Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apollo 13
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Back when "Apollo 13" came out, I remember hearing something about a set of cards for the movie. Obviously, the set was never published.

Does anyone know anything about it? Was a manufacturer announced? Was it announced in NSU? It didn't get as far as promo cards, did it?

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
I don't recall ever seeing any promo cards Bill, the only promotional item I'm aware of was the Hardees POG set - if I remember correctly, it was a set of 20 POGS, a couple of aluminum slammers, and a trading card sized checklist (and a wrapper of course). I have the set itself, but I wasn't ever able to find/acquire the set of "collector tubes" that went together to make a mockup of the Apollo Saturn V spacecraft - clever and kind of cool considering the source.

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of the cards in that Universal 100th anniversary set randomly inserted with Blu-Rays was for Apollo 13.

There was also a 2-sticker panel given out at Target stores. It was about 4x4 inches.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
No, it’s not those, Bill is absolutely right there was a planned Apollo 13 set planned, my memory is that they could not get image approvals for some of the actors so the set was cancelled. Probably a Fleer/Skybox planned release. I don’t have access to my NSU’s from then but it was planned.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I checked my NSU back issues but I have just one from 1994 and two from late '95. None mention a set, but since the movie was released in June '95, it's likely any mention of cards would've been early that year.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post