Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Big Pulls from Single Boxes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Pulls from Single Boxes
 Login/Join

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by t2554:
Mine came from a free gift box from Dave and Adam. A Thor Tom Hiddleston auto from a single RETAIL box. I couldn't believe it lol.

And I love the Disney Treasures sketch. Me and my Dad thought about chasing one, but it seems like a fruitless (and expensive) effort lol (we've only bought 4 boxes of Series 3 and got nothing).

I got 8 "Free" Packs of Thor Retailfrom Dave and Adam's too and pulled a Kenneth B. auto!

Those were some good packs!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I have opened the equivalent of at least 100 boxes (maybe more) of Disney Treasures III and never got a sketch, so don't feel bad. They are extremely rare, for sure. I've probably opened about 40-50 of Series II with the same result.

The upside were the 4 frame film cards (series II) and the embroidered Patch cards (series III) found in every fourth box along with the regular one per box single film frame which made that epic try for the sketch pretty inexpensive, especially since I was purchasing them at the clearance prices they were available at were at up until around 2007, when the supply finally started running lower.

A result of having opened so many packs is that I'm also left with what must be one of the nicest sets of single film frame cards in terms of the subjects depicted in the film cells and around 40 different cell subjects from the Nightmare Before Christmas film cards (from between Series II and III. Each set had an NBX film card).

I wish I could figure out how to get a decent picture of those to post them. One of these days...

I did get a Redemption card (actually a genuine blank sketch card with a sticker on it!) for a sketch from Disney Holiday Treasures. Those packs were only issued five at a time along with 2 mini Mickey and Minnie Mouse bobblehead at the original retail price of $19.99. They were never in the traditional 24 pack boxes. I was able to get a lot of those sets for WAY less than that on clearance and found the redemption card only a month or two before it expired (it was already a couple of years old by then), but it was still valid and we received an incredible full color Tinkerbell sketch (which another collector, who occasionally checks in here, now owns).

I think I would've kept that card, but I had to pay back my girlfriend who paid for half of the bulk lot we were able to get. It was a couple of hundred dollars, maybe $300 we spent, but the card sold for $800, so that made parting with it a little easier.

Just to show how fast things change, we made that purchase about 7 years ago at a Kaybee Toy Store outlet and actually were able to phone in the redemption card details to Upper Deck, if I'm remembering correctly.

I was trying to figure out how to take pictures of them too lol. Some of them on ebay you can't see the cels at all and some are bright and vibrant. I THINK I figured out how to get them to show decently. Try scanning them with the tray up and/or with the tray up and shine a light on the card while it is scanning. I remember finding a way to show them off decently, but it was a while ago so I can't remember how exactly I did it.

I always wondered about those Treasures Holiday packs (I wasn't in the hobby when any of the Disney sets released); didn't know they had redemptions. Did the card say who the character/artist was that you would get or was it a surprise?

Your story makes me feel better about not finding a sketch lol. I feel like with how cheap boxes of Series 3 can be found for that those with money can just continually buy case after case, I really can't compete with that. Maybe one day I'll buy another handful of loose boxes.

quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
quote:
Originally posted by t2554:
Mine came from a free gift box from Dave and Adam. A Thor Tom Hiddleston auto from a single RETAIL box. I couldn't believe it lol.

And I love the Disney Treasures sketch. Me and my Dad thought about chasing one, but it seems like a fruitless (and expensive) effort lol (we've only bought 4 boxes of Series 3 and got nothing).

I got 8 "Free" Packs of Thor Retailfrom Dave and Adam's too and pulled a Kenneth B. auto!

Those were some good packs!

They used to have the option for a 16-pack retail box as a freebie, but I think they decided to spread them out more and now they only offer 8-pack lots.

Posts: 9 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The redemption sticker on the card said it would be from artist Dorota Kotarba-Mendes, but not the character. She also drew sketches for one of the regular series, also (either II or III), and definitely did some great work on her sketches.

