Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Card giveaway SDCC 2016
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Card giveaway SDCC 2016
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted
Advertisments for upcoming sets always show the best cards in the set. It's to get the interest in a set to those who may not ordinarily buy that subject, get new people interested, and to keep regular buyers happy that the quality is there. To this end, the big money artists are prominent.
I'm a big fan of Cryptozoic and their DC sets, so I was very disappointed to see them running contests at SDCC giving away sketches by Tony Perna, Melike Acar, Ray Ortiz and Bob Stevlic. All these are limited in number, so the chances of pulling one is slim. Even slimmer now they haven't even reached a pack! What a crock! Any thoughts about this?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Advertisments for upcoming sets always show the best cards in the set. It's to get the interest in a set to those who may not ordinarily buy that subject, get new people interested, and to keep regular buyers happy that the quality is there. To this end, the big money artists are prominent.
I'm a big fan of Cryptozoic and their DC sets, so I was very disappointed to see them running contests at SDCC giving away sketches by Tony Perna, Melike Acar, Ray Ortiz and Bob Stevlic. All these are limited in number, so the chances of pulling one is slim. Even slimmer now they haven't even reached a pack! What a crock! Any thoughts about this?

They hold back cards for replacements anyway. I'd rather see them give these away in contests than sell them on Ebay.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I know they hold some back, but when you've got an artist that has only drew 10 cards and they remove 10% for a contest, it grates a bit. This then begs the question of how many actually made the packs and how many were held back. I wasn't aware Cryptozoic sold on Ebay.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I appreciate a well done sketch card, but it's been rare that I've actually tried to buy one that I saw for sale. Sketch cards are not my prime focus, so I have more of an easy going attitude toward them. I never expect to pull more than an average sketch and I usually don't make it up to average. Big Grin

I am resigned to the fact that many of the great sketch cards you see advertised by the manufacturers don't make it into packs and were in fact never intended to make it into packs. There is a complicated system of compensation that has been worked out between the companies and the contributing artists. Artist Returns or Artist Proofs or blank cardboards given to the artists are part of it. There is also the holding back of sketches for damaged returns and other reasons known only to the parties involved. As merely a card collector, the only thing I can do about it is stop buying those products that I think have a below average quality of cards, including the hits.

Since you bring up this particular giveaway, I have to say that I am not really concerned about the artists chosen. It's a promotion and any company is going to pick better items for the rewards. Also, for the reasons stated, who knows if the prizes would have ever made the packs anyway.

To me the larger issue is that I'm not going to SDCC. A whole lot of folks are not going to SDCC. This promotion therefore does nothing for me or them. I don't resent it, there are always freebies at shows.

Does it have to be something of very high quality? Probably not, anything free is good.

Couldn't there be some lottery whereby people not going to SDCC have a shot at something? Sure, why not.

So in closing, this doesn't bother me because it's part of the way things are done, but you asked the question and that's the best way I can answer it. It would be nicer if many people could get something small, instead of a couple of people in the right place getting something big. No disrespect to CZE intended, I fully agree that it is better for them to give stuff away at a show than hold it back, if those are the only choices. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know they hold some back, but when you've got an artist that has only drew 10 cards and they remove 10% for a contest, it grates a bit. This then begs the question of how many actually made the packs and how many were held back. I wasn't aware Cryptozoic sold on Ebay.

They probably kept back one from each artist. OR they pulled a set number randomly from the pool. In all fairness, if someone gets skunked on a box that's missing a guaranteed sketch, they should have as much a shot at a great sketch as everyone else who pulled one.

And I wasn't inferring that Cryptozoic sold on Ebay, but some card manufacturers have been known to, and I'll leave it at that.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go to the Cryptozoic Entertainment home page, under News and Articles, there is a link to this contest. There are 9 ways to enter (Facebook, Twitter, tec.). Also check out their No Purchase Necessary contests!

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: April 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bond:
If you go to the Cryptozoic Entertainment home page, under News and Articles, there is a link to this contest. There are 9 ways to enter (Facebook, Twitter, tec.). Also check out their No Purchase Necessary contests!

Now that's a nice offer to at least get yourself involved in the contest and have a chance at snagging a freebie, but who new it was happening? People visiting CZE's website I guess. Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can understand someone being irked after buying a case or even just a box of a given set and finding out later that the odds of getting one of the best/rarest cards in the set is lower than previously thought. That person actually bought the product, actually supporting the company in a real way. Meanwhile, some guy in San Diego spins the wheel and gets one for free.

On the other hand you can also think of it as the company wanting to do something special for its customers attending the show. Imagine being a collector who bought a box but didn't pull a "good" sketch from it. Imagine being that person attending the show and finding out about the chance to get one for free. That would be a great surprise, wouldn't it?

Keep in mind that various companies have also held back some SDCC exclusives for "friends" who did not attend the show so it works that way too.

quote:

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if the winners of these contests were big sketch fans? Maybe one of them will be willing to trade Wink
It think it was cool of CZE to make the contest available to fans and collectors at the show AND via social media. At least these cards got to see the light of day instead of sitting in a replacement draw in an office. I just wish that I would have won one of them Smile

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post