Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Question About Recent Star Wars Chase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About Recent Star Wars Chase
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
The Topps SW set released in Sept had exclusive chase through Target, Toys R Us, Wal Mart and Walgreens

My questions are: Have people here on Card Talk seen all 4 different chase, and how difficult do they seem to be to find ?

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
My son got a blaster box from Toys-r-us and go 0 of the exclusive cards in the 10packs.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking around on the internet, it seems that the Target and Walmart chase are more available for purchase than the Toys R Us blueprints and the Walgreens set

On the Toys R Us and Walgreens, I have seen a few singles, but only 1 set of each for sale

On the Targets and Walmarts, I've seen multiple sets for sale

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
The Target and Walmart exclusives are fairly easy to find. Probably because there are so many of these stores. The difficulty is to purchase only the packs that are marked "exclusive cards inside". For example, the Target box did not have any exclusive cards, nor did the Target or Walmart gravity feed packs. But the blister packs marked "exclusive cards inside" did.

Interestingly, some people (like myself) found TRU Blueprints cards inside the Walmart exclusive packs.

I have not been to a TRU store, as there is not one nearby.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw an auction where someone said that he found the Walgreens chase at Target

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have there been prior Topps Star Wars sets with store exclusive chase cards ?

I think 1 or 2 of those Clone animated sets from the early to mid-2000s had Target exclusive chase, but I passed on those sets

Any other ones, or is this new SW the first ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have been collecting these as well, and didn't realize that there are 3 levels of exclusive RETAIL chase

Sets of Heroes of the Resistance and Power of the First Order seem to be easy to find

However, how come I have not seen the 9 card Lightsaber Evolution set that Jeff Allendar lists ? I have not even seen singles. Are they called something else ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Have there been prior Topps Star Wars sets with store exclusive chase cards ?

I think 1 or 2 of those Clone animated sets from the early to mid-2000s had Target exclusive chase, but I passed on those sets

Any other ones, or is this new SW the first ?

Right, Seasons 1 and 2 of CW had retail exclusives at Target, Walmart, Meijer, and Toys are Us.
The Clone Wars shows were aimed for kids, and kids may be more likely to shop retail.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I have been collecting these as well, and didn't realize that there are 3 levels of exclusive RETAIL chase

Sets of Heroes of the Resistance and Power of the First Order seem to be easy to find

However, how come I have not seen the 9 card Lightsaber Evolution set that Jeff Allendar lists ? I have not even seen singles. Are they called something else ?

Those cards were apparently shown on one of the pre-release sheets; the first Cardboard Connection article linked in News and Rumors talked about "Evolution of the Lightsaber (nine cards) looks at the history of the weapon." Looks like this subset was replaced by either Heroes of the Resistance or Power of the First Order, neither of which was mentioned in the CC blog. Time to remove!

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
The availability of the SWJTTF cards varies by region. As I traveled to the stores the Toy r Us and Target packs were available. At Targets the cards were in the toy department and at Toys r us they were with all the other cards in a feeder box. As for the Walmart and Walgreen's cards there were none in sight and the store managers had no idea.

I have some for trade and need a few to complete a base set.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So the Walmart Family Legacy come in 2 diff card stock, modern and old style ?

How are the different versions found, and which is more common ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of dstrohmeng
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
So the Walmart Family Legacy come in 2 diff card stock, modern and old style ?

How are the different versions found, and which is more common ?

These are packaged the same way that Topps packaged some sets (SW 30th, Hollywood Zombies) in years past - two packs in a clear blister with the exclusive cards visible behind the packs, so you can tell which stock you're getting. I've only seen them at one Walmart, but the vintage stock was more common.

Also, has anyone seen the Walgreens packs yet? They're not with the other cards in the toy aisle, but I've heard some stores are setting up Star Wars endcaps, so maybe that's where they'll be.

Posts: 380 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: February 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dstrohmeng:
Also, has anyone seen the Walgreens packs yet? They're not with the other cards in the toy aisle, but I've heard some stores are setting up Star Wars endcaps, so maybe that's where they'll be.

I have been to several Walgreens, and have not seen any!

Picture of dstrohmeng
posted Hide Post
I finally found the Walgreens packs. They're on an endcap dedicated to Star Wars. The good thing about these is that the exclusive card is packaged at the front of the blister, so you know which one you're getting. I picked up the two that had prequel cards (Obi-Wan from The Phantom Menace and Vader from Revenge of the Sith).

Posts: 380 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: February 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All of a sudden, the Classic Captions (Walgreens) and the Blueprints (Toys R Us) seem to be popping up for sale more, but still not as much as the Family Legacy (Walmart) or the Target ones (Choose your Destiny)

I wonder if the SW set coming in December will have store exclusives

Picture of dstrohmeng
posted Hide Post
It turns out that the Walgreens blister packs actually contain three Captions cards - the visible one, and then one in each of the two packs.

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I purchased 6 of the Walgreen packs and I may go back to pick up 3 more to get an extra set of the Walgreen's exclusive sets if anyone who doesn't have a walgreens need help with these.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dstrohmeng:
It turns out that the Walgreens blister packs actually contain three Captions cards - the visible one, and then one in each of the two packs.

Not all of them. I had about half of mine that didn't have any exclusives in the packs. Couldn't pin down a pattern to it though, seemed pretty random.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ed, please email me. Thanks

David Rosciszewski

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I picked up 10 of the 2 card blister packs and 19 of the 20 packs had a Walgreen Exclusive in it. I ended up with 29 of the Wal-green cards-3 sets of 8 and 5 duplicates.