Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Panini Golden Age is back
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panini Golden Age is back
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
It's summertime and he time is right for:
a. Dancin' in the street
b. Panini Golden Age, 2014

Picked up just 4 packs today, each pack has a mini-card, base cards include P. T. Barnum, William McKinley, sports and movie stars.
Pulled an auto from Marta Kristen, beautiful card and nice signature. Then in the next pack a relic card, with a piece of clothing worn by... Marta Kristen.
I think the Golden Age sets are really cool, well worth looking for. Have fun with these.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip -- and fantastic luck on those packs!

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The cards have been beautiful so far. I'm sure I'll pick up at least a couple of this year's "models".

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up a box of the 2013 cards and loved them. Can't wait to pick up some cards from this year's set.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
The box bottom has 3 cards, there's 9 altogether. Having fun with these, a card set with The Sphinx, Butch Cassidy, Jack Ruby, William Randolph Hearst,and Farrah Fawcett, love it.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
Cards or Stickers?

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
All cards, but there is an insert set of stamps with sticker backs. I have 2 so far, one has old baseball players,the other has images from the Titanic.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had no idea this set was coming out, haven't seen any press releases or anything.

I still need to pick up the Three Stooges cards from the last set.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I took a look at some of the completed listings, and this set, even more than the previous two, is a real treat for classic television autograph collectors.
I saw on-card sigs for:
Wally, Beaver, and Eddie Haskell from "Leave it to Beaver"

Bo, Luck, and Daisy Duke from "Dukes of Hazzard"

Eddie and Marilyn Munster

Loretta Swit from MASH

Marta Kristen and Angela Cartwright from "Lost in Space"

Steve Austin and Lindsay Wagner from "Bionic Man"

Angie Dickinson from "Police Woman"

Peter, Bobby, and Cindy Brady from "Brady Bunch"

There are some really sharp box toppers, too, and for fans of vintage pop/rock/country music, I saw relic cards from Buddy Holly and Patsy Cline, both of whom died young in tragic plane creashes. There are some great looking cards of Jimi Hendrix and Farrah Fawcett, too.

Panini also bought back some Donruss cards, and the one of those I saw in my quick search was a 1975 Donruss "Six Million Dollar Man" signed on-card by Lee Majors, not too shabby.

I'll pick up a box or two, for sure, but I'll definitely be augmenting that with some single card purchases.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was also going to mention that the Marsha Brady autograph was in 2012, the Greg and Jan were in 2013, and now the last of the three kids are in this one, so it's a full set of all six Brady kids on some really handsomely designed cards.

Also spread between the three sets is a really nice collection of 1970's Harlem Globetrotters players, arguably their most popular era.

I also saw another "Buy-Back", an original Dukes card signed by John Schneider.

I like it that there is a sort of continuity between the 3 sets so far. While these cards have prided themselves on being on-card autographs, the Dick VanDyke from this year seems to be a "sticker", but it's still a very high on-card rate, for sure.

There has also been an occasional redemption card, although Panini seems to be able to deliver on them. The Jerry Lewis that was a redemption last year did see the actual card get into collectors' hands. That was one I'd have been worried about, if I held the redemption for it. Jerry can be a little temperamental.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I discovered these last year and really liked them so I had
to pick up a couple boxes of the new ones. Once again they
contain very nice cards with a wide variety of subjects. I
am pretty happy with the hits I pulled. The first box had a
costume card of Lee Majors and an autograph of former Harlem
Globetrotter Marques Haynes. The 2nd box had a costume card
of Claudette Colbert and a Lee Majors autograph! I may end
up picking up some more of this, I would love a Dick VanDyke
autograph...

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I should mention that it is now an officially sad thing that we have to spell Dick VanDyke's name without the proper space between the "n" and the "D" in the last name, else it would be censored, since that term has been used as a slur.

Well, we can still get Dick though around here, at least. That word is also automatically censored on some boards. It can make discussing the previous Vice President a little tricky.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Pulled a Christopher Knight (Peter from Brady Bunch) auto yesterday from a loose pack.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Panini has taken a retail presence with this years release. I have
found loose packs and "blaster boxes" at Target stores. As has been
the case with their "Americana" sets, there is one guaranteed
memorabilia card per box. From what I can tell, they seem to be from
the "Legends of Music" series. I have pulled cards of Hank Williams,
Willie Nelson (3 different) and Joey Ramone. There are also cards of
Liberace and Elvis and probably others. Also, while not guaranteed,
there are autographs inserted as well. These don't follow the music
theme as the one I pulled is from a jockey named Jorge Velasquez.

Greg

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
I pulled a Museum Age Geese Ausbie Harlem Globetrotters memorabilia card from a single pack purchase.

I like the 2014 base card lineup.

(Still never found that Three Stooges Curly mini card from the last series.) Frown

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've got a hobby box coming (finally!) and will post results shortly...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is a beautiful set, once again. Here are hits, with the "Alfalfa" card being an SP photo variation:

It's another 150 card set, but you only get about 120 cards per box, so no complete set possible if you buy only one. My 120 or so base cards broke down into about 50 baseball, 20 other sports, and 50 nonsports as subjects, so extrapolating that to 150, it means there are about 60 non-sports cards, making this set approximately 40% non-sports for our purposes.

The whole base set is also issued as mini cards, one per pack, and there are a selection of insert sets including card sized sheets of 4 stamps. These sets are a pretty good size but you only get a couple of each per box, so building the sets from boxes would be tricky.

There is a nice box topper, like usual. It's been oversized cards and felt pennants and things like that in the past, but this year, it's a perforated 3 card panel, plus you get another of those on the bottom of each hobby box that can be punched out.

These are sharp looking cards. Even the sports cards tend to be "old-timey" athletes, so to me, they're more like historical type cards, as opposed to straight sports cards which of course, have modern athletes.

I hope to get some more of thess. I'll add some pictures of a selection of my favorite non-sport subjects that were in my box, along with an example of the regular inserts. The stamp cards are sharp and I got one of those I really like with some excellent subjects. The insert cards seem to break down in the same ratios in terms of sports and non-sports subjects.

Keep 'em coming, Panini, these are fine efforts.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
This set looks pretty interesting...

My supplier has some in stock... Might have to pick up a couple boxes.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some base card standouts:

I've ordered another box, so I show my 4 total stamp cards I'll have by then and the new hits once I get it in a couple of days.