Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Just when you thought you had seen it all
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just when you thought you had seen it all
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

What happened to collecting for fun?

I think it ended when they stopped putting bubble gum in the packs.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

I am not ignoring the benefits or need for manufacturer certification, just saying that it is not necessarily the main reason to purchase a card for some people.

When purchasing motivations are further mixed with conversation on resale value, again as a primary motivation to purchase, then I'll stick with my assertion that the purity in the fun of it is being diminished.

Define fun as it relates to all of us.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get what you are saying. Sort of like the kid factor and how we collected back in the day.

Sadly when the 90's hit I saw plenty of kids with dollar signs in their eyes. Asking what something is worth every time they opened a pack of cards.

Where is the fun in mass collecting, going from rush to rush while a mountain of collection fills your house and the collector has lost all control of it?

For me the fun in collecting is building the collection that I want to have. I totally enjoy building casts and groupings for display with my cards. Plus it forced me to learn photoshop. Wink

Like every other collection there are items I wont allow myself to spend that much money on (Like a $3,000 RDJ) so I have to be content in not having it. Still, this also brings up the fun of keeping my eyes open because ya never know when a great deal may present itself. Cool

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I collect for fun. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
In line with discussing authenticity and TTM's.

I went to a small con with JSA doing on site grading yesterday. I have been wanting to get some of my old TTM sigs authenticated for awhile.

I grabbed 10 different autographs and decided to see what my success rate was.

The end result was 8 passed and 2 failed.

Passing sigs were

Tom Selleck
Peter Benchley
Robert Duvall
James Caan
Kathy Bates
Tom Clancy
Ralph McQuarrie
Clayton Moore

Failed Sigs were

Kevin Costner
Charles Bronson

All were obtained between 2000 and 2002.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Passing sigs were

Tom Selleck
Peter Benchley
Robert Duvall
James Caan
Kathy Bates
Tom Clancy
Ralph McQuarrie
Clayton Moore

Failed Sigs were

Kevin Costner
Charles Bronson

80% success rate -- seems pretty good to me. What were you expecting?

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:

Passing sigs were

Tom Selleck
Peter Benchley
Robert Duvall
James Caan
Kathy Bates
Tom Clancy
Ralph McQuarrie
Clayton Moore

Failed Sigs were

Kevin Costner
Charles Bronson

80% success rate -- seems pretty good to me. What were you expecting?

No real expectations, was pretty happy with the result. The two that failed were my biggest suspicions. I wasn't completely sure about 3 others.

After finding out my Bronson was a fake I found a Hollywood memorabilia sight with 10 Bronson's for sale. 7 out of 10 were just like mine with a price tag of $150.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
After finding out my Bronson was a fake I found a Hollywood memorabilia sight with 10 Bronson's for sale. 7 out of 10 were just like mine with a price tag of $150.

When you say just like mine, do you mean exactly, like an auto pen or stamp?

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Secretarial. Exactly in they were obviously signed by the same person.

The ones not authenticated here are all the same as mine. I don't mind bashing this company because I have called them out on selling fake stuff in the past.

https://www.hollywoodmemorabil...Azob2NNoSqc50UMCZwkg

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah, in doing a little research there is another site that says Bronson is a difficult autograph and most items signed are secretarial. That's probably why JSA picked up on yours so easily, the fake must be already well known to authenticators. And it is a fake, even though it had to be authorized by Bronson himself.

Also not all fakes are sold dirt cheap. So people who think it must be real because it's priced around the right price are using flawed logic. We all know that the $7 signed SMG cards on eBay are bad, but if the price was $100 they would still be bad. If they are asking around $150 for Bronson, that's not cheap, but some other places have his signed stuff at well over $200.

If you know it's a tough signer and some seller always has multiple autographs from them at the same time, it's a red flag. And COAs issued directly from the seller or from a company you never heard of and is no longer in business are absolutely worthless except as evidence in court, which by then is too late.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
If they are asking around $150 for Bronson, that's not cheap, but some other places have his signed stuff at well over $200.

Funny enough the link I posted has 7 photos/lobby cards not authenticated for $150 and 1 authenticated one for $800.

One might pose the question, If the price difference is that great why not get the other 7 verified?

Of course at the time I had no idea what kind of signer he was...I just found an address and took a shot. Smile

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny enough the link I posted has 7 photos/lobby cards not authenticated for $150 and 1 authenticated one for $800.

One might pose the question, If the price difference is that great why not get the other 7 verified?

You might call that another red flag. Big Grin