Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Are you a completist?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you a completist?
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
Picture of PEZman
posted
Base sets vs Parallel sets, Bordered vs Full Bleed? Do you collect both? Sometimes? Never? Let me know what you guys think.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Posts: 7 | Location: Leominster, MA | Registered: April 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
To answer the question . . . NO

Base sets are easy. The insert cards can generally be bought from a dealer altogether. Parallel sets depend on the product, but most are also affordable.

There are exceptions, and some newer products are so large its almost impossible to complete them just with the parallels and inserts. And then there are the premium cards. Eek

Every set is going to have that one or two very expensive autograph, but recent sets are running between 3 and 7 very expensive autograph cards. This is not counting any incentive cards, which may surpass everything else. And if there are sketches, well trying to get one of every artist is another problem.

No, I'm not a completist. I buy what I like up to a point, but I have to be able to afford it and think its worth it. There is a line where I begin to feel a bit foolish and when I see it I stop. Wink

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
To answer your question - always.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
I am a completist but not when it's about parallel or variant cards (auto signature and costumes fabric swatch).

I like having a master set but with the recent years it is almost impossible to get master sets anymore (like Star Wars and Marvel Movies from UD) for example.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Completist? Are you kidding? I very nearly invented the word! How many other card collectors do you know that currently collect four variation sets of something so simple as Beverley Hills 90210? I collect accidental blank backed cards, major misprint cards, error cards, promos with perforated as well as same promo with a cut edge. Frankly, I think either I need a larger home or I'm in desperate need of counseling. One of the two.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
My completist days are long gone. I just can't afford to be a completist with a morgage, two kids one 13 the other about to be 3, (1 in Private school) the other will be in private school in 3 years (The local schools all have C+ or below averages) My older son will want a car in 3 years. Taxes, insurance, food (did I mention my son is 13-how does he eat so much food?!).
The last Master set I finished was Scooby Doo 2.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly a completist, but I stick to the old classic cards. These newer card sets hold no water for me with their recycled artwork and such. But for my favorite sets like most of my Spider-man cards I try to get everything. Parallels, variants, promos, ultra-prints you name it. Always good to have more to help pad out the binders! Thumb Up

Posts: 10 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: March 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
No, I am not. I have one master set, and that's Veronica Mars season one.

Right now all I collect is Fringe and Game of Thrones, and with GoT I have no interest in the full bleed autographs -- if I had to complete the set, I would go crazy. I buy what I want/can afford, and while I don't have the most valuable collection in the world, I don't have buyer's remorse because I bought a bunch of cards I didn't really want to complete a set.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
In order to be a completist you have to be able to afford to be a completist and there are not many of those around, if you are one you are indeed very lucky and fortunate.

For most people their set becomes complete when the next stage of it is just too expensive to even think about.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a completist to a point. The base, insert, costume and autographs for a regular set is doable. And the promos too, but I won't be searching for any limited cards less than 10. Too me thats crazy, I'd rather spend that money on another set I'm working on.

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
The answer is sadly - no. but when I first started collecting I would have said yes. Inkwork sets were set up so that you could complete your set without too much difficulty. The advent of sketches has changed all that, and changed peoples mind set. This change of mind set in my opinion will eventually destroy the hobby, with shipping costs increasing too there can be no winners.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like complete base sets and obsess about completing checklists. Cool

That said, I used to be a completist like some people above, when there was at least 200 of every card. I'd buy enough boxes to fill in most chase sets (perhaps with a bit of trading) and fill in the gaps online or by trades. Then I started putting a $ limit on how much I'd pay for any card of the super-scarce variety.

Kennywood pointed out the comeback of parallel sets. This keeps me from buying as many boxes as I used to, because unless you do cases of everything, they waste my space and time. These and the large stream of Extremely Limited etc. cards have pushed a lot of the hobby to the dealers who open multiple cases and put together sets and minimasters and masters. I'm grateful to the work they put into it and how they populate the Box Breakdowns threads!

All of the recent sets that have #-to-10 special cards, surprises, and very-limited redemptions just frustrate me.

(Okay, you can't teach old dogs to give up old pack-opening habits -- I pulled a Shatner/Collins dual autograph from a pack yesterday. But I don't know what I'll do with the parallels.)

I used to buy 2-3 boxes of most Topps "popular culture" releases, but now I wait for minimasters from eBay even for new GPK and Wacky. Then I move on to the next set on the horizon. Some sets I keep following, and if I start approaching completeness I might get more serious again.

And as to btlfannz' distress about needing a larger home to continue as a completist, I'd say that large animals take up space that could be devoted to cards.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:

And as to btlfannz' distress about needing a larger home to continue as a completist, I'd say that large animals take up space that could be devoted to cards.

Big dog? What big dog??

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is there any truth to the rumor that Dillon and Wolfie were separated at birth?

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes and No, yes I'd like to complete a few more sets like my Stargate Atlantis, SG heroes & universe stuff (Slowly getting there), no because some sets are too expensive lol
Try doing the Gold Parallel set from SW30th....
Am definately trying for a master set on Grimm Smile ..... There goes the Bank account Frown

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
Not a Completist...

I used to be one, but real life kept getting in the way and I just started collecting cards of favorite characters.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
I'd like to be a completest, but I simply can't afford to have it all... Frown

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Use to be before parallels, pieceworks, and sketches. But basically, in my mind, was until Upper Deck screwed everything up.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I used to purchase a case or two of subjects I was collecting, getting close a Master Set (not counting Dealer incentives) but these days it's impossible to get anywhere near a master set with two cases. As a result if it's something I really want I pre-order a Master Set. I wish they would stop adding Parallel sets altogether as I feel it simply lacks any thought from Manufacturers and sometimes you can barely tell them apart from common cards.

I used to enjoy breaking open a case or two but it's just not worth it. You could make a little return selling the extras but even that was becoming problematic as prices of the lesser cards just dropped through the floor and it was not worth the effort.

I still have masses of common/rare autographs and costumes which I will not sell for £2 - £3, I'd rather throw them in the bin(trash). I still do the occasional show as a seller but really just a weekend away with friends. As for base sets, selling those for £1 is an absolute joke when you consider what it takes to make a set from a box then sorting, wrapping it up then finally taking it to shows.

Even purchasing a Master Set directly is getting expensive and over the recent few years I've considered easing off or stopping altogether. After all, it is a HOBBY. Thumb Up

Rant over.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post