Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thick cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Do people prefer thick cards ? I was watching a video on youtube where someone was bigging up thicker cards like they were a better quality compared to regular size cards, to me they are a pain, I just got 4 boxes of Walking dead survival and all cards have a thick quality, where do you store them ? they don't fit into pro ultra pages.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like thick cards when there is a reason for it like some costume/relic pieces or the Viceroy sketch cards which allow usage of all materials.

Thick base or chase cards are a waste of money, makes the boxes more expensive and as you say are a nuisance to store.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't like thick cards at all. They require separate storage when they can't fit into 9 pocket pages. Sometimes the 4 pocket will do, but then they slop around. I keep them in those small plastic cases, either individually for better ones or in small stacks for the lesser valued ones.

Another reason why I don't like them is because they are too easy to finger in packs. There seems to be the idea that cunning people are not searching packs anymore because open hobby boxes are hard to find in shops. Well they are when and if you can find a shop, plus boxes are being broken lots of other places, by lots of other people. I know if I saw one of those packs just sitting in a box, I would take that one. Wouldn't you?

I also think that many of them, relics and props, either don't need to be in such thick encasements at all, or would be better served if it was a winner on a redeemable card. Redemptions are a pain when you don't know if the maker even has the item to send, but as long as that is a guarantee in the case of a prop/relic, I wouldn't mind the extra time to get something that didn't have to be designed to fit into a pack at all.

Posts: 10391 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't mind a little bit of heft, but when I can't store them in 9-pocket pages, I don't bother with them.

To me, thicker cards do not equate to better quality. I wish manufacturers would get that out of their heads.

Sometimes it's necessary with relics and props, and I'm fine with that. But I don't need base sets where every cards is 1/4" thick.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post