Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards To Watch
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
When 1990 Marvel Universe Series 1 cards blew up last month or the month before, I saw a lot of eBay listings with "rookie card" in the title.

Actually, didn't Impel use the term "Rookie" in some of the Marvel Universe sets?

I think there was a discussion at Blowout about whether or not the 1987/1988 Comic Images Marvel Universe sets should be considered the first appearance on card for many of the big name superheroes. There was no consensus, if I recall correctly.

Sorry to have derailed the "cards to watch" discussion. Back on topic: Has anyone compiled a list of the oldest actors from Star Trek/Star Wars/other franchises? I know it's morbid but maybe some of their auto cards will skyrocket when they pass.

That doesn't always seem to be the case, though. Various cards signed by Dawn Wells from Gilligan's Island didn't pop after she died in December, probably because so few people know she signed any cards.

Posts: 62 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Johnson:
Actually, didn't Impel use the term "Rookie" in some of the Marvel Universe sets?

I think there was a discussion at Blowout about whether or not the 1987/1988 Comic Images Marvel Universe sets should be considered the first appearance on card for many of the big name superheroes. There was no consensus, if I recall correctly.

I know it's morbid but maybe some of their auto cards will skyrocket when they pass.

That doesn't always seem to be the case, though.

1. I think you are referring to a small subset in 1990 and 1992 Impel Marvel Universe sets. A total of 6 cards out of the 162 in 1990 and 9 cards out of the 200 in 1992 had Rookie on the card. I assume because those characters weren't in the prior sets. There could be other cards in other years or from other makers, but that's all I see, and it's not a rational. Rookie card applied to the first year a sports player appeared on a pro card wearing a major league uniform for whatever pro team. At one time there could be several rookie cards in the same year, if several manufacturers had a license or produced multiple number of sets, but I believe the rule has changed in recent years just because everyone wanted to claim sports rookies and there were too many. Hope that's accurate.

2. There is rarely any consensus on anything with card collecting, which is why anyone can claim anything. Big Grin

3. For more minor celebrities, the "death bounce" tends not to matter too much and is only temporary. Values return back to normal pretty soon. For very well known people, speculators jump on autographs fast and the demand and price will rise. I think true fans should already have the signatures if they ever wanted them, so it's more than morbid, but it represents the capping of the supply to some people.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I read in "Comic Cards and Their Prices" that many characters did make their trading card first appearance in Comic Images' "Marvel Universe" set from 1987. I don't understand how that set wouldn't count. A character is either on a card or not.

I was talking to someone else about when I learn that a celebrity has died, I now immediately think about whether I have a card with that person on it but it's not wondering if the card might go up in value. It's weirder than that. It's now because, if I have one, I'll make a point of scanning it for Bill's Non-Sport Obituaries thread especially if it's not something regularly seen.

I agree with Raven that most celebrity autograph cards either bump up a bit and then dip back or they don't go up at all after the person dies. In the case of David Bowie, I think he signed for just one set, and because he's one of those celebrities with a loyal longtime following across a unique career, his card did jump in value and might continue to rise. I would still like to get the Dawn Wells' Topps 75th autograph in any case just because I remember watching "Gilligan's Island" with family and friends after it went into syndication in the early 70's.

Jess

quote:
When 1990 Marvel Universe Series 1 cards blew up last month or the month before, I saw a lot of eBay listings with "rookie card" in the title.

Sorry to have derailed the "cards to watch" discussion. Back on topic: Has anyone compiled a list of the oldest actors from Star Trek/Star Wars/other franchises? I know it's morbid but maybe some of their auto cards will skyrocket when they pass.

That doesn't always seem to be the case, though. Various cards signed by Dawn Wells from Gilligan's Island didn't pop after she died in December, probably because so few people know she signed any cards.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:

It’s similar to how many baseball card collectors think of 1952 Topps as the beginning of the modern baseball cards and is the home of Mickey Mantle’s Rookie Card. But there were baseball cards made years before 1952 and Mickey Mantle Rookie Card is in 1951 Bowman.

For many, that 1990 Marvel Universe by Impel was/is the start of the “modern” Marvel cards because it’s closer resemblance to sports cards since it has “stats” on the back of the card. Very odd reason to hang your hat on, but I’ve heard that many times since 1990 and more so over the last year. So that loose association with being the “first” modern Marvel card set means that, of course, every character in that set has it’s “rookie” card in there Roll Eyes

Maybe it’s just people trying to manipulate the market’s perceptions on what the “Rookie Cards” and “First Appearances” could/should be for Marvel trading cards to give certain cards slightly more relevance for the hobby to fixate on. In comic books, there’s various terms for a character’s first appearances that help bring focus on different issues: First FULL Appearance, First CAMEO Appearances, First COVER Appearance, First Appearances IN FLASHBACK, First Appearance WITH DIALOGUE, and so on. If there is just one card/issue (or even a handful) for the market to zero in on to chase then those will be valued more than just any card with their picture on it.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No new pointers for awhile I guess, so here's one I didn't even know about . . .

