Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Unofficial autographed cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unofficial autographed cards
 Login/Join

Picture of bone
posted
Do you have any unofficial autographed cards you have in your collection? eg. obtained through the mail, in person, or eBay.

Here are some of mine:

1. Al Pacino
2. Pierce Brosnan
3. Christian Bale
4. Robin Williams
5. Jamie Foxx
6. Kevin Costner

1. Morgan Freeman
2. Joe Pesci
3. Bill Murray
4. Sigourney Weaver

1. Jack Nicholson
2. Danny Devito
3. Jim Carrey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bone,

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I used to get 8x10's signed st shows and such but now I just get cards singed so they can fill holes in sets I cant afford and for older sets that had no auto's.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
This is a good thread!

I have picked up some over the years, never quite sure if the autographs are real or not if they were purchased elsewhere. I do have some in-person signed cards as well.

I'll have to see if I can locate most of them and post some scans...

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I used to collect & matte 3x5 cards. Now, all I do is make my own cards and send them out to be signed. Then matte them.

Here are a couple...

Here is one my mattes. With both official and unofficial cards...

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miket999:
I have picked up some over the years, never quite sure if the autographs are real or not if they were purchased elsewhere. I do have some in-person signed cards as well.
Mike.

That unfortunately is the big problem with these cards, especially autograph cards bought off of eBay. They have cracked down on it a little more now I think, but in years past there were plenty of signed cards available at $7 bucks a pop for some of the biggest names.

I mean come on, who could possibly believe they were real? Yet someone was buying them. Frown

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
A few years back I got Robin Williams on a Mork and Mindy card through the mail. The cool thing was that it arrived the day after he won his Oscar for Good Will Hunting.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
I have a Promo P-7 from The Philly Non-Sports Show!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found this in a lot of misc cards I received in the late 90's. Have no idea whose signature it is! I assume it may be the artist responsible for the front of the card.

Any Ideas?

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts:
I used to collect & matte 3x5 cards. Now, all I do is make my own cards and send them out to be signed. Then matte them.

Cards look great. Would be nice if you could produce them so that others could send them off to get signed. Probably would be a licensing nightmare.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
love what you did with Heroes, you got many key characters that we wished signed on official, a great completion, congrats
can you post a big image so we can see better?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DavidDeb,

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EriktheArchitect:
I found this in a lot of misc cards I received in the late 90's. Have no idea whose signature it is! I assume it may be the artist responsible for the front of the card.

Any Ideas?

That's 2 signatures there.

I'd say one is Ben Herrera.
This link has a list of writers and artists who worked on the book http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/freexuv.htm

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidDeb:
love what you did with Heroes, you got many key characters that we wished signed on official, a great completion, congrats
can you post a big image so we can see better?

Not sure I have a bigger Heroes pic. This is a list of the customs I made:
-Thomas Dekker
-Robert Forester
-Eric Roberts
-Malcolm McDowell
-Zelijko Ivanek
-Darryl Crittenden
-Christopher Eccleston
-Todd Stashwick
-Robert Knepper
-Jack Wallace
-Harry Perry
-Ray Park
-Zachary Quinto
-Hayden Panettiere
-Richard Roundtree
-Tawny Cypress
-Tessa Thompson
-Kate Vernon
-Brea Grant
-Elisabeth Rohm
-Deanna Bray
-Saemi Nakamura
-Taylor Cole
-Sally Champlin
-Jayma Mays
-Kristen Bell
-Ntare Mwine
-Santiago Cabrera
-Matt Lanter
-George Takei
-Eriko Tamura
-Nichelle Nichols
-Swoosie Kurtz
-Missy Peregrym
-Stana Katic
-Rena Sofer
-Erik Avari
-Aasaf Cohen

Here is the largest matte I ever did. Harry Potter. Most are official Artbox cards. But, their are a bunch that I made and had signed. Its 3ft x 5ft. Right below the crest obscured in the flash is a signed Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort).

Here is a Seaquest one I just redid.

Here is a link to most of my mattes...
http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/...c.php?f=114&t=133930

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ts,

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of ACDC cards I had autographed. As I had access to ACDC for a while, I tracked down some cards and got them to sign. Shame I didnt think of it sooner as I could have got the whole set signed. I do also have my tickets, backstage passes, a t-shirt and a photo signed.

I am planning on getting framed one day.

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just redid my Smallville matte. Still waiting for a couple of sigs...

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Quite the autograph hound you are ts! Congrats on a nice collection

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about a thread in which we were talking about cards we've been able to get autographed outside of the certified autograph cards but couldn't find the thread - did find this one while looking for something else.

While we might be wary of cards sellers offer as celebrity autographed, we like to hang onto the cards we get autographed ourselves. About 20 years ago (or maybe in the late 90's), artist Ralph NcQuarrie signed at a local collectibles show. I didn't have any prints for him to sign but I did Have a couple of oversized Star Wars Mastervisions (Topps, 1995) P2 promos so I brought those to the show and he signed them for free.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Does anyone want me to sign my Philly show card for them ? Smile I am # 30.

http://phillynon-sportscardshow.com/philly-promos/

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Does anyone want me to sign my Philly show card for them ? Smile I am # 30.

http://phillynon-sportscardshow.com/philly-promos/

I've heard it's worth more unsigned. Big Grin Elephant Wavey

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Facebook group "Non-Sports Autographed Trading Cards" is full of this sort of thing.

Posts: 2197 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This is a really old thread resurrected. I don't like the title of "unofficial" autographed cards. It should be more like "TTM or In-Person" uncertified autographed cards.

I think these types of autograph card collections are terrific for the collector. They are truly rare, one-of-a-kind cards and are irreplaceable to the person acquiring them.

Having said that, a few years back I sold off a large portion of my 1980s and 1990s signed sports cards. I had obtained them from other collections, not gotten by me personally, and most were average baseball, football and basketball players and some better stars who were extras. All were authentic, but uncertified.

I may have well given them away for free for what I got. There was no demand for retired players of minor notoriety and even less demand for stars who had existing certified autograph cards. So it was a case where I had an impressive collection of autographs for sale that anyone would like to have, but no one was willing to pay for them. You can see similar signed cards on eBay for a couple of bucks each and its a shame because many were hard to come by.

And whether its sports or non-sport, that's the problem with "unofficial" or uncertified signature cards. Keep them for yourself, but don't think the amount of work will make you any money someday.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post