Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Big Pulls from Single Boxes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Pulls from Single Boxes
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Went to a little show down here back in the day w/gopromoman Glenn. Previn from Terror Cards was there selling his product.

So I picked up one box (of 12 packs) from the mountain of boxes. My first pack contained a Debbie Rochon (Scream Queen) on-card autograph card.

I know... Doesn't seem like a big deal.

But the odds of pulling an auto card are one in 5+ boxes, and only 50 Rochon auto cards were seeded in this Terror Card premier release.

So thats a card I'm keeping awhile longer...

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Good stuff indeed!

I remember buying 4 packs of Rittenhouse Archives Star Trek "Nemesis" at Kmart of all places, and there was a Marina Sirtis autograph in there, not too shabby. I wonder how many Rittenhouse cards were sold in retail stores. Can't have been too many given the low print runs.

I'm a huge fan of the illustrator Steranko and FPG issued an art card set for him in the mid 1990's. I had a box coming in through my subscription service, but I get that stuff usually a few weeks after is hits shops, so I bought a pack at the comic store just to see them...and found an autograph card in a that lone pack, a real thrill.

I eventually bought a few more boxes by mail order to finish the "Calendar Girls" foil insert set.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I ordered four boxes of Walking Dead the first season and got them at SRP. I didn't pull either of the two autographs I really wanted, but I did get a hard to find sketch.

Season 2 was a different story. MY LHS could get only 3 boxes total for the store and the price was already marked up when they came in. I could have only one. So I pulled the Andrew Lincoln A1 autograph from my box. Elephant

Never looked for another one anywhere, I couldn't do any better. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have to say, my luck has changed this year, I've been a trading card loser with cases never mind boxes but at the end of march got 1 Walking Dead season 2 box and in pack 2 found a 1 in 288 pack sketch card by Scot Houseman.
Then this week got 1 Game of Thrones box and got the Emilia Clarke auto.

Happy Bunny Wink

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Back when I owned The Mystery Box a customer wanted to see what X-file Connections cards looked like. I opened a pack and it had the Gillian Anderson Autograph Pieceworks in it.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
A few that I can remember off the top of my head:

Patrick Stewart auto from Quotable Next Gen

Famke Janssen auto from X-Men

Chris Judge Auto: From two diffrent Stargate release's, each time a single box opened.

Dirk Benedict Auto costume from Battlestar Galactica: Colonial Warriors

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Single box of Firefly, got the redemption for Nathan Fillion's autograph!

Was the first box I'd bought of anything too, right at the start of collecting!

Similarly, though I bought a second box a bit later, my first box of Serenity included the PW5 (Kaylee) and A7 - Summer Glau (River) autograph! Major hit right there! That was the next box after the Firefly one. GREAT way to start off collecting!

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I think my best was buying some loose packs of Bond 50th Anniversary cards from my local dealer, and pulling the Roger Moore autograph card. I have also pulled a William Shatner autograph from one of the Star Trek TOS 40th Anniversary sets a year or so ago. I usually end up pulling very low level autographs, so I was very pleasantly surprised by both of these cards.

Posts: 1457 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
My best pulls:

1x pack of Batman Begins - Batman's Cape Costume Card

8x packs of James Bond 40th Anniversary - Joe Don Baker Autograph, the rarest of the set by far.

1x box of Bond 40th Anniversary - the obligatory 2 autos and the CC1 costume card of Sean Connery's Tuxedo from Dr. No

1x box of X-Files: Connections - the Gillian Anderson autograph redemption card in my very last pack. I pulled this when I was watching every episode of The X-Files through for the very first time so I was over the moon to say the least!

My girlfriend also once pulled the Brendan Gleeson auto from 1x box of Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire which is a bit rarer these days than when it was pulled!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For mother's day I bought my mom a Game of Thrones Season one box off of Ebay and when they came in, she came over and her and my wife immediately started opening packs. Third pack in my mom found the Emilia Clarke auto.

