Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
dodgy costume card on famous auction site?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/5317064806

August 17, 2011, 06:41 PM
STCardGeek
dodgy costume card on famous auction site?
quote:
Originally posted by markdennett:
wish webjon would take a look im sure he would know.one way or another!but after looking on wixibans website this is a fake and a bloody bad one!

I'm a big wixiban fan, but his site doesn't have any of the piping variants (at least no thtat I saw), so there's nothing to compare it to.

August 17, 2011, 07:25 PM
john the hat
with respect mod that does not like any piping I have ever seen

August 17, 2011, 07:50 PM
Juelle Lou
I think STCardGeek is right, I'm guessing most of you guys haven't had much to do with dress making?
It looks to me like the piece has been cut too small compared the the square hole that it sits under, and the piping has worked it's way out because there isn't anything holding it in.
If you're going by the colour of the fabric, well they look pretty close to me. Different scanners can make colours look different, but the fabric itself looks to be the same as they both seem to have the same sheen to them.
August 17, 2011, 08:58 PM
STCardGeek
quote:
Originally posted by john the hat:
with respect mod that does not like any piping I have ever seen

Have you seen ANY piping? Considering your initial posting said "fake nowhere does the uniform go black gold black, it would either be black/gold or gold/black", I'd wonder..
ANYWAY....I've done all I can... Wink

August 17, 2011, 10:51 PM
Raven
I've seen plenty of costume cards that had piping, seams, frayed cuts, tears and button holes. Some of the patches were just poor fits for the size and thickness of the card slot. Whether you consider them to be rare and valuable variants or just damaged cards that should be discounted is up to the eye of the beholder.

This particular card doesn't look very pretty and I sure wouldn't pay $500 for it in any case, but that does not make it a fake. And if there are similar colors and piping out there, and if someone with a lot of experience with ST says its good, well I think I'll believe that. Wink
August 18, 2011, 03:33 AM
HIM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Freddy:

To me the color looks "off", but that's just my old eyes, I guess.

[QUOTE]

Same here...looks more brown than STNG gold.

August 18, 2011, 04:35 AM
ajdedo
Listen morons, the card is real. I collect variants and I've got one just like it. Just because you haven't seen it before, doesn't make it not real. Has anyone here ever seen an actual gallbladder? Probably not. How would you know what a gallbladder even looks like if you never saw it? And by not seeing something, how does that make you an expert? Quite the opposite. I would think that if you never saw something, you would be the LAST person to share your expertise on it. Why don't you just leave it to a doctor to tell you what a gallbladder looks like, and the people who actually have this card to tell you what this card should look like.

August 18, 2011, 05:26 AM
goldenavenger
I've been following this and I thought it was cleared up when STCardGeek chimmed in but there were still doubters. I think this puts the nail in the coffin.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744
August 18, 2011, 06:13 AM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by ajdedo:

Listen morons,

Very helpful, not! Shake Head

August 18, 2011, 06:18 AM
X
quote:
Listen morons, the card is real.

Ha ha! Love it!

quote:
And by not seeing something, how does that make you an expert? Quite the opposite. I would think that if you never saw something, you would be the LAST person to share your expertise on it.

Quite.

All this "it must be fake!" culture is getting a little out of hand. There was a post not too long ago when a poster asked if an autograph card was a fake becuase the signature had a smudge. FFS.

...One has to wonder if the person asking the question has ever used a pen!

(Nice cards you have there by the way. Thumb Up But OMG! Some of your Data piping has some fraying at the edges! Are you 100% sure its real? If you didn't pull it from a box yourself I simply won't believe you.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,
August 18, 2011, 06:26 AM
X
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
I"m a little surprised that after seeing that there actually WAS a piping variant that there is such resistance to the idea that this card oculd be legit. Google Encounter at Farpoint, the first episde of TNG and you'll see that there IS piping..it did exist and so could this card. I even edited my iamges of the costumes RA put on their website so you can see without clicking through.....unlike what the poster at the beginning says that there is no possible way for a black yellow black to exist, it clearly DOES.

It's sin seems to be that the gold is seperating a bit...which isn't the same as fake.
Here are the piping variants I have scans of from my USB..sadly they aren't as enlarged as the auctionne. Cards I held in my hands and know are real....

There is a chance that someone could fake a card, I'll give you that....but your initial evidence for not beleiving it was thinking it could not exist and it does...and my opinion is before assuming something is a fake and publically calling a seller out, one needs to be SURE....

Your images may not be as large as the auction but they are big enough to see two things:
1) the golden/brown piping is the same colour
2) the texture of the piping material is the same (made up of tiny squares)

How anybody can keep ignoring the evidence you're serving up on a silver platter is beyond me.

I'll say thanks for chiming in. Even with your input people still doubt it so I dread to think of the mudslinging that would go the sellers way had you not have offered your expert opinion. Plus any future piping cards that may pop up on eBay would have no doubt been resigned to "fake" status. Shake Head
August 18, 2011, 07:50 AM
john the hat
quote:
Posted August 18, 2011 04:35 AM Hide Post

Yes I have seen a gall bladder and I find you atitude somewhat distasteful, I dont think anyone was as NASTY as you we just had our opinion (possibly incorrect but OUR opinion)name calling and classifing people is rude and childish

August 18, 2011, 08:23 AM
JR2D2
It's not often I chime in but that card seems completly legit given the images posted here. Some of those images clearly show that some pieces of fabric have been cut too small or not correctly centered for the window.
August 18, 2011, 12:50 PM
Arvin Sloane
quote:
Originally posted by john the hat:
quote:
Posted August 18, 2011 04:35 AM Hide Post

Yes I have seen a gall bladder and I find you atitude somewhat distasteful, I dont think anyone was as NASTY as you we just had our opinion (possibly incorrect but OUR opinion)name calling and classifing people is rude and childish
`+

The, "Moron" comment was indeed a bit extreme, but considering your initial position on this matter, which was to label this card an, "obvious fake" and then to continue to voice your position without even acknowledging that these cards do in fact exist while providing nothing to support your opinion, what do you expect? The OP didn't help matters as he continued to post negative comments without backing up his position, despite the evidence that was being presented.

Learn from this episode and in the future temper your words when voicing your opinion, unless you have absolute, rock bottom proof to support your postion, otherwise you'll end up just like today.
August 18, 2011, 01:58 PM
Kennywood
Ca-aannn you fe-eeel the lo-ooove ton-iiiiiiiight....

August 18, 2011, 02:51 PM
Sci-FiPlanet
Just to drop in to this thread I have seen variants like this before, including one that was opened in front of me.

Jon is a good guy and he's entitled to his opinion, regardless of how many of us may disagree with it. The name calling isn't something that is usually accepted on these forums. It's unnecessary and seems a little childish, so lets keep it civil folks.

August 18, 2011, 02:57 PM
STCardGeek
I'm going to put the thread to sleep, NOT cause I wasn't successfully able to defend the honor of a poor scraggly card, but becuase it has run it's course and isn't all that productive anymore.
Anyone not agreeing with my decision can contact Harris and he can reopen.