Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    List of Recent Topps Product Inserts ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

List of Recent Topps Product Inserts ?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I am trying to make up a list for myself of the recent (last 1-5 years) exclusive Topps cards and stickers that were inserted in books, calendars, and other products

I am NOT counting Star Wars cards OR cards that came in comic books, like the 2013 Mars Attacks

Can someone help me with this ? I am aware of the following:

Bazooka Joe book

Garbage Pail Kids book (2012)

Mars Attacks 2014 calendar

Star Trek book of the 1976 cards

Garbage Pail Kids 2014 calendar

Are there any OLDER calendars or books that contain Wacky Packages, Garbage Pail Kids, etc. exclusive cards or stickers ????

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
To update my list, I see from Amazon there was also a 2012 Mars Attacks book with 4 cards

Again, I'm not interested in Star Wars cards, and I am not counting those 2013 IDW Mars Attacks books with the sketches...

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
A Nicktoons Baseball video game had cards that paired MLB players with a cartoon character like Spongebob or Stimpy.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
There are two different Wacky Packages books (in the style of the Mars Attacks, GPK, and Star Trek books) and each had four bonus cards.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Are those Wacky Packages books the ones from way back in 2008 in 2010 ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, and there was a CD by the punk supergroup Osaka Popstar called "Rock'em O-Sock 'em Live!" and that comes with a Topps Osaka Popstar Garbage Pail kid card. That's from 2008.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Chesspiece, I see two Osaka cards

One is P1, says Rock Em O Sock Em on the front

One is P2, says Drum Kit on the front

Curiously, both have the same front image, from what I can see, just different numbers (P1, P2) and captions

Were BOTH in the CD ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about that. The P2 might have been for a band signing. I do remember seeing a promo card promoting the promo, too, but I think that's oversized.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Chesspiece, I checked and I have a few of the P2 drum kit promos. I do not have the P1

This P2 can't be that hard to find. Perhaps it was from a Philly or a NYC show ?

Why then is the P2 on ebay for $25-40 (multiple auctions) ? Maybe it was at Philly or NYCC but it was limited ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Heh, I don't have either one, so I'm not much help on the specifics I'm afraid. Perhaps a GPK collector could weigh in here.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just to update this list--there were at least 9 books and calendars (not counting comic books or Star Wars stuff) released over the past 7 years that contained exclusive Topps cards or stickers:

2014 Mars Attacks calendar
2014 Garbage Pail Kids calendar
2010 Wacky Packages calendar

Bazooka Joe 60th Anniversary Book
Mars Attacks 50th Anniversary book
Wacky Packages 2008 book
Wacky Packages 2010 book
Garbage Pail Kids 2012 book
Star Trek Original Topps 2013 book

Anything else ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I noticed today for the first time that the stickers in the 2010 Wacky calendar are the SAME as the ones which come in the 2nd printing of the 2008 book. In fact, they say that on the back

Does anyone know what was in the 1st print of the 2008 book, if anything ???

posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Mars Attacks IDW comics (#5-10) that came with a card, and IDW's GPK Comic Variants that come with a card...

Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the new GPK comics with the cards, are there just SP1 to 3, or more than 3 cards, not counting variants ?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Posted for David R.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You asked for it, you got it!

This image shows that there are at least 4 versions of the Mars Attacks, three printings from the book, and the same set but with the parallel green border from the calendar. I have the calendar ones, but I'm not sure which printing are the ones in my book.

Those Topps books are great. I think the 1977 Star Wars cards are on deck. It will be nice to get more cards in that vintage design, that's still so close to my heart, 38 years after 6 year old me collected when they were new.

The photos are great reference, thanks! I'd never even looked at the cards from the wonderful Bazooka Joe book. I have now! Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see there are also at least four variations of the GPK book cards, too, as yours say "4th Edition". It a nice attention to detail for Topps denote the cards in the way for each printing, and it creates something (sort of) new for GPK enthusiasts, and there are a lot, to chase after.
I wonder if that book stopped at 4 printings and if the GPK was finished after 3?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow ! Good eyes. I have had these for 2 years now, and I never noticed the tiny print on the backs which say 3rd and 4th editions

So it is CONFIRMED that the GPK and Mars Attacks have multiple versions ? And are they the same except for the reference to the printings ? Same fronts ?

And what about the Wacky Packages above ? Notice the blue ones say that they came in the 2nd edition of the 2008 book. What came in the 1st edition ?