Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Spartacus Blood & Sand cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spartacus Blood & Sand cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted
Stupid questions for the group about the Spartacus Blood and Sand cards--I know this series was released as a premium product, but I don't understand why I don't see any of the base sets up for sale/auction on that site. Do these actually exist? Or, are they so hard to put together that no one parts with any of the base cards or a set?

Should I give up trying to find these cards, or are they just so common no one sells or trades them?

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I didn't watch the show and only bought a couple of Spartacus packs from the first release, so I'm not really following the cards on that auction site. However I think the way the base cards were inserted might explain why they are hard to find now, if that is the case.

On the one hand, the base set is very hard and very expensive to try to construct from packs. The ratio of base cards in the set to the number that were put in the packs actually makes it more difficult to get any single base card than it is to get any single premium hit. Essentially there are no base cards, they are all hits.

On the other hand, most collectors opening a few packs have no real regard for the base cards because they know they will never try to complete the set. I don't know what I did with the ones I had as I was only interested in what autographs I could pull, probably have the base cards in one of my mixed boxes somewhere.

Because they were limited to begin with and then spread out and maybe thrown out by people who didn't want them, there may be a relatively small number of Sparacus base sets that can be completed. Collectors with the desire to complete may be holding on to them, while collectors that don't care don't know that it's worth the trouble to post individual base cards.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up some packs and had some of the base/chase. . . had them up on TCM and forums for a while, but no one seemed interested . . . I don't think the cards are particularly expensive if you can find them. I don't know where the ones I had went. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
I hear you Will. I only need 5 base cards to complete my set. I wouldn't say I obsess about looking for them but I would have thought by now some more would have appeared. I only have two autos left and I hardly see those appear either.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a case of these and only ended up with 1 base set, very few extras.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 1 card short of a 2nd set but busted it up for another collector. Which cards are you looking for and I will check to see what I still have duplicates of. This is a hard set to complete unless you bought a case when it came out.

Posts: 249 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Great information. It appears that I misjudged the ability to put a base set together. I may keep this one the "If I find it..." list, but not stress myself out too much looking for them. Thanks everyone !

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I had a few base cards but traded them quite quickly on this site.

I have the following cards left from various Spartacus releases: -

Spartacus Blood & Sand
• Savage SA6

Spartacus 2012 Premium Trading Cards
• G1 & G9
• B1
• GB1
• WG2
• V9
• Peter Feeney as Quintilius Varus
• Reuben de Jong as Theokoles

I would check the trades forum as you may find a selection of base cards from the set there.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post