Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    If a seller is selling loose packs...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If a seller is selling loose packs...
 Login/Join

posted
If big card selling sites are selling lots of 24 packs for example, rather than a box, can you pretty much guarantee you are going to miss out on the box hits?

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Definitely.

Most will say so, but others... Not so much.

I sell them as $1 packs at shows. If you open a lot, you don't really need the extras once you hit the sketch/autograph/costume.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheers for that

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes you have to read the descriptions of these very carefully. Ive seen some that make it look like you are getting a sealed box of 24 packs.

Some sell the packs that are not cherry picked so you get a chance of an auto/costume.
Some open the packs until they have just the normal number of autos/costumes then sell the packs with chase and base cards in. Some sell only packs that they know only contain base cards.
As the packs come from a number of different boxes you might not even get a full base set.

Read the description very carefully and if in doubt buy from someone else.

The same applies to sealed boxes as well.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neilsy:

The same applies to sealed boxes as well.

Yes be careful of this also. Just because it is a sealed box does not mean you have a chance at the big one per case hit.

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Quite true, I will usually look at the seller's other items. If they are selling singles from a set, I will likely look fro a box somewhere else.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Sadly this is becoming quite common Frown

I've seen online sales that look like a bargain but the box has been cherry picked so it's half the price for a 'box' but you're basically buying a base set perhaps the odd low end chase and a bunch of spares.

Usually listed as 20/24 packs or 32 of 36 pack box minus major hits. I've seen people try to sell a 'case' but stating alls your getting is ALL the base cards with NO chase at all - Say 12 boxes worth of a base cards Twak

With some sets like Big Bang Theory where there's 1 or 2 major hits per case - The reason some boxes are becoming cheaper is that the dealer will say 'sealed box straight from case' and chance are they already pulled the 2 huge hits so you will (or should) get the stated 'hits' but you probably won't make your money back on the box.

I think it's sad. Having said that I've bought single packs from many reputable dealers/outlets who pride themselves on NOT cherry picking Clap and I've pulled some MAJOR hits this way. In fact my best hits have been from single packs over all the money I ever spent on a whole box.

As a personal rule I never buy a 'broken'/opened box and I read carefully about 'bulk' sales of single packs.

Great question. Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
With the formulas that card manufacturers are now using to insert the premium cards it has become very easy for case breakers to figure out when they probably pulled all the big hits. This is a bit different than cherry picking a box, which no one should ever do. There is a real temptation here when the remaining boxes are still sealed, but the case breaker knows that he/she already has the 1 or 2 ultra limited cards.

I wish that the manufacturers would keep everybody honest by mixing it up and not have such consistent, predictable breaks.

As for the question, unfortunately loose packs in lots are not a good deal if you're expecting to get hits. I don't even buy from open boxes any more.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I wish that the manufacturers would keep everybody honest by mixing it up and not have such consistent, predictable breaks.

The problem with this is how truly random do you want to get.

If each box is truly random, there is no guarantee of any inserts at all in the box.

If the case is truly random, it could be loaded with "rares" or it could have all commons.

Most buyers, both collector and dealer, would be unhappy with either situation.

When you start making guarantees and tiered rarity, you have to make things slightly cyclical. Any other option would be contrary to what everyone has come to expect when they plunk down so much money for a box or case.

Ed

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
They could certainly "shuffle the deck" a little better when it comes to placement of the hits. I have opened WAY too many products where the box hit was in the same place in each and every box.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igman7:
They could certainly "shuffle the deck" a little better when it comes to placement of the hits. I have opened WAY too many products where the box hit was in the same place in each and every box.

I agree with you Igman7. My last large purchase was that way. That was a bit anticlimatic for opening. You always knew when you hit pack X then 2 packs later was your next big hit.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
Some good advice here.

I would also add that it's finding a dealer you can trust and this can also be luck of the draw. It's a dealer who won't cherry pick and will give his customers a chance of the big pull.

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheers for the info guys

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:

The problem with this is how truly random do you want to get.

If each box is truly random, there is no guarantee of any inserts at all in the box.

If the case is truly random, it could be loaded with "rares" or it could have all commons.

Most buyers, both collector and dealer, would be unhappy with either situation.

When you start making guarantees and tiered rarity, you have to make things slightly cyclical. Any other option would be contrary to what everyone has come to expect when they plunk down so much money for a box or case.

Ed

All true Ed, and I would never suggest that a random mix should mean that one case gets loaded while another might have nothing but common hits. What I meant was that manufacturers should throw in an extra premium hit(s) or another type of hit above what is guaranteed. It need not be in every case. It could be in every second or third case and I don't want some manufactured patch either. Another star autograph or another sketch in a box that wouldn't replace any of the guaranteed hits, just add to them.

That would serve to keep case breakers honest because they wouldn't know if they have a shot at another good hit or not until all the boxes were opened. And it would be a pleasant surprise for box buyers if you found something above what was expected too.

I know that at today's box/case prices I would be more inclined to buy product that offered the chance of getting more than what the box promises. Smile

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
All true Ed, and I would never suggest that a random mix should mean that one case gets loaded while another might have nothing but common hits. What I meant was that manufacturers should throw in an extra premium hit(s) or another type of hit above what is guaranteed. It need not be in every case. It could be in every second or third case and I don't want some manufactured patch either. Another star autograph or another sketch in a box that wouldn't replace any of the guaranteed hits, just add to them.

That would serve to keep case breakers honest because they wouldn't know if they have a shot at another good hit or not until all the boxes were opened. And it would be a pleasant surprise for box buyers if you found something above what was expected too.

I know that at today's box/case prices I would be more inclined to buy product that offered the chance of getting more than what the box promises. Smile

I've often thought about this too. If you made the autos 1:23 packs instead of 1:24, it would help both the placement problem and allow an additional reason to keep opening packs.

I wouldn't think it would break the bank either for the card companies.

Ed

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Some things can't be totally stripped. I learned that first-hand last night. I bought some super-cheap clearance packs online. They were for sets I wanted to build. I expected nothing but base and anything else would be extra.

Extra is exactly what I got in a pack of 2009 Topps WWE - a 1/1 Platinum parallel. Odds were 1:11,000-ish.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
Andy28 be careful reading the description. I saw a lot of sellers very clear that they only take out the sketch/costume/auto and when you buy the packs you get the other chase cards. Also I found sellers that take out also the chase cards or a group and never tell you.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah i decided against buying things like this for now anyway.