Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Anybody user Card Collector or any other software to keep track of their Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody user Card Collector or any other software to keep track of their Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I just started a list for my autograph cards (after almost 10 years of collecting) I downloaded a free excel template with pull down column search features from Microsoft that suited my needs. Thanks to the encyclopedia of non sports cards it has almost been the single source for information.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4854 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of glen87
posted Hide Post
File Maker Pro is a NICE program. I do not own a copy, but have used it in several job situations.

I just use MS works (database and works word processor) to keep track of my auto cards. I do not have Excel, access, or any other programs except what came with the computer and it works fine for me. If anyone wants a database template I have made, let me know. It is a .wdb file

Posts: 642 | Location: VT | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
There haven't been any posts to this thread in 4 years and I was wondering whether anyone knows if there are any new program out there to keep track of and catalog our cards?

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I just use Excel. I keep sets,inserts and autos all on different pages. Updated with the help of Jeff's house of checklists.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use excel at the moment, but am working on an access database.. it's almst done, although it's going to take alot of time to get all my data across into access in the format I want..

access is much more powerful for querying and reporting..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I know that they tried to develop software to track sports cards years and years ago. It never really got off the ground with collectors. A lot of the problem is that if you had a central control that owned the software, you would have to subscribe to updates as new sets came out or your inventory would become fixed at some date, much like an old price guide is useless for recent issues.

The best collectors can do is create their own programs in Excel or Access, but it is time consuming. I tried to get an inventory started once and quit pretty fast. Wink There are a lot of non-sport sets now.

Posts: 10400 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I developed a website TheCardMarket.com, that can be used for cataloging collections. There still is a lot of work that needs to be done to enhance that part of the site, but it is functional. If anyone has suggestions as they use it please let me know.

The site has checklists for sets as they get entered in the system, right now we have over 350 sets checklisted in the system and more are being added all the time.

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
For the longest time I knew by memory what sets I had (about 30 on rotation) and roughly how incomplete or near completion each was.

Then last year I had a hugh shake up of my collection, sold a lot of cards, gave away near enough 1000 cards over six months and picked up boxes and packs of 'new' sets to add to my collection and build it up with different themes, TV shows/movies and also start 'creating' my own sets from scratch based on particular hobbies and interests.

This is when I decided to go 'electronic'. I did have a blog/website a while back but it became too draining with the server breaking all the time and was wasting time rather than saving it.

Anyhow I've reacquainted myself with Excel and I'm laboursly inputting all my cards from my collection, making seperate lists for 'missing' cards & yet another set of complete checklists (Where possible depending on type of set) so I can see everything in one place.

Thank Jeff Allender for his amazing checklist website - I'd be quite stuck without it as not as many manufacturers keep their checklists up to date (If they make them) and others take them down after a few years (If they're still in business).

I'm quite excited to do an inventory check (yes, not many peoples idea of fun!) this summer and create a file with complete checklists for my entire collection (Which is considerably smaller than it once was and not a 'drop in the ocean' compared to other collections I've seen/heard about on here).

Glad for technology - cannot imagine the days when this sort of organisation had to be done by hand with a pen (or pencil), paper and a binder - The kind for storing paper/lists - not cards Wink

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I developed a website TheCardMarket.com, that can be used for cataloging collections. There still is a lot of work that needs to be done to enhance that part of the site, but it is functional. If anyone has suggestions as they use it please let me know.

The site has checklists for sets as they get entered in the system, right now we have over 350 sets checklisted in the system and more are being added all the time.

Jon

I am going to give Card Market a try. Thanks for putting the time into trying to set something up!!

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cline:
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

Jon

I am going to give Card Market a try. Thanks for putting the time into trying to set something up!!

Cool, Thanks! Don't hesitate to drop me a line if you have questions, comments or suggestions!

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cmcdjj37
posted Hide Post
I use comic collector live. I like it because it has pictures and also lets me track comic books. It then lets you export your collections to an excel or pdf format. It also doubles as a place where you can buy stuff, so if you put an item on your wishlist you can check and see if anyone is selling anything off your wishlist.

One downside is that if something isn't in there you need to have scanned images of the cards in order to add them. It's been a slow process but I've gotten all my sets added that weren't already in there and I've been pretty good about keeping them updated with new promos. There is also a yearly subscription fee but they do allow the first month free to check it out.

Posts: 209 | Location: Castle Rock, Colorado | Registered: July 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post