Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    The Curse of Signing.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Curse of Signing.
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted
I was just browsing my Hammer Horror cards from Cornerstone which include six autographs. Out of intrest i went off to find out what these people are doing now only to find that five of them have died since they signed. Eek

Only Dave Prowse is still alive and if i was him i'd lock all the doors and hide under the bed. Big Grin

I'm sure someone could tell me the same about Trek or Bond but it still comes as a bit of a shock, more so because there were only six in the set.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I was just browsing my Hammer Horror cards from Cornerstone which include six autographs. Out of intrest i went off to find out what these people are doing now only to find that five of them have died since they signed. Eek

Only Dave Prowse is still alive and if i was him i'd lock all the doors and hide under the bed. Big Grin

I'm sure someone could tell me the same about Trek or Bond but it still comes as a bit of a shock, more so because there were only six in the set.

It just means that if Wolfie owns your autograph card.you gotta buy it back or increase your life cover!! Wink

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Well, the bulk of the stuff Hammer is beloved for came from the 1960's right? That means most people on those cards appeared in the various movies 40 to 50 years ago. Unless they were fairly young (under 30) when appearing in the films, they would all be around 80 years or more these days. Even Mr. Prowse is in his 70's (although the Force is strong with him, so I'm sure he's got a long way to go!).

Anyway, my point is, I notice all the middle aged famous people I liked when I was a kid are quite elderly or else gone, and all the famous people who were my own age are now starting to get a little long in the tooth. (How is it then, that I am still so darn young seeming? Must be that I hang out at a trading card forum!)

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyway, my point is, I notice all the middle aged famous people I liked when I was a kid are quite elderly or else gone, and all the famous people who were my own age are now starting to get a little long in the tooth. (How is it then, that I am still so darn young seeming? Must be that I hang out at a trading card forum!)

Wow, the same thing has happened to me! Trading cards are the REAL Fountain of Youth!

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
You should check out the number of signers in the 5 Rittenhouse Twilight Zone sets that have died since signing. I felt that way one day when I was looking through my auto cards. It was dead, just died, dead, just died.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
As far as i know nobody has died since refusing to sign a trading card.

There's obviously a lesson to be learned here. Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
You should check out the number of signers in the 5 Rittenhouse Twilight Zone sets that have died since signing. I felt that way one day when I was looking through my auto cards. It was dead, just died, dead, just died.

Same thing with the Batman TV series. Someone wanted a new set with all the bells and whistles, but nearly every major name guest star on that series is deceased. Batman, Robin and Bat Girl are still alive and signing any place that asks them Big Grin, but that would just about be your autograph list.

And I do love those Twight Zone autographs, without a doubt almost every signature is letter perfect legible. That's what comes when people take pride in knowing how to write. Wink I wouldn't mind seeing another TZ release before its too late.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

Same thing with the Batman TV series. Someone wanted a new set with all the bells and whistles, but nearly every major name guest star on that series is deceased. Batman, Robin and Bat Girl are still alive and signing any place that asks them Big Grin, but that would just about be your autograph list.

And I do love those Twight Zone autographs, without a doubt almost every signature is letter perfect legible. That's what comes when people take pride in knowing how to write. Wink I wouldn't mind seeing another TZ release before its too late.

i agree with another Twilight Zone set.it didnt have many top signers last time.i would like to see some more star trek stars sign again for a new set of Twilight Zone!some double,triple auto cards or sketches would be good?.

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post