Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Custom Souvenir Cards Infringe Copyright?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Souvenir Cards Infringe Copyright?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was that one artist who, 3-4 years back, produced a card set which he was selling at the San Diego Comic Con, of painted images he did of Marvel, DC, and Star Wars characters. I won't mention the name, but we discussed it here on the forum.

Each year he'd release about 10 new cards, and I think he got up to 30 or so. Seems like he stopped, as I haven't seen new ones in 2 years or so. I don't know how he got away with selling those.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see tons of unlicensed prints available for sale by artists at conventions. I have heard there have been crackdowns here and there on them.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Same thing happens with commissions, there are lots of licensed characters used, but its not a big deal when it's one offs and its quiet.

It becomes a big deal when people start advertising and mass producing to the point that it comes to someone's attention. A little money can afford to be lost, but a license holder would be foolish to let anyone else cash in a lot on their copyright. Some are more blind than others, but you don't fool around with DC, Marvel or anything Disney.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post