I'm not sure if Redemptions were found only in the Holiday set, or if they were used in any of Series 1,2, or 3, but if so, it would utterly suck to find one of those in a pack, as there is no way they would be redeemable now, 10 years down the line. It was hard enough to redeem the valid one I did have. I had to wait a couple of months for it, and I never totally believed I would get it until the day I actually got it.

Even so, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the sketches from the four series were pack issued and weren't redemptions. I know of one other Holiday sketch that was found and the owner told me he pulled the sketch directly from the pack, and not a redemption card. Perhaps only Mendes was late in getting her sketches turned in for the Holiday set.

Posts: 3320 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
Your stories reminded me of the Disney holiday sketch I pulled. I probably purchased about 50 boxes with the bobble heads and another 20 boxes of the other Disney treasure series over years. Interestingly I never pulled a patch card or a 4 panel cell card. My sketch came from 4 holiday boxes from Kay Bee toys and pulled a Tigger sketch. With the value of these I put it up on ebay.

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I kind of hi-jacked the thread with so much reminiscing, but back on point, I did just remember that we got a single box of Harry Potter Memorable Moments Series II in an Artbox goodie bag (and never purchased any boxes at all of that set, otherwise).

In it was a Redemption card for the Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy dual autograph card.

While it was expired, Artbox (literally in their final days) were still nice enough to honor it and send us the card.

I sure miss them, especially at Comic-Con.

Posts: 3320 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LUZNDAVE:
My sketch came from 4 holiday boxes from Kay Bee toys and pulled a Tigger sketch. With the value of these I put it up on ebay.

I think I remember seeing that. What did that sell for?

Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly it was around $700. I know I posted the card here when I pulled it.

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I only have a few. Let me see:

From way back,a Lawless/Raimi DA8 from 2 packs of Quotable Xena
A1 Rick and A2 Shane from 2 boxes of Walking Dead Season 2
A6 Mayim Bialik as Amy Farrah Fowler from the only box of Big bang 3/4 I could get from my LCS
SW Galaxy 7 Rick Molinelli/Dickey Beer Boba Fett Sketchagraph from a single loose pack

Those are all I can think of for now...

Fenian95

Posts: 5 | Location: Canada | Registered: November 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last big pulls from a box of Star Trek TNG: Heroes and Villains I pulled a Gates McFadden auto and I opened a pack of the 2012 Spartacus set and pulled a Jaime Murray auto. Dance Metal Elephant very happy with those pulls

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
We were just talking about these Disney sketch cards here last month, am I'm very pleased to present one pulled from a now 9 year old pack just this very day. It's from series III and from Senior Disney Toy Designer ANNA LEE. Numbered 11/12 and signed, it's Dumbo the Flying Elephant! Not exactly from a single box, but definitely a big pull. I'm glad to have it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

posted Hide Post
I just pulled an Anna Paquin Extremely Limited autograph from a single box of True Blood Premiere Edition. So excited!

Posts: 17 | Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: October 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
We were just talking about these Disney sketch cards here last month, am I'm very pleased to present one pulled from a now 9 year old pack just this very day. It's from series III and from Senior Disney Toy Designer ANNA LEE. Numbered 11/12 and signed, it's Dumbo the Flying Elephant! Not exactly from a single box, but definitely a big pull. I'm glad to have it!

Beautiful card! I just posted in the other thread asking to see a pic (you forgot to post it there), but here it is lol.

I was extremely pumped to pull this one on vacation a few weeks ago. Single box purchased from a fresh case.

Posts: 9 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And congrats to you! Nice clean autograph and a cool embroidered swatch to go with it.

NSU Card Talkers are crackin' packs to the sun. NSU Card Talkers are crackin' packs to get lucky!

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Starchild
posted Hide Post
My two biggest pulls from single boxes:

Jessica Alba from a Dark Angel box
Ron Howard from a Twilight Zone box

Posts: 603 | Location: CT | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post