Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    A sketch card depicted in a sketch card
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A sketch card depicted in a sketch card
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted
I recently lucked out and found one of the rare sketch cards in a pack of Disney Treasures.
I wanted to see more from the artist of mine, Anna Lee, who is (or was in 2004 at least) the Senior Toy Designer for Disney. I found another of hers and its seems like they are all closeups of the faces of characters she drew in colored pencil and then finished with paint of some kind. Very cool!

Anyway, while doing that, I found a blog spot from an artist, Lisa Temming, who drew 12 cards for Series II and she displayed 9 of them, with one of them, the required Donald Duck each artist was required to draw for that series, being very unusual. In it, Donald is holding a sketch card!

Here it is:

She drew 12, but only showed 9 of them on her blog, all of them beauties.

In the picture, they haven't yet been numbered by Upper Deck, so the pack pulled cards should be now be numbered on the front. I wonder if one of the three she didn't show in her picture has an illustration similar to the drawing in the sketch card Donald is holding. What a pair of cards that would be to own!

Anyway, does anyone have a similar sketch card from this or any other series, one in which the character on the card is holding a sketch card? If so, please post here. What a great idea that was.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of the previews for Ken Galans Contemporary Pinups Puzzle Jam set is a sketch of the two artists hands doing a sketch. Can't post it here because the sketch within a sketch is of two ladies wearing very little Big Grin but it's on the Scoundrel forum in the card companies section.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
Those sketches are really beautiful. I'd love to know if there are any Disney Treasures sketches that haven't been pulled yet.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ryan Cracknell's "Tradercracks" website used to have a blog entry that showed A LOT of the sketch cards, but I can't seem to find it now. I wonder if it still exists.

Is anyone familiar with the page I'm speaking of, or how to find it? I used google and bing and the search engine on his site, but no dice.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Ryan's a member here. Maybe he can post the images here if he still has them.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
When Upper deck posted every Disney treasures sketch on their site, I saved every image. I have them available. If you can recommend the best way to shrink the file so I can email them, I would send them out.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
When Upper deck posted every Disney treasures sketch on their site, I saved every image. I have them available. If you can recommend the best way to shrink the file so I can email them, I would send them out.

Assuming you've got them in jpg format, saving them in gif format will reduce the size. Open your jpg file in Paint (which I think comes with Windows) and use the 'Save As' option to save as a gif format file.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's great, Beamer! If you could Email them to me, I'd be glad to upload them to photobucket and post the links in a new thread so every one could see them. I think it'd be a real service to have a page that shows all of those in one place.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
I saved all of them too. Big Grin Let me know if you need any help. I could send a series to help reduce your work load. LMK

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I never knew Upper Deck posted all of the sketches when these first came out, I'd also like to see all of them.

OP, I'm not sure if you mentioned in your post but which card did you get? How many boxes/packs did you open to find it?

Posts: 9 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. Thanks for making such thread. I never gave thought about these kind of sketches, but now I think they are pretty cool, dual sketch card! When I was small I was fascinated by a picture of an artist looking at a mirror while painting himself looking at the mirror while painting himself, and goes on until the self portrait was too small to see.

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Traditionally, comic book covers that do that with images within the image have been very popular with collectors, especially ones from the Golden Age. They are called "infinity covers".

Here's my recent found Disney III sketch, since it's not in this thread.

This came out of four boxes this time, but I've probably opened 100 or more from this series over the years, and it's the first one I've ever found in one of the regular three series. The upside is, I've never paid more than $25 for a box (usually around $20), and you can get a lot of that back by selling of the extra film frame cards and especially the Patch cards, so you can get a lot of chances at finding one for not too much money if doing it that way.

With only 144 Series III sketch cards in total, and the traditional huge Upper Deck print runs of 10 years ago, it's a good bet the odds on these are probably about 1 in every 2-3 hundred boxes, or so. It's no surprise the odds for sketch cards aren't list on the wrapper. If it is one in every 200 boxes (which would mean the print run was around 28,000 boxes, definitely possible), that would mean the sketches are found just one per every 4,800 packs!

posted Hide Post
I found one late last year and ended up selling it on ebay . It was from series 3 and a pencil sketch of Lilo & Stitch . I'd like to buy one for my collection sometime , but it would really depend on which one it is .

Posts: 35 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: April 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had a really nice Tinkerbell from Disney Holiday Treasures, and while I pretty much had to sell it (since I was only co-owner of it and couldn't afford to buy out my partner on it), I do wish I still had it. I'm not a Tinkerbell fan per se, but it was very well drawn and in color, just a beautiful card.
This one I really like, but it's also not necessarily one of my favorite characters, so I would trade this one for a different Disney sketch with a character (or art) that I like at least aa much as this one or else for a Skybox Art D'Bart sketch, if anyone out there would be interested in that. I welcome any trade offers.

posted Hide Post
Since this site doesn't allow sales or trades to go down , would you mind if I email you so we can talk more about it and maybe see what other Disney sketches you may have ?

Michael,

Posts: 35 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: April 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This site does allow for trades, but sales are through the Retailer Forums (which understandably include a fee for use).

I don't have any other Disney sketches besides this one, but my email is in my profile if you want write me.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I pulled a sketch card a while back out of a single pack purchase. Disney Treasures 3 sc31

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: December 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post

Apparently, she drew 13. I have attached the other 4 that Upper deck posted before they took the pics down. The Ariel/Eric is really great.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post