Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parallel Sets
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I love parallel sets- I make no secret of it. I like a parallel set to be a challenge, but not stupidly difficult or impossible - what's the point! The aim is to complete the set, that is what trading cards is all about.

For example - star wars finest refractor set. Possibly one of the best parallel sets ever produced. If someone started this set today, they could still have a chance to complete it; albeit it would take time. The were 4 cards in a box I believe.

With Star Wars Galactic 2, 2 of the 3 the parallel sets are impossible to complete, whilst in the Jedi Legacy parallel sets all are possible, except the gold which were 1/10.

Star Wars 30th anniversary contained both blue and red parallel sets, I calculated that the red set was 1:175, and 1:350 for the blue. These are good odds, and give you a chance to complete. Anything less that 1: 150, and the set becomes too difficult to complete.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Very close to completing my gold parallel set for Marvels Greatest Battles and I'm enjoying the chase (at a reasonable price Wink ).

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by fuchaldream:

I'm just saying that while it can be the result of laziness; it is not necessarily the case. Just my point of view.

And I disagree Big Grin My point is why? a set is produced and then the added value is you get a gold or silver or red border set that is the same in every other way!! Everyone can like what they like - I think it is a waste

OK. I suppose I can respect your right to be wrong. Big Grin

Just kidding. You are absolutely correct. I was only saying that I don't think it is always about laziness. I think sometimes it's just a manufacturer trying to add one more, possibly meaningless, insert for fans.

I probably have that perspective because I only collect things I love. So, I look for every reason to stick with products I like. I like revisiting and revisiting and... yes, revisiting card sets and shows and movies with my wife.

I guess it all boils down to why you collect.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Very close to completing my gold parallel set for Marvels Greatest Battles and I'm enjoying the chase (at a reasonable price Wink ).

And to be fair despite my comments these do look nice

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:

I'm just saying that while it can be the result of laziness; it is not necessarily the case. Just my point of view.

And I disagree Big Grin My point is why? a set is produced and then the added value is you get a gold or silver or red border set that is the same in every other way!! Everyone can like what they like - I think it is a waste

OK. I suppose I can respect your right to be wrong. Big Grin

Just kidding. You are absolutely correct. I was only saying that I don't think it is always about laziness. I think sometimes it's just a manufacturer trying to add one more, possibly meaningless, insert for fans.

I probably have that perspective because I only collect things I love. So, I look for every reason to stick with products I like. I like revisiting and revisiting and... yes, revisiting card sets and shows and movies with my wife.

I guess it all boils down to why you collect.

I do know what you mean and I do agree that there are other lazy sets made and other lazy chase sets - the good thing about this hobby is there is plenty to like and dislike - enjoy the chase Smile

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
I like parallels but as many said above as long as they are not lazy with them (a gold stamp doesn't cut it!). My favorite set 1995 Marvel Masterpieces had a nice parallel set, one per pack was a little easy but it was a large set so it still took many boxes to complete. I like the cryptozoic parallel sets, you get a few per box and almost always get a set from a case with a few extras. Even the 2007 Marvel Masterpieces parallel sets were good. They had a one per pack and a few per box. I am even good with one super rare version (less than 10 of each card produced). I don't consider them part of a master set due to scarcity but I get a few of them as examples.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am upset that the upcoming James Bond set by Rittenhouse has a 110 card gold parallel set, 1 per box. Frown

This will be the first Bond set by RA in which I don't have a master set. Frown Frown

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post