Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Anybody user Card Collector or any other software to keep track of their Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody user Card Collector or any other software to keep track of their Cards
 Login/Join

Picture of AWR
posted
I came across the following link (http://www.thecardcollector.com). I was wondering if anybody uses this program or any other comercially avalible software program to keep track of their cards. I think it would be neat is some of the non-sport companies could publish their checklists to something like this.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Pay $40 when I've got spreadsheets/databases on Excel?
I don't think so.

Scully: No. How much you're like Ahab. You're so... consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to your megalomaniacal cosmology.

Mulder: Scully, are you coming on to me?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I dont know if my collection is either too small or I just have a big brain but I dont use either.

I know every card that I have in my collection and what Im still looking for.
Mind you, I do have a website with my extras and what I am looking for:
http://ccc.1asphost.com/canny19/index2.html

I am putting a new layout up later, as my server is down again Razz
So, go take a look and see what we can do... Wink

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No I use spreadsheets mostly ( Currently OpenOffice 2 ) and got into that habit when sorting out thousands of 35mm slides

Of course it doesn't help when the old memory forgets where the binders are !

He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of Time and he can see the turn of the Universe.
And...
He's WONDERFUL.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Urmston, United Kingdom | Registered: August 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
i use collectorz comic software. i used to use access (never excel, the advantages of databases for keeping stuff organised are huge) but switched because i was using it for my comics and found it flexible enough for my cards/statues etc as well. i am sure there's been some other threads on this, try searching for software.

cheers, Jen

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
I found someone with a program to keep track of stamps. You could put in pictures, prices, things like that. I was thinking of buying one and tweaking it to use for cards instead.
But I never bothered. My website is suitable enough for now Smile

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of angelchick182
posted Hide Post
I don't use any kind of software at the moment, because I haven't found anything I particularly like yet. At the moment, my tracking system is a binder with a typed checklist of each set I collect - whenever I obtain a card, I highlight it. It works well for me, anyway.

Posts: 1681 | Location: Nashville, TN, USA | Registered: July 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I use Exel, sure enough does the job for me lol
Could be better could be worse!!!!!

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by angelchick182:
At the moment, my tracking system is a binder with a typed checklist of each set I collect - whenever I obtain a card, I highlight it. It works well for me, anyway.

My sister printed out all the Inkworks checklists for Angel and we cross them off as we go along Smile
I should start doing that for my Buffy collections Eek
Maybe when I have a free weekend, lol.

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Collectress
posted Hide Post
It's Excel spreadsheets all the way for me. I can remember most of the cards I still need, but I always find spreadsheets are useful for keeping track of my collections.

"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!" - John Crichton
"Bored now" - Vampire Willow

Posts: 669 | Location: UK | Registered: January 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Excel for me too Smile

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
I rely on my website and memory.
Although I still forget to update my site properly,esp when I have multiple trades going on,as I have at the moment Roll Eyes

And I also trade for the same inserts twice because I forget that I already have them on the way Confused

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spidergoblin:
And I also trade for the same inserts twice because I forget that I already have them on the way Confused

That's my memory... It explains why as I was going through my cards this weekend I found LOTS of doubles *sigh*

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Let me put in a little plug for FileMaker Pro for things like this, and you can get "obsolete" versions of it darn cheap. It avoids the confusion of searching and selecting out of Excel, and also avoids the incomprehensibility and dangers of Access. The options of making different layouts to track different things are wide, the 'user interface' is simple and it's easy to make printouts or screen lists that look great ... enough that the large company I work for continues to use it for most of its forms and inventory tracking.

If you know that there are multiple levels to the meaning of 'relational database' you can stick with Access. I can't understand why Microsoft bought FoxPro and then proceeded to kill it, since that software was also very good for somebody who wanted to develop or work with "databases" without having to go back to school or learn how to talk like a computer!

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used Excel here and there for want lists, but most of my collection is in memory.

For the most part, I try to get the big cards I need/have in memory to complete a set first. The other inserts will come with time.

If there is cool shareware out there, hopefully someone will post a link.

Posts: 419 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: October 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of dmatsuda
posted Hide Post
I'm staring to use a software called "Card Keeper!". I'm finding it quite useful, but rather labor intensive. But I imagine any other software would be labor intensive as well so it's nothing against the creators of this excellent package.

When my house got broken into several years ago, it was pretty difficult remembering which cards I had for insurance purposes.

Posts: 1446 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm using both a spreadsheet with tabs for the sets I am aiming for master sets or and a misc tab, and a web site where I put up images of the swaps and wants.

I did a generic database driven site for swapping things and keeping track of who I have loaned DVDs to, which I am thinking of using as the back end of my card webpage.
It would be easier to keep up to date.

(I just keep finding these old threads I want to add my two cents worth to)

my swaps list is at: http://videodrome.org/cards

Posts: 96 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dalekfan
posted Hide Post
My best stuff is on my webpage, plus I photograph everything of any value, and that's good enough for Insurance purposes. I don't really need an inventory of everything individually in my collection (which isn't just trading cards anyway). Life is just too short... Smokin'

Posts: 449 | Location: West Yorkshire | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FOR "SPIGGOT":
Please, what's Your e-mail?

Posts: 31 | Location: Italy | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Exel is good for me but nearly lost my entire list of cards lol
Would have gone mad but had a back up copy Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post