Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Artist, Who Are You?
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
I just pulled a sketch card from a Walking Dead box. Considering the odds I am very happy about that, plus its a good Walker sketch by, well I don't know by who because I can't read the signature. I tried to find an artist list to get a hint, but so far I don't see one. Now here is my question to artists . . .

Don't you want people to know your name? Don't you want to be recognized for your work?

I love it when the card manufacturer provides the artist name or at least a space where it can be printed. Unfortunately that rarely happens, and the signatures are often left as symbols or illegible scribble. I don't have all that many sketches and am not so familar with artists that I can identify them all, even if well know. Even in my smallish collection there are many unknowns.

So I beg you artists, please give collectors a break and write or print some name or part of a name that we can understand. Put it anywhere, front, back, who cares. I love your work, I want to know who you are. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have many sketches I'm not sure who drew them. It is frustrating, I agree with Raven.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Inkworks had the best system when they had individual cards made for each artist.

But, I realize it's no longer feasible when you have 100+ artists on the sets and some are doing less than 50 sketches.

But there should be some middle ground. Cult Stuff and Breygent have a spot on the back for a signature, but it does little when it's as illegible as the front.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Try posting a scan of your card here. I know it doesn't solve the over all root issue, but there's a decent chance that someone will be able to identify the artist of your card.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So I beg you artists, please give collectors a break and write or print some name or part of a name that we can understand. Put it anywhere, front, back, who cares. I love your work, I want to know who you are. Big Grin

Agree - all artists PLEASE print you name on the back of the sketch card

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
Inkworks had the best system when they had individual cards made for each artist.

You also have to consider many times there are artists who don't fulfill their obligation, so if their name is printed on the card those cards are now a wasted expense.

Personally, when the back of the cards allows I do print my name.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
I always try to sign it and print my name. Sometimes my printing isn't much better though.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the artists could be supplied with a rubber stamp with their name on it? Smile

I know some artists do sketch cards for the exposure since the money is rubbish. It really is in their interest to make sure that the punters can identify their work clearly and easily. Fancy signatures are all well and good but won't do any good in an internet search engine.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I always make sure to print my name on the front of my cards. For the Red Sonja and Vampirella series I signed my name on the back and printed my name on the front.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've got sketches that don't have a signature or printed name. As stated above if Artists are looking to get commissions how are punters supposed to know who to contact?

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
I've got sketches that don't have a signature or printed name. As stated above if Artists are looking to get commissions how are punters supposed to know who to contact?

Just contact those who do. Wink

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of WoofyTrades
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:

ARHHHH! I hate those!

Anyway, aside from asking those with superior signature deciphering skills, NSU, I generally place these cards in a misfit pile... forever.

I received a Star Wars Galaxy card recently that had a signature that I couldn't decipher and to make things worse the character is a complete mystery as well. It looks more like a TY Beanie than a Star Wars character. It is proudly sitting in my misfit pile.

Posts: 22 | Location: Non-Sport Forum | Registered: November 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
You should post a pic/scan of them on here and let us try to help you with putting a name to the art. Thumb Up

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post