have to say it is a toss up between my Wizard of Oz first series #7 of 8 Dorothy Dress swatch card, or my Dexter SDCC 2010 set of different staff ID cards, one for each of the 7 main characters. Only 2 of each card exist.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beamer,

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
Here is the Dexter prop card.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beamer,

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
WOW Beamer, that Dexter card is ridiculously cool and limited to just 2 cards?!? How big is it?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
The card is 5" X 7" and when you flip it over, the back of the ID tag shows through just like the front. The 7 different cards are listed on the certificate and I have all 7 different cards. See the next page for the certificate.