Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    1/1 cut signatures - Indiana Jones Heritage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1/1 cut signatures - Indiana Jones Heritage
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

So I have been meaning to post over here that whilst of focusing on building up my Indiana Jones Heritage collection, I opened some cases and pulled this card. It's one of just two 1/1 cut signatures that were in the product, the other I believe was pulled fairly close to release and features Denholm Elliot.

Thanks,
richo

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That is one of those good news/bad news cards. It doesn't get more special and hardly any one would know Pat Roach.

I didn't until I googled the name and it turns out that I can see why TOPPS made that cut card, along with the better known Elliot. Roach played small villain parts in all 3 of the Indiana Jones films and had passed away before the last one. He actually played 2 different parts in the first one.

So congrats on a unique card with a neat story. Thumb Up

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Much more well known over here in the UK. He was a wrestler on TV back in the 80s, as well as in the popular drama Auf Wiedersehn Pet. He also played villains in lots of films, including Never say Never again. He was in all 3 Indiana Jones films, but I think his main part in The Last Crusade was cut. He was the German mechanic who fought Indy around the Flying Wing.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Can we get a picture of the front?

Posts: 1570 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish:
Thanks. Much more well known over here in the UK. He was a wrestler on TV back in the 80s, as well as in the popular drama Auf Wiedersehn Pet.

Oh Auf Wiedersehn Pet, I must have missed that one. Big Grin

It is funny how there are fairly well known celebrities in different places that are not known outside their countries. I always think of the UK and USA as having pretty much the same entertainment background because they are both English speaking and most of the better TV shows do get shown in both countries. But it isn't really true because I don't know many of the names that show up in the obituary thread here and a lot of the Dr. Who signers don't ring any bells with me. I do watch a fair amount of British mystery/crime series.

I wonder if it is the same thing when you guys in the UK look at some of the actors that appear in US made card sets? Or do you find that you know most of them?

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You can find almost anything broadcast in the USA now on a channel in the UK ( apart from Once Upon a Time Mad ) but thirty years ago it was very different with only three channels.

Basically if the actor has been in something this century I will know them, anything earlier and unless it was something really popular like Charlie's Angels or Starsky and Hutch I would probably have to look them up on the internet.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I wonder if it is the same thing when you guys in the UK look at some of the actors that appear in US made card sets? Or do you find that you know most of them?

Allthough some of the american tv series are shown on uk tv, a lot of them are only shown on pay per view channels so the vast majority of the people here never see them in which case actors who are well known in the usa are totally unknown to most people over here.

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Quite a lot of the current US show card sets are only shown on UK Subscription channels so are only watched by a small percentage of population.

Game of Thrones, Arrow, American Horror Story, Flash to name a few (the last couple of seasons of Dexter, last couple of seasons of Lost) - so even the card set is dificult to get into - if these shows have new actors in them then I wouldn't know them. I have purchased GOT/Arrow/Dexter on DVD so that is OK but others pass me by! I know some of these shows are also shown just on US cable channels but they still get a relatively high viewing figure

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Game of Thrones, Arrow, American Horror Story, Flash to name a few (the last couple of seasons of Dexter, last couple of seasons of Lost)

They only showed the last couple of seasons of Lost? That's just cruel!!

Posts: 4854 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Game of Thrones, Arrow, American Horror Story, Flash to name a few (the last couple of seasons of Dexter, last couple of seasons of Lost)

They only showed the last couple of seasons of Lost? That's just cruel!!
Not quite, the last couple of seasons of Lost were only shown on subscription TV not free to air channels...which might be even crueler for those who watched the earlier seasons and could not or would not pay for the subscription channels.

Is it any wonder that GoT is officially the most downloaded TV show anywhere in the World ? I suspect a lot of the UK fanbase watch it via that route rather than pay money to Mr Murdoch for the privilege Big Grin

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:

the last couple of seasons of Lost were only shown on subscription TV not free to air channels...which might be even crueler for those who watched the earlier seasons and could not or would not pay for the subscription channels.

This was me, i watched the first 3 or 4 seasons of Lost and then it went to pay per view so i have no idea what happened.

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
This was me, i watched the first 3 or 4 seasons of Lost and then it went to pay per view so i have no idea what happened.

Consider yourself lucky, Lost was a disgrace as far as what it promised and what it wound up delivering. One big shell game with no pay off.

I do not pay for cable either. In the US that is a minority position, at least among the people I talk to. They say, "Oh, you have only basic cable". I say,"No, I have no cable". That seems stunning to them. Paying $190 a month just for cable subscriptions seems stunning to me. Big Grin

Get the DVD season if it's a good show. Most are only good for the first 3 years anyway.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
First of all, that's a great card! It must be a big thrill to pull a 1/1 autograph. But at the same time it's sad for us completists, who are becoming more and more discouraged by these impossible to get chase cards. I usually just don't consider them part of the master set, mainly because I have no other option in this regard.

Secondly, I have not had cable for MANY years. 99 channels and nothing on is not far from the truth. I also VERY rarely watch broadcast TV. As with the card companies, network television is doing its darndest to push me away from its own product. The constant banners of useless information flowing across the bottom of the screen, or advertising 'What's on next!', and the ever shifting around station logos, distract me so much I turn the program off in disgust after only a few minutes of trying to watch it. And I haven't even mentioned the annoying beyond belief commercial breaks. I don't have TVO either, and I admit I don't know much about it. I either rent or buy DVDs, which constitutes 99% of my TV watching. If these become obsolete due to streaming, etc., I will be forced to change my viewing habits, but for now I'm happy with the way it is.

I really liked LOST, up to the last episode or two. Until then, it was utterly fascinating. I agree they sure didn't explain what the heck was going on though!

Posts: 2503 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. Why can't we see the front?? Loved his character.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post