Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Hef just failed Ebay authentication
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hef just failed Ebay authentication
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Interestingly some higher priced ones with Star Pics sticker have somehow managed to bypass the authenticity process.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Any more details on this?

Rumor is going around that some of the cards that 'failed authentication' actually ended up happening when the auction ended too low the seller sent a different card to the authentication company basically forcing the fail.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Any more details on this?

Rumor is going around that some of the cards that 'failed authentication' actually ended up happening when the auction ended too low the seller sent a different card to the authentication company basically forcing the fail.

Anything is possible I guess but the authenticate process can see the auction. If it was a different item I would think the seller would risk being banned. Anyway, this was a best offer and the price was fair. I think I am more interested in how other sellers of the same item for more money don't have to push through the ebay guarantee program. As usual the ones I see slabbed aren't authenticated. The Hef Star Pics cards that do pass are not the ones with the gold sticker on them.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ah HA!!! I have figured it out.

You don't list your high price autograph card in the trading card category. The two I see bypassing authentication are listed in Movies.

Elementary my dear Watson!

posted Hide Post
I just did a quick google search. . .

There are 2 Hef examples that pop up in my search.

The one above with the 'RMR' sticker. And ones like this with another sticker:

The autographs do look a bit different -- especially the 'H' in Hugh.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a 3rd example was posted on blowout.

I've never seen a Hef signature with that type of pen that on a Star Pics auto -- also the sticker is sideways.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
The Star Pics stickers have several different initials in them, which confuses things even more. Not really sure what it means unless each person who placed stickers had their own design.

The one pictured above has not been authenticated. That one on blowout certainly looks different. Looks like a fading pen maybe he changed up?

posted Hide Post
I thought the JSA cert was authenticating the autograph -- no?

If not then what is the JSA cert for?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought the JSA cert was authenticating the autograph -- no?

If not then what is the JSA cert for?

That's a good question. The standard over the past several years is to clearly claim autograph authentic if it has been so authenticated.

Seems that the Beckett/JSA period was riddled with piss poor documentation. I have found many examples on line where the Beckett number is good but the JSA cert shows not found. On this particular card the JSA number pops up but the notes explicitly Beckett/JSA encapsulation. Not to mention the set is labeled incorrectly. No Playboy on that set up.

Does that mean it was authenticated? I don't know. Does it mean it was just encapsulated? I don't know.

After a certain point in IT history I find it amazing that these authentication companies still don't list a photo of the item. ACOA is the only exception I know of.

posted Hide Post
I don't know much at all about grading.

I did buy a card that that was in a Beckett slab with a JSA cert, but the JSA number showed 'not found' on their website.

I contacted JSA about it and they said something about changing databases and not everything getting moved to the new system and without really any hassle at all they added the cert for my card on to their website.

I've been trying to find the emails with JSA, but I haven't had any luck -- maybe I chatted them or something, I dunno.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
After a certain point in IT history I find it amazing that these authentication companies still don't list a photo of the item. ACOA is the only exception I know of.

It's not amazing, it's self protection. To fully document an authenticated item is to be held fully responsible for that authentication. You might think that is the point of bringing in a third-party expert, but it isn't. The point is to make the item more sellable to someone else who needs further assurance that what he/she sees is genuine. You are paying a fee, so that you can add on a premium to the next buyer. And you can't make a fake signature genuine just because it gets slabbed, but it will stop most people from questioning it. Wink

I'm very skeptical of after-the-fact third party autograph authentication, always have been. These 90's Star Pic autographed cards are very dangerous to buy now. Unless you have a solid connection with whoever has owned them before, I wouldn't think they are worth the risk of possibly getting a forgery.

As for the documentation of grading services, even if you can prove a mistake, which is not easy to do enough to even determine its fake, what will happen? It's a mistake. Maybe you'll get your fee back. Maybe the item can be returned if it's not too long and the seller doesn't fight it. To claim damages is to have to prove intent to deceive. Even the FBI can't seem to prove intent to deceive very often when investigating hobby practices, no one else will either. If you call someone out without proof, you will get sued yourself.

Autograph collecting is a hobby. It's meant to be enjoyed. Buy only certified cards without known issues. Educate yourself and don't put your faith in others. Mainly don't spend more than you can afford to lose if you do go into questionable territory. That's my best advice about anything you see that wasn't signed in front of you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't like that reply at all. "Changing databases and not everything getting moved" sounds too much like "not my department" or some other stock answer. I worked for a company that revamped its website and migrated a vast amount of data three times in about 15-16 years. Everything they needed migrated made it to the new version of the website. It's not like the old days when you could say there are still a few fileboxes in the back room we have to put in the new file cabinets.

quote:
I contacted JSA about it and they said something about changing databases and not everything getting moved to the new system and without really any hassle at all they added the cert for my card on to their website.

I've been trying to find the emails with JSA, but I haven't had any luck -- maybe I chatted them or something, I dunno.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post