Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Toughest Common set to complete
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toughest Common set to complete
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
What's the hardest set that you've ever tried to complete? Is there a set out there that after all of these years you're still missing a few cards?
I've got three sets that after years and years I still haven't completed.

Groo - I've had the same 67 cards of this set of 150 since forever. Even when they do appear on the bay they are usually disproportionately expensive.
Inline Hemp Cards Ser.2 - Series 1 wasn't too bad but the second series is a killer to complete.
Reboot - I've now opened six boxes of these poxy cards and STILL do not have a full set

Even after some weighty trades with other members of this forum I never gained a single card from these three sets.

So what's your nightmare set to complete??

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I never could find:

ART OF HEAVY METAL - 73

GODZILLA PREMIUM - 87

And a bunch of minor chase cards which I will not list since I think you are only talking about base cards here (?)

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I've got a bunch of sets that I just can't seem to finish off, some of these have been on my want list for more than 15 years:
Hollywood Walk of Fame
Heroes of 9/11
Enduring Freedom
Lord of the Rings Flipz
Davy Crockett Green

Some of these I only need one card, but nobody has singles.The Davy Crockett set has some short prints that are hard to find. I have had 2 boxes of Heroes of 9/11 and still cn't finish the set (need 1 card).

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know this is probably not on the same level as what you guys are talking about, but I recall in 1991 or so, buying 2 boxes of those Peanuts (Charlie Brown) cards, either Series 1 or 2, which I believe consisted of 200 cards in the base set, and the two boxes did not even yield one set. Frown I had to buy more boxes.

In terms of LARGE base sets that might be tough to complete, how about those Elvis sets by River Group in the 1990s, or those TSR Dungeons and Dragons sets ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened a box of Toy Story 1 back in the 90's. It had one damaged card in the base set. I've never been able to find that single and I hate having to buy an entire set for one card.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don Norton and John Tirohn
email sent

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's funny you mentioned the Groo set, I was so excited when I got my hands on that one, I actually posted it on here.. didn't seem that many people really knew who Groo was.. still one of my favourites sets of all time..

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605353/m/1607010995

As for common sets, I don't really go about collecting them as individual cards, I tend to just buy the whole set and then spend time collecting the chase cards etc...

Based on scarcity of items on ebay I would say the May Gibbs card set would be a tough one..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Yeah I just checked the 'bay and Groo singles are selling for about a buck a piece, inserts at $40 and even four empty packets is asking for $5!!!

As always, if only I could just win Lotto (just once would be fine)

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groo sets do do up on occasion, but not very often.. I think I paid about $80 for the base set and about $20 each for the inserts.. was pretty happy with that.. would have paid more..

Another set that I find difficult to get my hands on is the Fathom set. The bases do come up every now but the inserts are very scarce..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
Groo sets do do up on occasio

Would that be Grooby dooby doo be do Brad?

Picture of tiggerhouse
posted Hide Post
I'm still looking for common singles (missing 18 of them) for the retail version of the Spiderman Filmcardz from Artbox. The retail chase cards are also impossible to find.

Posts: 226 | Location: Saint Johnsbury, Vermont, USA | Registered: October 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Reading about all the part sets you have and the singles you can't find reminds me of why i only ever buy full sets of anything.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of trade-a-card
posted Hide Post
Toughest Common set of all times: Metal Gear Solid (just because of all the different variations of common cards).

Posts: 860 | Location: Germany | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Groo but it's not something I expected to be a desirable set. The last 2 base sets on Ebay sold for $100 each.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Lord of the Rings Flipz

Email sent Don

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
The Italian Beauty and the Beast set was tough to put together. It took several boxes and trading online to complete.

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LUZNDAVE:
The Italian Beauty and the Beast set was tough to put together. It took several boxes and trading online to complete.

I'm with you on this one! After opening three boxes I am still a large number of cards short. Wotcha got to trade them?

Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
The WCW the G.I.Joe both from Impel (1991). You will need more than 1 box to complete the set. If you have bad luck maybe more. Also I noted that you always miss similar numbers for both sets. In WCW was Ricky Morton cards and in G.I.Joe was the Sonic Fighters cards.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NEMESISBOY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
I've got a bunch of sets that I just can't seem to finish off, some of these have been on my want list for more than 15 years:
Hollywood Walk of Fame
Heroes of 9/11
Enduring Freedom
Lord of the Rings Flipz
Davy Crockett Green

Some of these I only need one card, but nobody has singles.The Davy Crockett set has some short prints that are hard to find. I have had 2 boxes of Heroes of 9/11 and still cn't finish the set (need 1 card).

Hi Don
If you are still after the Heroes of 9/11 card i have about a dozen , which one are you after and i'll check for you ?

Posts: 67 | Location: LONDON | Registered: September 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trade-a-card:
Toughest Common set of all times: Metal Gear Solid (just because of all the different variations of common cards).

Not just because of the variations, but also because a massive number of boxes never made it to the market and were later destroyed, the distribution of those make it out was lousy and it was very very limited in the first place. Not to mention the high price of the cards which only had 4 "cards" per pack and 1 of 9 variant check-lists (18 if you count the colour variants) This really is one of the toughest sets in the modern age of cards.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post