Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
X-Files Contact boxtopper card

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/5237019196

October 31, 2019, 03:41 PM
Will
X-Files Contact boxtopper card
Can anyone tell me if the boxtopper card for this set was included in packs or found separately in the box? Thanks in advance !

Will
November 01, 2019, 10:45 AM
barobehere
It has been so long since I bought a box of this, I can not remember. This is a nice set, I enjoyed working on it.
November 02, 2019, 07:15 PM
piko
wow long time ago
as far as I know Box Topper cards were Just an extra card on the top of the box
I have seen boxes opened but cannot remember if they were even in a cello sleeve
But sometimes these type of cards as well as case cards could be pack inserted
Sorry that is all I know
This is what old age dose to you LOL
November 07, 2019, 11:23 AM
Will
Okay, let me try another question regarding this set--does the boxtopper card even exist? I can see a couple of the case topper cards (acetate "Teen Taken From Tent") listed on eBay, but nothing for the boxtopper card, either on its own or as part of a master/mini-master set.
November 07, 2019, 12:04 PM
cardaddict
My old want list has a 3 card foil strip of S1-S2-S3 on it. Maybe this is the alleged box topper?
November 07, 2019, 12:07 PM
David R
I seem to recall that when I bought the Master set in 1997, it was just the base, the 2 levels of chase, the case topper card, and those uncut strips of the chase cards. No box topper.
November 07, 2019, 05:45 PM
Will
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I seem to recall that when I bought the Master set in 1997, it was just the base, the 2 levels of chase, the case topper card, and those uncut strips of the chase cards. No box topper.

Based on what I can see on eBay, this sounds right. One "mini-master" set and one "master" set are listed there, and neither one mention a boxtopper card. I think it's safe to assume the card does not exist, but if anyone has information to the contrary, please feel free to let me know...
November 07, 2019, 05:47 PM
Tommy C
Jeff Allender's site lists a Bonus Card as a box topper, but I think this might be an error.
November 07, 2019, 06:09 PM
catskilleagle
I'm looking at the NSU price guide from the June-July 1999 issue. When NSU revised the price guide after Bill's passing, I knew I better keep at least one of the last guides from before then and I also dug up one I still had in a box of old card magazines (the 1999 issue). They are points of reference that help for situations like this when our memories get a little fuzzy about 20-year old sets rarely discussed.

The 1999 guide does not list a box topper so it might not exist though Allender does note it as a "bonus card." The 1999 guide does, however, list two different 3-card foil strips with one have a different "marking" than the chase cards and a 3-card acetate strip. Allender lists 4 different 3 card strips accounting for all the 9 foil chase and the 3 acetate chase cards and that they were case purchase incentives.

Jess

I remember the promo. It was in-demand for a while in that $5-10 range but it appears a lot were printed
November 07, 2019, 10:50 PM
piko
after looking at my X Files promos i have found that as I remember in 1997 I purchased 2 X Files Contact Promo cards one coloured black 1 a grey coloured card with the picture quiet legible
and from the same seller three three card strips of the 9 insert cards
Sheet # back in silver foil XF1 has inserts A1 A2 A3
Sheet # back in foil XF2 has inserts A4 A5 A6
Sheet # back in foil XF3 has inserts A7 A8 A9
I purchased these three card strips on the understanding that they were box card incentives
The seller was a small seller and in New Zealand at the time there were no sellers big enough to handle cases so i had no reason to disbelieve him