Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Newb-Newb Intro-Newb Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newb-Newb Intro-Newb Questions
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
Hi All!

I've never been a card collector before. Wierd hoarder maybe. 20 years ago I lived near a little store and when I went in for a morning coffee I just started to get a couple of packs of cards. The place also had cards from previously opened packs from 10/20 years before that in cellophane wrapped packs. It was something to do. A couple years later I was into Basketball a lot and I bought some boxes when I was in target and elsewhere. Apparently I was really into Kobe Stackhouse Grant Shaq ect..

They all got thrown into a couple of big boxes loose. Some went into a couple of binders.It stayed there until last weekend.

In the last 5 years or so I started to do the pack a day thing again. One or two everytime I went into the grocery store. Pretty much everything they had there. I didn't even open them, only a few. I piled all of them up in the liquor cabinet.

Recently I saw an old card set that tripped my collecting/hoarding itch bad.

I instantly started buying the individual cards online and I pulled the boxes out of the garage and the piles of packs out of the liquor cabinet and elsewhere. My first newb impulse is to buy everything everywhere, but, this ain't my first collecting rodeo and I know better than that. So I went online so I could maybe know my butt from a hole in the wall.

That brought me here.

Oh Man. It is different than way back then. And it is Awesome. New kinds of stuff, new terminology (To me anyway), new everything. It's really hard to hold back.

I'll get to the point/question.

I saw someone either here or elsewhere doing the miracle "I opened a Star Wars pack and I got this awesome thing", thing.

So I went through the pile a found 3 Star Wars packs.

1 Star Wars Trader 16 card pack
1 Star Wars Trader 6 Card pack
1 Star Wars Rogue One Mission Briefing pack (I like the look of these cards,old style)

(Yep, I'm old, Don't have a clue as to the two million Star Wars card/movie products out there.)

My question is....

In the "Trader" card packs, there are cards that have what looks like a scratch off strip on the back of them, like on a lottery scratcher. What is this?

I looked online and Star Wars Trader is apparently an online game. I haven't found out the reason for the strip though. I'm a six pack into the evening though, and my google fu in diminishing rapidly.

Sorry about the long winded post.

Thanks for having me over.

Farva

Posts: 2 | Location: Oregon | Registered: February 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello and welcome to non sports trading cards.
I dont know the answer to the star wars cards as I dont collect those, but I have seen similar cards for doctor who and world of warcraft.
In those you scratch off the card and enter a number on a website to get something online.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The strip covers a pin number that will get you what they call a digital card online.It is not a physical card but one that you can collect and trade online.There are a large collecting group that trades in these cards.Hope this helps.
Welcome to Card Talk

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Neilsy and silmapco!

I think I'll leave the cards intact for now until I figure out if it is worth it/fun enough to do the other thing.

Posts: 2 | Location: Oregon | Registered: February 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post