Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Parallel Sets

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/4447046336

September 22, 2013, 04:38 PM
steve j
Parallel Sets
I love parallel sets- I make no secret of it. I like a parallel set to be a challenge, but not stupidly difficult or impossible - what's the point! The aim is to complete the set, that is what trading cards is all about.

For example - star wars finest refractor set. Possibly one of the best parallel sets ever produced. If someone started this set today, they could still have a chance to complete it; albeit it would take time. The were 4 cards in a box I believe.

With Star Wars Galactic 2, 2 of the 3 the parallel sets are impossible to complete, whilst in the Jedi Legacy parallel sets all are possible, except the gold which were 1/10.

Star Wars 30th anniversary contained both blue and red parallel sets, I calculated that the red set was 1:175, and 1:350 for the blue. These are good odds, and give you a chance to complete. Anything less that 1: 150, and the set becomes too difficult to complete.
September 22, 2013, 05:20 PM
Graham
Very close to completing my gold parallel set for Marvels Greatest Battles and I'm enjoying the chase (at a reasonable price Wink ).
September 22, 2013, 05:23 PM
fuchaldream
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by fuchaldream:

I'm just saying that while it can be the result of laziness; it is not necessarily the case. Just my point of view.

And I disagree Big Grin My point is why? a set is produced and then the added value is you get a gold or silver or red border set that is the same in every other way!! Everyone can like what they like - I think it is a waste

OK. I suppose I can respect your right to be wrong. Big Grin

Just kidding. You are absolutely correct. I was only saying that I don't think it is always about laziness. I think sometimes it's just a manufacturer trying to add one more, possibly meaningless, insert for fans.

I probably have that perspective because I only collect things I love. So, I look for every reason to stick with products I like. I like revisiting and revisiting and... yes, revisiting card sets and shows and movies with my wife.

I guess it all boils down to why you collect.
September 23, 2013, 03:01 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Very close to completing my gold parallel set for Marvels Greatest Battles and I'm enjoying the chase (at a reasonable price Wink ).

And to be fair despite my comments these do look nice
September 23, 2013, 03:03 AM
hammer
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:

I'm just saying that while it can be the result of laziness; it is not necessarily the case. Just my point of view.

And I disagree Big Grin My point is why? a set is produced and then the added value is you get a gold or silver or red border set that is the same in every other way!! Everyone can like what they like - I think it is a waste

OK. I suppose I can respect your right to be wrong. Big Grin

Just kidding. You are absolutely correct. I was only saying that I don't think it is always about laziness. I think sometimes it's just a manufacturer trying to add one more, possibly meaningless, insert for fans.

I probably have that perspective because I only collect things I love. So, I look for every reason to stick with products I like. I like revisiting and revisiting and... yes, revisiting card sets and shows and movies with my wife.

I guess it all boils down to why you collect.

I do know what you mean and I do agree that there are other lazy sets made and other lazy chase sets - the good thing about this hobby is there is plenty to like and dislike - enjoy the chase Smile
September 23, 2013, 11:26 AM
ifish73
I like parallels but as many said above as long as they are not lazy with them (a gold stamp doesn't cut it!). My favorite set 1995 Marvel Masterpieces had a nice parallel set, one per pack was a little easy but it was a large set so it still took many boxes to complete. I like the cryptozoic parallel sets, you get a few per box and almost always get a set from a case with a few extras. Even the 2007 Marvel Masterpieces parallel sets were good. They had a one per pack and a few per box. I am even good with one super rare version (less than 10 of each card produced). I don't consider them part of a master set due to scarcity but I get a few of them as examples.
September 23, 2013, 11:52 AM
David R
I am upset that the upcoming James Bond set by Rittenhouse has a 110 card gold parallel set, 1 per box. Frown

This will be the first Bond set by RA in which I don't have a master set. Frown Frown