Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    SMG to sign Buffy cards for Rittenhouse
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SMG to sign Buffy cards for Rittenhouse
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of glen87
posted
posted on their front page

Posts: 642 | Location: VT | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Stopped following Buffy a looooong time ago, but for fans this is an epic announcement! Very impressive they managed to get her.
A wonder what sort of set RA are compiling, I am surpised to hear of another Buffy set all these years later. Confused

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

for fans this is an epic announcement!

wrong, for everyone who collected the sets over the years this is the final kick in the teeth from SMG. Twak

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

wrong, for everyone who collected the sets over the years this is the final kick in the teeth from SMG. Twak

Why? What about the Bond actors that have taken years to sign - Have they kicked Bond collectors in the teeth? It is GREAT news for Buffy fans - a new set AND Buffy finally signing. I say WELL DONE Rittenhouse for asking again and it shows fans should never give up.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will wait to see what numbers she has signed but as it's Rittenhouse I am very hopeful. They usually do not deal in the tiny quantities of some other companies, it's normally a figure in the hundreds.

I think this is a well judged move, it's been a while since the last Inkworks set and interest is still strong with people discovering the series via re-runs, DVD and Blu-ray.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

If you are an autograph collector you always have to look at the big picture and realize that there is no guarantee when it comes to the signing habits of celebrities.

This is a big deal for Buffy fans, but it remains to be seen how many cards she signed and if its worth the price to try and get one.

I have always said that SMG would sign official Buffy material someday. They all do, as they get older and are in less demand, they look to cash in on past work. If anything, I am surprised that she has started now that she is back on TV with The Crazy Ones and it is a moderate hit. It was more likely to have happened as she kept getting her new shows cancelled.

Anyway, getting back to my point on autographs in general, you can't expect that someone who never signed before won't start when the offer is good enough or their finances are bad enough. You can't expect that just because you paid a small fortune for a rare autograph when they didn't sign, that person won't suddenly sign for every product that asks and the market won't be flooded with their inexpensive autographs.

Its the chance you take and there is no sense getting mad at the celebrity. I just set a limit on what I am willing to spend on a given celebrity knowing that, more likely than not, the number of available autographs are going to increase, the demand may go down and the price may go down.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

Completey disagree wolfie.

I don't see how an actress signing collectibles for her fans could ever be a bad thing.

We'll never know why she didn't sign when Inkworks had the Buffy licence, but she's signing now, isn't that all that really matters? Good on her, whatever the reason she has decided to do it as her fans will stand to gain by having the possibility to add a cool item to their collection and good on RA for providing Buffy fans with arguably the most important Buffy card ever produced, even if it is all these years later.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Omg SMG is signing and there is going to be a new set by Rittenhouse! Best news about cards I've heard all year.

I never collected the Buffy autos for previous sets because there was no SMG. This will be one card I have to get.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

Why? What about the Bond actors that have taken years to sign - Have they kicked Bond collectors in the teeth? It is GREAT news for Buffy fans - a new set AND Buffy finally signing. I say WELL DONE Rittenhouse for asking again and it shows fans should never give up.

I have to concur on this. I don't think Harrison Ford kicked anyone in the teeth when he finally signed for Star Wars and most collectors, I think, would be similarly pleased were Sean Connery to sign for a James Bond set.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think I may be on my own here. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My baseless speculation, but maybe she's signing now because she's realizing she's not quite as hot/popular/"big" as she thought she was then, and this is a way to get her name out there again. I would imagine that signing collectible trading cards could only help your brand.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
My baseless speculation, but maybe she's signing now because she's realizing she's not quite as hot/popular/"big" as she thought she was then, and this is a way to get her name out there again. I would imagine that signing collectible trading cards could only help your brand.

That and the fact that you are also being paid something for it. The notion that she is doing it for the Buffy fans sounds great, but if that were the only motivation she would have been out there on the Con circuit long ago.

She protected her autograph for a long time and now she has decided to sign for RA for whatever reasons. I don't consider it a noble gesture on her part, but I do think it will be the best Buffy card ever, at least until the next time she does it. Big Grin

Congrats to RA for making it happen. Thumb Up

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I just hope they don't do a parallel set.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
She's not the only one to not sign for cards being on a top show. Tom Welling and Kristen Kruek never signed for Smallville, Matthew Fox didn't either for LOST. It took till The X-Files second movie for David Duchovny to finally sign.

I'm just happy there will be a Buffy auto card because it would certainly be the most sought after card in the entire collection.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don't fool yourself...this will be a $1000 card...at least initially.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
buffy who?

...if you can count them you haven't got enough.

Posts: 167 | Location: uk | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
In the Royal Family apparently the late Queen Mother was sometimes known as Buffy. Wow if they got her to sign from the beyond the grave, that would be amazing!! Eek Wink Big Grin

Back to sanity...I don't think SMG has kicked anyone in the teeth. What I always loved about Buffy was the whole cast of strong characters. Yes, she's the star of the show, but often I didn't care much for her, and was a fan of some of the other characters. When buying the other trading card sets we knew she hadn't signed for them so we weren't getting conned or anything.

It's really pleasing that she's going to sign this time...for whatever reason. It might be a card that's beyond a lot of ordinary budgets, or it might be reasonable...who knows, it's just fantastic news she is signing. If she signs for one set...and on here the news has been received mostly positively...then she might sign for further sets. Smile

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I think you may find that as they done with Majel Barrett, Rittenhouse would get her to sign several different designs for future sets.

This will be my first Buffy set Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yay!

A £300 autograph card to collect in order to keep my 'complete' Buffy set 'complete'.

Joy.

Wink

Posts: 213 | Location: SY, England | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
If I were a betting woman then this card with
will fall under Rittenhous's Extremely Limited category, and will likely reach outrageous heights on eBay. Start saving now. I'll hold out hope for a second autograph card. One other possibility, hopefully we'll get another Alyson Hannigan auto.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post