Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    any interest in animal cards?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

any interest in animal cards?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A poachers/end users set would be really interesting especially with artwork - gory artwork of bushmeat markets and rhinos getting their horns sawm off - like Civil War News or Horrors of War. But it would probably be deemed racist considering most of the poachers of the most endangered / exinct are African. Quotes from people like Dian Fossey certainly wouldnt help matters. Would have made a great set in the 1930s though.

Studio Hades

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't think collectors would like gory artwork of dead animals, no matter how you frame it. Don't you know that you can rack up the body count of people in any movie, but once the pet gets it, the audience goes crazy.

Personally I've never gotten over Mad Max's little dog. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Raven. Old Yeller and Turner & Hooch put me off watching Marley & Me forever! But if you really want some gut-wrenching try the Aussie tear jerker Red Dog (get out the roll of paper towel, tissues just won't cope)

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't you know that you can rack up the body count of people in any movie, but once the pet gets it, the audience goes crazy.

That's because for most people, pets = unconditional love. Seeing a pet get brutally tortured and killed onscreen is a sadistic display of violence against an innocent. Yeah, it may be part of the story line but it still makes most people sick to their stomachs.

As for "artwork" depicting mutilated animals - please don't. I mean, c'mon. Confused

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The purpose WOULD be to shock, thats sometimes the only way to get people to change their behaviours. Much the same way THE DAY AFTER, THREADS and WHEN THE WIND BLOWS changed politicians views on nuclear war.

In any case its too late for most of the endangerd animals - the african and indonesian ones anyway, you really have to start changing attitudes like that on a generational level.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post