Hannah Waddingham, who has several autograph cards in Game of Thrones as Septa Unella, won an Emmy on Sunday for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for her role on Ted Lasso. That's one of those streaming comedy shows that gets raves from all the other actors, but I have never seen it because somehow I don't find them very funny. Big Grin

Anyway it should help her signature cards. Can't hurt. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
And speaking of the Emmys, Jean Smart just took home Best Actress in a Comedy Series for Hacks.

She has had over a 40 year career in comedy and drama and hit the Emmy trifecta. She now has a lead, supporting and guest Emmy. Only Betty White has also completed the triangle.

So Jean Smart has only one certified autograph card that I know about in Season Five of "24". It books in the new Non-Sport Almanac as $10 - $25.

Yeah, this is the kind of autograph card that deserves way better and its just because collector Demand often focuses on the wrong celebrities. I got one a long time ago. Smile

Just realized she also signed in that final set of Psych Seasons 5 - 8. Big $12 - $30 range on that one. I have it too. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Evan Peters, who has "American Horror Story" autograph cards from Breygent won Best Supporting Actor (Limited Series, Movie, or Anthology Series) for "Mare of Easttown".

I have his card from AHS and Waddingham's from GoT already. I didn't know Smart had even one, let alone two to choose from, but I'm definitely picking one up, probably the "Psych". Smart's been killing it lately: "Fargo" (FX), "Legion" (FX) ,"Watchmen" (HBO), "Mare of Easttown" (HBO), and now "Hacks" (HBO Max). She's been outstanding in each series.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Around 5 years ago, Jean Smart, was coming to a local screening of an independent film in Mississippi. I was put asked to director her in. I was put on a cellphone with her and got to direct her to the cinema. She was very lovely to talk with. After the showing she went out with a group of young actors (including my son) which was incredibly nice of her.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
No new pointers for awhile I guess, so here's one I didn't even know about . . .

Hannah Waddingham, who has several autograph cards in Game of Thrones as Septa Unella, won an Emmy on Sunday for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for her role on Ted Lasso.

I think this is your evil plan to get the rest of us collecting GoT autographs with you!!! Twak

FINE! I go look her up!

I have always like Jean Smart and have both of her cards. I agree, like so many she is another one flying under the value radar. Good for those who like her but in this nuthouse hobby I wouldn't wait if you are still in the market.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
I think this is your evil plan to get the rest of us collecting GoT autographs with you!!! Twak

FINE! I go look her up!

Yes, it is my master plan to become the most powerful social influencer of non-sport cards and have the hobby markets raise and fall at my whims (said while rubbing hands together and cackling like a loon}. Big Grin

Someone at my LHS asked me the other day if I would buy the cards if anyone made them for House of the Dragon? No, I'm not doing that again. Razz

Speaking of Smart, the Psych auto checklists for the two CZE releases on Seasons 1 - 4 and Seasons 5 -8 are loaded with good recognizable actors, many of whom didn't sign in other titles. Besides getting the main stars James Roday, Dule Hill, Kristen Nelson, Timothy Omundson and Corbin Bernsen, the guest signers include the already mentioned Jean Smart, Billy Zane, Jason Priestley, Robert Patrick, Lesley Ann Warren, George Takei, French Stewart, Nestor Carbonell, Val Kilmer, Ralph Macchio, Anthony Anderson, Ally Sheedy, Jaleel White, Rachel Leigh Cook, Greg Gunberg and Vanessa Lachy, plus some others you may know.

The cards are from 2013 and 2015 and last I saw they won't break the Bank, so I don't think there is a ton of demand for a past TV show, but they are fun sets to make and the autographs are solid. Now let's see if anybody listens to me and looks. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ok, I picked up Hannah.....are you happy now!?!?

Didn't realize who she was until I saw the cards. Spent a little more for the nicer sig. Seems like her inscription cards have uglier signatures.

Absolutely! Psych is the example of a TV show card set done right. Today Topps can't even score one decent guest star for the Mandalorian 2 release but stuff like this knocks it out of the park.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
And you're forgetting her bestselling cookbook, "Fun With Food". We may never know what changed her mind! Big Grin
I don’t come on here as much as I should, but she did two east coast book signings for that ‘cookbook’. She signed “SMG” on all of them. Some people that got the book at the Barnes & Noble signing were so angered they returned the signed book and got their money back. It’s certainly the worst autograph I own. Glad she actually signed her name on the autograph cards.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jane:
quote:
And you're forgetting her bestselling cookbook, "Fun With Food". We may never know what changed her mind! Big Grin
I don’t come on here as much as I should, but she did two east coast book signings for that ‘cookbook’. She signed “SMG” on all of them. Some people that got the book at the Barnes & Noble signing were so angered they returned the signed book and got their money back. It’s certainly the worst autograph I own. Glad she actually signed her name on the autograph cards.

