Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    any interest in animal cards?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

any interest in animal cards?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
I'm working on artwork for my next series of cards. Of the 16 to 20 base cards, I wanted to make one animal. Just wondered if there is even any interest in animal cards even if the animal is cool. My top contenders are albino ape and flying fox. One card isnt a deal breaker for a set obviously, just wondered if there is even slight interest in animals. I've only done apes and horses before, and they seemed popular. Some "retro" crazes dont translate to modern buyers, though.

Thanks

Evan
Studio-Hades

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actually I have thought before that there might be a market for the more popular domestic pets like cats and dogs. I know a few people who collect all types of cat memorabilia and would probably be interested in a breeds of cat set.

Not sure about exotic animals though. Probably depends on the type of set as a whole. The Cryptids set from Viceroy did sell out eventually but took a while to do so. I would say there is a market but it's not a big one.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
Actually I have thought before that there might be a market for the more popular domestic pets like cats and dogs. I know a few people who collect all types of cat memorabilia and would probably be interested in a breeds of cat set.

That's what I was thinking, too. I own a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and have a number of corgi-related collectibles, including trading cards. I also have two Siamese cats and collect related items, as well.

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well if you wanted to be politically correct and environmentally friendly, how about an endangered species set. Sadly that could make for a lot of cards. Shake Head

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is an example. Only animal in the set. Just wondering, ditch animal idea altogether and just devote that card to a more popular subject. I do like the endangered species idea though it would be easy to get a lot of funding, id end up donating a ton of time effort and money to WWF (not wrestling, the wildlife one)

Evan
Studio Hades

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I love the endangered species set idea, I would definitely be in on that Smile

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There have been endangered species sets before, with photos. I love the idea of artwork showing expressions and "personality", if that's not too anthropomorphic or too cute. But I'm a card junkie, and I'm not sure a set would attract the huddled masses away from the internet.

If you did endangered species or something like it, I'd think you'd feel compelled to research the history, geography, etc. for the card backs. Maybe another idea would be a novel themed set that might really tie to artwork, like "Animals Behaving Badly" or "Animal Movie Stars" (where you could use images you might have thought of for Oz, Lone Ranger, etc.) ... Wink

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I collect Cigarette/Tobacco cards as well as trading cards and some of my favourite sets are of wild-life including Butterflies and Moths. A set on endangered species would have some appeal.

Not sure on a mass appeal but would have a limited appeal.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Studio-Hades:
Here is an example. Only animal in the set. Just wondering, ditch animal idea altogether and just devote that card to a more popular subject. I do like the endangered species idea though it would be easy to get a lot of funding, id end up donating a ton of time effort and money to WWF (not wrestling, the wildlife one)

Evan
Studio Hades

If you use the idea don't forget to give me a credit. Big Grin

Honestly I don't know how popular it would be on it's own, but an endangered species set as a tie in to a charity is worth looking into. I get all sorts of calendars, greeting cards, pictures, etc. from these organizations when they want donations. Its not just WWF, there are marine mammals, gorillas, rain forest, African wildlife, you name it and someone is trying to save it.

And animal cards are cool for kids. Thumb Up

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
There have been endangered species sets before, with photos. I love the idea of artwork showing expressions and "personality", if that's not too anthropomorphic or too cute. But I'm a card junkie, and I'm not sure a set would attract the huddled masses away from the internet.

If you did endangered species or something like it, I'd think you'd feel compelled to research the history, geography, etc. for the card backs. Maybe another idea would be a novel themed set that might really tie to artwork, like "Animals Behaving Badly" or "Animal Movie Stars" (where you could use images you might have thought of for Oz, Lone Ranger, etc.) ... Wink

I agree, I think interesting fact on the back is a must if you did endangered species cards.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The best thing about an endangered species set would be the relic cards. Rhino Horn pieces and ivory slices, and tiger pelt swatches.

Oh wait. Forget I said that. Nix the relic cards.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Studio-Hades:
The best thing about an endangered species set would be the relic cards. Rhino Horn pieces and ivory slices, and tiger pelt swatches.

Oh wait. Forget I said that. Nix the relic cards.

Those are the kind of remarks that will put you on the PETA hit list. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
If you did Guinea Pig cards I would be all over that in a heartbeat and know a ton of non card collectors that would also be all over it.

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I've been told that i'm an endangered species so best do a wolfie card before it's too late. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
There was a set of animal cards from the 80s

http://bestofthe80s.wordpress....4/wildlife-treasury/

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If this discussion has engendered an interest in the endangered etc., you can see other animals card sets where we've been able to collate full checklists: Animals/Nature Mainstream Sets and Animals & Birds Tea/Tobacco/Trade Card Sets.

I point out that the older (mostly U.K.) small format sets have a lot of great images and text writeups, and are sometimes very inexpensive (especially if you are willing to forego NMT for some of the oldest/rarest). Some of the classics were reprinted.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At this point i am leaning towards rare/exotic animals and exremophiles. But artwork instead of photos. Of course im biased, but I think most cards that are'nt from licensed properties like tv shows and whatnot should all have artwork rather than photos.

Still, there isnt such a fascination with animals and big game hunting (politically incorrect anyway) like there was Pre-WW2.

posted Hide Post
My friend surprised me by showing of a full set of reptile trading cards from Diamondback Trading Cards. It had excellent pictures, very good information on the back and was printed on a nice type of paper which gave it a sturdy yet elegante feel to it.

And he is not a trading card collector...

The sad news for me is that he doesn't wanna give them up and they aren't for sale anywhere that I have seen. Not even the creator of the cards have any left in his own collection/stock.

If you do like reptiles, and can get a hold of those cards, I highly recommend them.

Posts: 16 | Location: Malmö, Sweden | Registered: November 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'd love a bullmastiff card .I could supply photos too

Posts: 91 | Location: ma | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Since someone has now revived this thread and since I missed having my two pennoth worth last time round, I'll jump in now.
Most people on this forum know that I only collect to 2000 but let me assure you that if there was one genre of cards that would be guaranteed to drag me kicking and screaming into this decade (year of the fruit bat) it would be an animal set. If it was even half-way decent I would grab a set immediately. My preference (in order) would be:
1. Dogs
2. Domestic pets
3. Endangered species
4. African animals
5. A "Most Wanted" set showing pictures of poachers, dealers and end users of endangered animals parts.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post