Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Parallel Collecting Scenario
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parallel Collecting Scenario
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted
Scenario:

You've come across a wonderful card set, even the base cards are plenty interesting, numbering 150 cards. However, there happen to be 5 different parallel sets for this release, matching the base set card for card. So, here's the rub- you don't want to buy all the parallels, but you want at least 1 of each card of the parallels.

Question:
So, here's the question- what parallel cards would you buy? (I added the last two if you really want to vote that way instead)

Choices:
Only all the cards from one parallel set
Any cards from each of the five, as long as you have 150
** I have to have all of them!
** I'd rather have none!

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
Great poll, hopefully it will get a good response.

There are too many releases with parallel sets in imho. Most are of the foil stamped kind and with multiple levels of parallel. I would like to see the occasional release with parallels in but a single level of parallel. Something like 2 to a box for a 90 card base set say but in a style similar to that of Tops Finest sets. Foil stamping is a bit cheap imho.

My point is I would like quality over quantity any day.

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I hate parallel sets!!! Just a waste of a card in the pack.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
I liked the Babylon 5 Season 4 Alien Language Parallel set - something a bit different rather than a different border or being embossed.

Although I did have great pleasure in tracking down The X-Files Seasons 1, 2 & 3 parallel cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Potato Head,

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I only collect Star Wars parallel sets now - I do not both with the base set
Need 5 for galactic files 1 and staring to work on 2 but I only pay around $1
A card - Jedi legacy is a bit harder with green being 1 a box but it's the fun of the chase

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I had to vote that I would want none, because I don't buy parallels and might not even care about a base set that required more than one box to complete. Having said that, its not exactly true. Wink

Just because I don't feel the need to collect parallel sets doesn't mean that I don't like a small number of them, so if I did like it I would look to complete probably the most abundant version. Never the gold brand or whatever is one per box.

Its just that too much of the time parallels merely have a different colored border, a different colored stamp or a bit of foil added. If it also happens that the parallel cards are many and pricey, well that just makes it less likely that a lot of people will want them.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'm not too crazy about parallel cards. Sometimes if they have an interesting variation, such as different backs, or even format (card size, for example, but same image), then I think it's worth the extra investment. In my case, I have limited funds, so gotta make the most of every dollar.

The first time I remember seeing this type of insert was with the Star Wars Galaxy 3 set (I passed on them, btw). Now we're seeing some sets with multiple parallels, so this is where personal preferences come into play. I'm still not sure how I'd vote on this LOL - I think I'd go with the 2nd option- that way, I have all the numbers, but I also get a taste of all the parallel sets. Then again, if they were 'radically' different, I'd have to consider that aspect as well.

Needless to say, it keeps collecting interesting and challenging. Collecting's all about choices, and if you are happy with making compromises, then that's all that counts Smile

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Slightly different choice for me. I would get one set (whichever I liked the look of if they were all reasonably priced). I would also pick one card I really liked and get that same card from each of the sets.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never tried to collect any parallel set. And so far, I've only bought one set, Marvel Universe 2011. I thought they're just too good for a parallel set to pass up, I had to get a complete set.

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine spending a lot of money to get the same images with different boarders, so parallel sets are not my thing. I would go the same way as Tangent. One of the same cards from each variation, just to show what there was available.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batjay
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't care about the parallel sets. To me, the foil stamp doesn't add any more value, it's basically the same card. Now if the card was really different, like turned into a hologram or something, then it would be worth it. Maybe they could just make 10 or so parallel cards of the set in a unique format. As of now I make no effort to collect the parallel sets, beyond what I find in the normal course of box opening.

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As a collector of one specific baseball player, I like the different-colored parallels. As a set collector, I would HATE having to get an entire set's worth of multiple colors.

It's fun for one card, probably a chore for more.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I prefer to go just for a type card past the base set.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I don't think I have ever actually finished a parallel set. I have wanted too, just there is a limit to how much I will pay for a parallel card.
I think if the parallels are fairly easy to find and fairly cheap to buy I dig them. Once you get to 1 or 2 a box, I can't justify the price people want for them.
I do think they are neat.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
I have very little interest in parallel sets. If there was a significant difference and the price wasn't too bad I might chase one. If it's just a different color border or a foil stamp I have no interest.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
I'd rather not have them at all.

I don't mind them in sports cards, just not the same with a NS set, too much hassle.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post