Technically not my pull but it was fun to get such a cool card from the first box of cards I've bought in over 10 years :P

Posts: 32 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One that comes to my mind is the Princess leigh Sketch by Sean Pence from a box of Starwars 30th....... Anotyer one is sitting in a pub with Starwars 30th boxes and watch a friend pull the same greedo auto out of 2 boxes, he's like who wants the rest of the packs??????
Needless to say your's truly took em......
I crack them, half way through the packs and a Graham Storm trooper 1 of 2 sketch comes out Smile Smile Smile
We all thought the Magic was over, last pack pulled a Sean Pence Sketch of a rebel guard Eek Eek Eek

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
Had to think about it

1. 2005 LOTR Evolution single box. I broke cases of this but i got a single box at a show from Sci-Fi cards i believe. It had a great full color Cat Staggs King of the Dead painted sketch (one of i think 5 full color ones for packs she did), and i think the other sketch was actually a russell walks Frodo sketch.

2. Star Wars 30th Len Bellinger Han/Luke/Chewie Trooper sketch, last pack too was sweating it.

3. Not Non-Sport, but out of a box of 2002 SP authentic hockey, middle of the pack 1st pack was a redemption for a full signed framed stat jersey from Wayne Gretzky. UD was charging $1500 from their site for those, so i was pleased. I traded it for a TON of star trek autos.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thush
posted Hide Post
Probably my best single box pull was getting a Penny auto/costume from one box of Big Bang Season 3+4. My hand was shaking when I realised what I'd managed to get.

Posts: 385 | Location: London, UK | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite pulls from the last 3 packs at my local Target, took my daughter to get the new Harry Potter book and grabbed the three packs just to see what the cards looked like. You never know!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
One of my favorite pulls from the last 3 packs at my local Target, took my daughter to get the new Harry Potter book and grabbed the three packs just to see what the cards looked like. You never know!

PLEASE PLEASE help me buy cards at Philly Big Grin

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Of course Kevin see you in September! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I know this doesn't really count, but getting a Nemesis archive box out of a case of nemesis was pretty rocking cool. The bad part was I was sitting on the couch opening packs and making a pile on the floor in front of me with the wrappers. As I leaped up to streak through the house to show hubby, I slid on the packs and punted the dog who was apparently laying where my pile was growing and got covered up.....

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Extreme luck, Excellent Pull!! Congrats!!

quote:
Originally posted by Batman:

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Mine came from a free gift box from Dave and Adam. A Thor Tom Hiddleston auto from a single RETAIL box. I couldn't believe it lol.

And I love the Disney Treasures sketch. Me and my Dad thought about chasing one, but it seems like a fruitless (and expensive) effort lol (we've only bought 4 boxes of Series 3 and got nothing).

Posts: 9 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I have opened the equivalent of at least 100 boxes (maybe more) of Disney Treasures III and never got a sketch, so don't feel bad. They are extremely rare, for sure. I've probably opened about 40-50 of Series II with the same result.

The upside were the 4 frame film cards (series II) and the embroidered Patch cards (series III) found in every fourth box along with the regular one per box single film frame which made that epic try for the sketch pretty inexpensive, especially since I was purchasing them at the clearance prices they were available at were at up until around 2007, when the supply finally started running lower.

A result of having opened so many packs is that I'm also left with what must be one of the nicest sets of single film frame cards in terms of the subjects depicted in the film cells and around 40 different cell subjects from the Nightmare Before Christmas film cards (from between Series II and III. Each set had an NBX film card).

I wish I could figure out how to get a decent picture of those to post them. One of these days...

I did get a Redemption card (actually a genuine blank sketch card with a sticker on it!) for a sketch from Disney Holiday Treasures. Those packs were only issued five at a time along with 2 mini Mickey and Minnie Mouse bobblehead at the original retail price of $19.99. They were never in the traditional 24 pack boxes. I was able to get a lot of those sets for WAY less than that on clearance and found the redemption card only a month or two before it expired (it was already a couple of years old by then), but it was still valid and we received an incredible full color Tinkerbell sketch (which another collector, who occasionally checks in here, now owns).

I think I would've kept that card, but I had to pay back my girlfriend who paid for half of the bulk lot we were able to get. It was a couple of hundred dollars, maybe $300 we spent, but the card sold for $800, so that made parting with it a little easier.

Just to show how fast things change, we made that purchase about 7 years ago at a Kaybee Toy Store outlet and actually were able to phone in the redemption card details to Upper Deck, if I'm remembering correctly.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post