I did order that signed edition from B&N and it came back "XOXO Sarah Michelle", which is better than "SMG" and it cost little. Surely she knows that when her autograph is not free, paying customers deserve her full and very legible signature, but you have to watch out with her. I think she was doing "SMG" at personal paid show signings too, so if you contract anything from her make sure you have a guarantee for a full signature.

To me the best bet for demand and certification is one of her 4 RA Buffy cards that are either FB, B, GOLD or with the Relic. Some of them were selling under $200 for what was an original set SRP around $399, so if you waited to buy it worked out well. The main thing after the full autograph is that its on a licensed Buffy item.

Geller is now very much like what Emilia Clarke looks like she will become in a few years. Both of them have lots of fans because the character they played has lots of fans. Take the role away and there is not so much there. Wink

mykdude, I didn't know what Waddingham even looked liked under that GoT costume until I saw the Emmy photos. She's what they call in my neighborhood a 3Bs, Big Bosomy Blonde. That's not an insult, most 3Bs are proud of the attention. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I did order that signed edition from B&N and it came back "XOXO Sarah Michelle", which is better than "SMG" and it cost little. Surely she knows that when her autograph is not free, paying customers deserve her full and very legible signature, but you have to watch out with her. I think she was doing "SMG" at personal paid show signings too, so if you contract anything from her make sure you have a guarantee for a full signature.

To me the best bet for demand and certification is one of her 4 RA Buffy cards that are either FB, B, GOLD or with the Relic. Some of them were selling under $200 for what was an original set SRP around $399, so if you waited to buy it worked out well. The main thing after the full autograph is that its on a licensed Buffy item.

Geller is now very much like what Emilia Clarke looks like she will become in a few years. Both of them have lots of fans because the character they played has lots of fans. Take the role away and there is not so much there. Wink

mykdude, I didn't know what Waddingham even looked liked under that GoT costume until I saw the Emmy photos. She's what they call in my neighborhood a 3Bs, Big Bosomy Blonde. That's not an insult, most 3Bs are proud of the attention. Smile

SMG was also supposed to do fan photos, as had been advertised on B&N’s website, but she’d just had botox and it was quite obvious. The whole thing was a fiasco and I wasted a sick day from work. I subsequently picked up her RA signed costume card for under $200 last year.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! I completely missed that Curt Smith from Tears for Fears signed for Psych!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
SMG was also supposed to do fan photos, as had been advertised on B&N’s website, but she’d just had botox and it was quite obvious. The whole thing was a fiasco and I wasted a sick day from work. I subsequently picked up her RA signed costume card for under $200 last year.

Big Grin Forgive me, but going to a book signing to find the signer too puffed up with Botox to interact with her fans sounds absolutely hysterical. I'm sure it was a waste of time for you and everyone else, but the mental image is straight out of a TV comedy show. Smile

I have that same RA auto/relic. I balked at paying those original RA prices because, even though I wanted just one licensed SMG autograph, she wasn't worth $350 to me. I thought the supply would absorb fast, but it didn't. I also thought the prices would hold and they didn't. I also thought the auto/relic would have the most demand and it seemed to have the least demand as it became the cheapest one to pick up.

So I was 100% wrong. Big Grin I picked up the auto/relic for $179 in 2017. Since you got yours last year for around the same price, I guess even the card market uptick hasn't effected it much. That's a good thing because even for a Buffy fan, I can't make the case for spending more than that on her autograph. But I think we did good. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah- it's a great card. Bought it when it came out as I thought it would be neat for an 80s buff like me.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah that wasn't done well at all. They should have at least honored the photo if SMG was all we were going to get.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CordeliaChase_Fan:
quote:

Yeah- it's a great card. Bought it when it came out as I thought it would be neat for an 80s buff like me.

Val

Absolutely! I am always trying to keep my eyes open for those music cross over sigs. It's one thing when Pop Century, Spectrum or Americana does it but really cool when they play a character in a show or movie. Coolio from Daredevil, Marilyn Manson and Henry Rollins in SOA, Bobby Brown with Ghostbusters just to name a few.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Just saw that Alan Ritchson (Smallville auto card) is playing Jack Reacher in the new Amazon series beginning Feb 4.

Other signers in the cast are Bruce McGill and Lost in Space Max Jenkins who plays young Reacher.

Kristin Kreuk is in it as well but I don't believe she signed anything. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.