Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bang Done
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
As we wrap up the 12th and final season of The Big Bang Theory, I can't help but wonder what happened to all the cards we could have had? We got 4 sets from Crypotzoic covering Seasons 1 & 2, Seasons 3 & 4, Season 5 and ending with Seasons 6 & 7. Considering that the characters in TBBT are probably as close to being like us as we will get in a TV show, what with their gaming cards and comic books and hobby memorabilia, why didn't TBBT cards continue thru the run of the show? Will we ever get anything from the last the 5 seasons or any complete series set?

It doesn't look like it and that's a shame. I don't know why Crypto stopped, but I guess they weren't making enough money on it. The license was probably expensive. It looked like some of major actors weren't signing anymore. Unlike some recent franchises, no other card maker seemed to want to take it up.

Still TBBT had at least 3 stars still signing and some very good guest stars and secondary cast members that provided autographs. In the coming week William Shatner will appear, another one in a long list of Star Trek actors to do an episode. Over the years guests like Stan Lee, Carrie Fisher, Leonard Nimoy and Stephen Hawking passed away. It would have been great if someone had gotten them on TBBT cards. Sketch cards were never authorized in any of the sets. That would be neat too.

Anyway, for some reason TBBT cards don't get a lot of mention anymore, even though the show is going out as still a top rated comedy. I think it has lost some stream since the cast matured and went into the "family mode", but I think most fans still watch it. I hope someone may try to scrape up a complete run when it ends up, but that may be difficult at this late stage when people have moved on. The Big Bang Theory has to be a classic and reruns will go on for a long time. I just wish we had done a better job of supporting the cards so that we had more of them.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Agree wholeheartedly with your statements. Great show, one of my all-time favorites. I also admit that it has lost a bit of steam lately, but the focus of the show has shifted from the guys and one girl to a whole ensemble. While this is not a bad thing, it makes trying to fit multiple storylines into a 30-minute show extremely difficult.

Who knows, maybe some day another card company will pick up the franchise and make a "Complete TBBT" set. Autographs may be difficult at that point, but I guess it's better than nothing...

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I would have liked to see a Teller card.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
As a collector, just an observation. Season 1/2 cards were underproduced. Season 3/4 was solid. Season 5 was extremely overproduced. When season 6/7 set came out there were just so many costume cards of the main seven characters that buying a box was a losing investment and so most people I know bought it for next to nothing from case crackers. I got a mini master and 10 costume cards for 25 bucks for the season 6/7 set. I think when Cryptozoic looked at the uneven numbers they figured it was time to stop.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

There was a Penn and Teller dual autograph for Babylon 5 season 5.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

There was a Penn and Teller dual autograph for Babylon 5 season 5.

There have been a number of Penn & Teller cards (I'm aware of at least 6). But all as a pair -- none (as far as I know) of either one as a single.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
In the history of cards sitcoms have always been tough as far as continued consistency. There are just so many pictures of the cast in familiar stage sets that you can handle.

Instead of droning on in this season after season thing maybe a couple of sets focusing on all the guest stars would be nice.

I can respect Chuck Lorre for killing the show before it turned into something horrible like the last 4 seasons of two and a half men.

or quite possibly the cast salaries have priced the show out of existence.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post