Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Toughest Common set to complete
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toughest Common set to complete
 Login/Join

Picture of Jaguar69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sci-FiPlanet:
quote:
Originally posted by trade-a-card:
Toughest Common set of all times: Metal Gear Solid (just because of all the different variations of common cards).

Not just because of the variations, but also because a massive number of boxes never made it to the market and were later destroyed

Destroyed!! WTF, who and why ? I never heard that before, i just thought they were simply scarce because they didn't make that many.

'Toughest set' is an understatment for this one! 10+ years I have been looking for more of these!

Posts: 96 | Location: Ipswich, UK | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
Try putting together a Gilligan's Island set from the 60's. Red Face

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Patdata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar69:
quote:
Originally posted by Sci-FiPlanet:
quote:
Originally posted by trade-a-card:
Toughest Common set of all times: Metal Gear Solid (just because of all the different variations of common cards).

Not just because of the variations, but also because a massive number of boxes never made it to the market and were later destroyed

Destroyed!! WTF, who and why ? I never heard that before, i just thought they were simply scarce because they didn't make that many.

'Toughest set' is an understatment for this one! 10+ years I have been looking for more of these!

The story goes that the manufacturers underestimated the weight of the acetate and they were prohibitively expensive to ship as a result, cutting in to their profit margin to the extent that they decided to bin the remaining stock.

If you are going to be at the Memorabilia show in November let me know and we could trade some MGS cards (I was lucky enough to find two whole boxes of these in a toy shop in Dublin a few years ago)

Posts: 1098 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Patdata - email sent Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
The Donruss issue of Twister was tough to complete. It took me 4 boxes to make one set.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:

Oh no I didn't. It seems your email address in your profile isn't valid Frown

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
I've had a Metal Gear Solid thread in the Trading section on here for years. Very little response though. Possibly because I only need a few of the easier to get variations. Love to hear from anybody with cards to trade.

Posts: 191 | Location: Cheshire, UK | Registered: January 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jaguar69
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are going to be at the Memorabilia show in November let me know and we could trade some MGS cards (I was lucky enough to find two whole boxes of these in a toy shop in Dublin a few years ago)

Unfortunataly, I dont have any MGS swaps at all, and i am currently in Hong Kong for the year, where there are ****all trading cards except Yu-gi-oh and Magic, and most of them are fake or japanese!!
How i miss busting open a box of cards!!

Posts: 96 | Location: Ipswich, UK | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It's not a base set, but finding all the ruby bordered parallel cards from the 1993 TSR/Dungeons and Dragons set is still giving me fits. With perfect collation, as Jeff Allender's website says, it would take nearly 28 boxes to find them all. Yet, I somehow have managed to accumulate a bunch of duplicates of these....

Next year, I will have been working on this set for 20 years, with still 5-6 cards left to find. Frown

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Patdata
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh no I didn't. It seems your email address in your profile isn't valid Frown

Graham just take the 'nospam' out of the address and you are good to go Big Grin

Posts: 1098 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post