Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Parallels, Minis, Limited Editions, and more
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parallels, Minis, Limited Editions, and more
 Login/Join

Picture of AWR
posted
Looking into collection all of the Bad News Bears Insert Cards from the Panini Golden Age 2013 Set and was amazed to see all of the different variations for just the 6 cards. There are 3 variations of the base cards (regular, white border, and black border (1/1)). Then there are mini cards with 6 variations, including another 1/1). Besides the official checklist on Panini's site, searching the auction site show special cards stamped with National Convention 2013 (3/5), and Limited Edition.

And I am sure there are even more out there that will show up.

How many people actually collect all of the different cards from any set? How do you get and what do you consider an official list.

Also do you consider special stamped cards (1/1) to be part of a set.

I'm a small time collector, who has never completed any sort of mini or master set (other than all of the Autos from the Star Trek 35th) but may just go after these as much as possible

Looks like I have a good project for 2014

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I really think multiple verisons in card sets have become more of a turn off than a turn on to most collectors.

That's especially true when the parallels, inserts or whatever they are being called become very limited and/or there is only a cheap, marginal difference between each level or version.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I hate parallel sets, with a few minor exceptions. If they were easy to complete it wouldn't be so bad, but now, 1 of 10??? You've got to be kidding.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like mini cards (and I'm collecting many from the Panini Golden Age of Baseball set). As far as parallels, I can care less about them. I just want one of each card, I don't need multiple versions. Sometimes I will pick up variant cards but it really depends on the image and the cost of the card.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
There are 6 version of each mini card from the 2013 Golden Age of Baseball Set (Same front with different backs, one of them 1/1).

Not sure if some are rarer then others.

Since I am only collecting the 6 Bad News Bears cards, should be able to get 5 of the 6.

I would think that for anybody trying to get all 6 for all cards in the set would be impossible (with the 1/1s)

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like mini cards but find them difficult to display in the binders. As far as parallels go - I could care less. JMO. Smile

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcole:
I like mini cards but find them difficult to display in the binders. As far as parallels go - I could care less. JMO. Smile

You need the 15 pocket pages made for the small cards. They look great in them.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I consider special stamped cards 1/1 to be "part of" a set if they are inserted in packs, but it might be better to say they are "associated with" the set. They're not really much different from exclusive promos for other series, IMO. Another thing I'd call "associated with" is the original artwork that's marketed by places like Topps Vault. So it's nice to know that they exist and their existence adds to the lore, but (to me) they aren't a component of a master set. At the extreme I could include binders because they're sold separately from the card cases/boxes/packs.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of stuff from this set available including quite a few mini cards if anyone is interested.

AWR -- email sent!

Greg

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by dcole:

You need the 15 pocket pages made for the small cards. They look great in them.

Ed

Thanks, Ed. I need to order some 4-pocket pages soon; I will see if I can find a few 15-pockets, as well. Thumb Up

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
Ed:

Do you know where to get the 15 card pages? Also, would these pages work with say Allen & Ginter minis, etc?

I've been interested in mini cards for a while but haven't purchased any yet. Good to know they can be stored though.

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anthonyd:
Ed:

Do you know where to get the 15 card pages? Also, would these pages work with say Allen & Ginter minis, etc?

I've been interested in mini cards for a while but haven't purchased any yet. Good to know they can be stored though.

I store my mini's (Allen & Ginter, Golden Age of Baseball, etc) in 15-card pages. They're the perfect size and made by Ultra Pro.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I remember when the Lady Death Series 3 (?) cards came out and thinking "Wow, now there are more chase cards than there are cards in the set!" Now, this seems to be the rule rather than the exception, with some releases have multiple variations on parallel cards, numerous sketch cards, and all the lower end hits.

Of course, that makes it easy for those of us who like the base sets, since people end up buying so many packs or boxes trying to find 'em all....

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anthonyd:
Ed:

Yeah, I know someone who keeps them in stock all the time. But alas, I cannot say who that might be.

You can email me at the address in my profile and I can share.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Annnnnnd Rittenhouse pushes me out of the new Marvel set with this little info:

This set will include:
90-card base set featuring the greatest heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe
90-card "Sapphire" parallel base set (1:3 packs)
90-card "Emerald" parallel base set, individually numbered to 100 (1 per box)
90-card "Diamond" parallel base set, individually numbered to 10 (1 per case)
25 cards (part one) of our 75-card, year-long MARVEL 75TH ANNIVERSARY celebration! These initial 25 cards, each numbered to 75, will be inserted at the rate of 2 per case (1:144 packs)!
9-card "Marvel's Greatest Battles" THOR expansion bonus set (1:24 packs);
-Red parallel bonus expansion set
( 1:144 packs);
-Gold parallel bonus expansion set, individually numbered to 75
(approx. 1 per case)
9-card "Marvel's Greatest Battles" CAPTAIN AMERICA expansion bonus set (1:24 packs);
-Red parallel bonus expansion set
1:144 packs);
-Gold parallel bonus expansion set, individually numbered to 75
(approx. 1 per case)

9-card, 2011 Marvel Universe "Artist Draft" bonus expansion set (1:12 packs)
9-card "Marvel Heroes and Villains" expansion bonus set (1:48 packs)

6-card "Shadowbox" bonus set, featuring Wolverine, Black Cat, Spider-Man, Thing, Daredevil and Storm
(1:48 packs)

5-card "Avengers Origins" bonus set (1:48 packs);

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
You could collect a very nice set by ignoring all the parallel and expansion cards but if you are an all or nothing sort of collector then this set is not for you, you would drive yourself mad.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Every now and then I read about exclusive parallels of gold cards, diamond cards, ruby cards, refractors, etc. and I have to wonder how many people are really working on them?

Is their a large group of card collectors out there who have the resources and desire to put such sets together?

Someone must think so because the parallels keep coming, but I don't know anybody who aims higher than the first level anymore, if that.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's for this exact reason that I no longer am going to be purchasing any of the new sets that come out.

It makes a collector feel as if there is no possible way of completing a set.

I was ok with many of the earlier parallel sets such as the 1994 & 1995 Marvel Masterpieces among others because they were at the very least feasible to acquire and they only added to the fun of collecting.

Posts: 7 | Location: California | Registered: September 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
When collecting new Star Wars sets I only go for the parallel sets and
I do not bother with the base set - I do not buy boxes just job lots
Of parallels at around $.50 each including shipping and then trade with my
Spares

Mark

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Check out the Garbage Pail Kids 2014 Series 1 cards. There are at least 9 levels of parallel cards. I collect base sets and type cards, but here are the parallel and subsets:

- Blank Back Parallels
- Cloth Parallels
- Sepia Parallels
- Black Parallels
- Silver Parallels
- Gold Parallels
- Red Parallels
- Full-Bleed Canvas Parallels
- Name your own GPK Parallels

-Base set (55 diff)
-C cards (These are probably only in the base cards)
-Retail Bonus Stickers
-Hobby Bonus Stickers (8 diff)
-Value Pack Bonus Stickers
-Bonus pack Posters
-Olympics Cards (22 diff)
-Olympics C Cards
-Olym-Picks Motion Cards (1 of 10)
-10 Olym-Pick Medals (Bronze/Silver/Gold)
-Autographs
-Die-Cut Sketch Cards
-Regular Sketch Cards
-Art Variations
-Printing Plates

To get these cards one would have to buy hobby boxes, retail boxes, retail blaster boxes, and jumbo packs.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post