Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    dodgy costume card on famous auction site?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
dodgy costume card on famous auction site?
 Login/Join

posted
looks like someone has got a gold marker and drawn a gold line across a normal card

Any thoughts??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star...&hash=item43a90fa4bd

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Report This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Weird, the brown piece looks as if it is on the outside of the card.

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
An obvious fake nowhere does the uniform go black gold black, it would either be black/gold
or gold/black

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john the hat:
An obvious fake nowhere does the uniform go black gold black, it would either be black/gold
or gold/black

Thats what i thought,one colour at top one at the bottom,approx 50% of each colour.very odd!!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
The seller has solid feedback and does quite a bit of business with Star Trek cards.
Just because I've never seen a card before doesn't mean it's an obvious fake, I'll leave that judgement to our resident ST expert and the folks at Rittenhouse.
From what I could see from the enlarged scan, it appears to have material/threads hanging over the edge of the cutout. Maybe a fake or maybe just a poorly made card.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Report This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Actually, that is the piping variant. Data and Picard have it (and I argue that there is a Yar one as well, though it could be a Data error. If you check the cosutmes throughout the years...one version does have a colored line around the shoulders area. The costume come fron that. This one looks like the gold sperated a bit and came untucked from the card.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
Actually, that is the piping variant. Data and Picard have it (and I argue that there is a Yar one as well, though it could be a Data error. If you check the cosutmes throughout the years...one version does have a colored line around the shoulders area. The costume come fron that. This one looks like the gold sperated a bit and came untucked from the card.

I had a feeling you'd be able to clear this up. Thumb Up

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Report This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
From RA"s website, images of Data and Picard costumes:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: STCardGeek,

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Report This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Please sir, Mr Hat said it was a fake not me. Big Grin

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
and i stand by it as well wolfie

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john the hat:
and i stand by it as well wolfie

me 2,it just aint right!!

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
well, fake or real i would not want it. It does not look right at all, it will be intresting to see if anyone buys it.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
How does that old saying go? "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

If STCardGeek says this variant does indeed exist then that's good enough for me. ST's handled more Star Trek cards than the majority of us have handled regular cards.

Dismissing the card for it's poor quality is one thing, but calling it an, "obvious fake", despite the info that has been presented on this forum calls your objectivity and judgement into serious question. If you've got specific knowledge about this being doctored then lay it out and contact ebay about it.

If I was interested in this card I'd ask plenty of questions, especially when we're talking about a card with such a high selling price. As long as the seller offers a money back guarantee any potential buyer can examine the card and if they aren't satisfied then just return it.

posted Hide Post
"obvious fake" couldnt of said it better myself!!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markdennett:
"obvious fake" couldnt of said it better myself!!

If you can't add anything constructive to this conversation, we're going to send you to the kid's table. Twak

posted Hide Post
Reading further down the page the seller set a high price apparently because they don't want to sell it but trade for another card.

Posts: 146 | Location: San Diego | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, I have to agree with STGeek. It does look like the gold fabric came out from between the cardboard.

To me the color looks "off", but that's just my old eyes, I guess.

But remember the old saying...always go with your first thought or answer. And your first thought that was that this card was "dodgy". And for the amount of money they want for it {or trade} all I can say is, "buyer beware."

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
wish webjon would take a look im sure he would know.one way or another!but after looking on wixibans website this is a fake and a bloody bad one!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markdennett,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Amazing that after STCardGeek gave such a reasoned and logical response (backed up by pictures no less!) but people either won't admit they were wrong or new people crawl out of the woodwork to say stuff like "obvious fake".

There is nothing obviously fake about it. If people are concerned because the gold material has frayed and is outside the card, that is one thing. But it also looks like some of the gold is under the card with the black material as well. If my eyes are not decieving me, this would would be nothing short of miraculous without destroying the card if it were indeed a fake.

I would have guessed the gold piping was taken from the collar section of the newer uniform but STCardGeek is probably bang-on with it being from the collarbone of the older uniforms as RA evidently cut up some of those uniforms.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Report This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I"m a little surprised that after seeing that there actually WAS a piping variant that there is such resistance to the idea that this card oculd be legit. Google Encounter at Farpoint, the first episde of TNG and you'll see that there IS piping..it did exist and so could this card. I even edited my iamges of the costumes RA put on their website so you can see without clicking through.....unlike what the poster at the beginning says that there is no possible way for a black yellow black to exist, it clearly DOES.

It's sin seems to be that the gold is seperating a bit...which isn't the same as fake.
Here are the piping variants I have scans of from my USB..sadly they aren't as enlarged as the auctionne. Cards I held in my hands and know are real....

There is a chance that someone could fake a card, I'll give you that....but your initial evidence for not beleiving it was thinking it could not exist and it does...and my opinion is before assuming something is a fake and publically calling a seller out, one needs to be SURE....