Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Superman Returns Auto in Black ink???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Superman Returns Auto in Black ink???
 Login/Join

Picture of Ra$
posted
Hi there,

I bought a full set of superman return autos does anyone has these black ink or seen them? the others i have seen they are signed in blue.

Full set of 6 autos

http://i.ebayimg.com/20/!Bz7Op...ezBMYGnw!mo!~~_3.JPG

There are is a up close of Routh and Spacey

http://www.razs-autographs.com.../cards/superm_02.jpg

http://www.razs-autographs.com.../cards/superm_01.jpg

I would be really appreciate it if you could let me

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ra$,

Posts: 97 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I just checked my Routh and Bosworth autos. Both autos were pack pulled by my son from sealed boxes years ago. The Bosworth we have is Black ink. The Routh is blue ink. Hope this helps.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
I hate to say this but I think your Routh is bad. Now I am not normally one to make decelerations like that but I will show you exactly how I have come to this conclusion, and I want you to understand that this is my opinion.

Lets start at the beginning, I have owned two of the Routh cards and seen a number of others, none of them had been signed in black, and all of the signatures were clear and used a pen that was compatible with the Holo Stickers that Topps uses. This card you have is in black, thats flag number one. Second flag? The pen used to sign it is not compatible with the stickers, you can see how the signature has dried with bubbles and pockets in the ink, this is because the ink runs and clumps on the surface it is unable to stick to.

This is not unheard of many authentic autographs have this issue, look at some of the recent Dexter cards for example. However this is the ONLY Topps Routh card I have seen like this which makes it a little questionable. Not very conclusive however, so let take a closer look at the card itself.

You can see in the photo below I have take your signature and enlarged it and altered the colour mix so that we can see what your card is hiding.

The first thing I want you to notice: Look around the edge of the sticker, it may be hard to make out but there are a LOT of fibres and hairs sticking out from under the label... And they really shouldn't be. Not conclusive but another bad indication. Next I want you to look at the signature specifically the d in Brandon. You see how it is crossing OVER the larger loop at the end of his first name? That means the d was written AFTER the large loop.

Again thats not 100% conclusive, maybe the guy writes his name like that! So let check. This next image is from a PSA 9 Mint card in blue with the right pen. I did the same things to it:

As you can see it not the same at all. The signature is clear with no bubbles, and no fibres under the label to speak of. Now onto the loop, and as you can see it's not at all the same. It looks a lot more like the loop at the end is written AFTER the d in Brandon. In case my description is not clear, I will highlight the area I am talking about in one more photo:

To me the balance of probability dictates that this card is at least suspect and probably a fake. Honestly I would not buy it for the reasons above. It has strange fibres under the label, the ink is not only the wrong colour it is also clearly the wrong type of pen, and to me most damningly the signature is very suspect. The reason for writing the name in the wrong order is very very common, the forger will use a real signature as reference, copying first the large and noticeable sections of a name, this also helps to keep the signature spaced out correctly, they then go in and fill in the other letters.

Edit: I realized you cant see the fibres in the images above so I have added another which highlights them much more clearly:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sci-FiPlanet,

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great analysis Sci-FiPlanet. . . any thoughts on the Spacey?

barobehere do you have a scan of your black ink Bosworth?

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have just the Marsden, Bosworth and Posey, all signed in blue. The Bosworth and Marsden were pack pulled. Routh and Spacey are out of my league. Wink

In comparing the 3 I have to the scans shown I can't say that any of them match up very well, although there is a general similarity.

The other thing I noticed in the scans was how well the upper and lower "Topps Certified" and "Autograph Issue" seem to show up. The Topps sticker is designed to reflect light and you have to hold the cards at the right angle to even see the lettering. When viewed head-on you just see the signatures and barely nothing of the iridescent background. Just thought it curious that the background stands out so much in the photos.

Not said here is how much this "set" was purchased for and just how the seller was found. When looking for such high end cards as the Routh and Spacey it is absolutely vital that you reseach the seller before buying and know that he is reliable and will stand by the sale. If there really is an authentication issue a reputable seller may well offer a refund.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ra$
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your opinion Jason, very appreciate it

Reven i cant say how much for on here but all i can say is that i paid less routh and spacey both combin together, i never buy any high vaule card from anybody i dont know but i took the chance on the seller he had a good feedback and is a top rated seller plus on top of that i didnt know there are fake sticker going around or ever hear of any of the superman set auto card being forged, i made a mistake on on the buy i regard it

Yeah i try to get my money back but the 45days is past cant get it from either ebay or paypal, and when i asked the seller for a refund and i proved to him these were fake, do you know what hes respond was to me READY.......

"Hi, sorry to say this but if it is fake then TOPPS is the one who faked it, not me. I would suggest you contact the TOPPS trading card company and file a complaint with them"

how stupid the seller sounds lol this proved he sold these fake cards to me that a FACT!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ra$,

Posts: 97 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
The seller in question has a couple other high-end autos listed. I wonder if any of those are fake?

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here (besides Raz) had any experience with this seller?

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Some of you may have already read about this on Jon's website, but I feel it is important to post this here, too.

I emailed Topps about these cards, and suggested it would be in their best interest to look into this issue (since counterfeit cards hurt all of us), and here is the response I received (2 weeks later):
"I would send them in to BGS or PSA/DNA for further certification."

That's it, that's the whole reply.

Picture of Ra$
posted Hide Post
WOW

I cant beileve they respond thats what a d**k of company they are

at least they respond your e-mail they havnt reply my back yet its been a month

This is why i wont be getting any of there products no longer i am done with TOPPS i dont consider them as trading card company they can go to hell all i care lol

Raz

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Lizzy:
Some of you may have already read about this on Jon's website, but I feel it is important to post this here, too.

I emailed Topps about these cards, and suggested it would be in their best interest to look into this issue (since counterfeit cards hurt all of us), and here is the response I received (2 weeks later):
"I would send them in to BGS or PSA/DNA for further certification."

That's it, that's the whole reply.

Goes to show how much they care. So let me get this straight. You should buy cards that you suspect might be bad, just so you can submit them for grading to prove that they are bad. And then what? Brilliant response. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Bad costumer service as I recalled on another topic Frown

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Maybe they will reconsider the idea to have autograph cards and not stickers like before... Oh well I wish.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
Topps is awful....

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post