Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parallel Sets
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
There was a comment made in one of the other threads about parallel sets getting too hard to complete, and it got me wondering how many card collectors are really trying to complete the usual 2 or 3 layers of parallel sets in a product?

I know I don't go for anything more than the base set myself and I will keep the odd parallel cards I get for no particular reason.

So there is two general questions and please add your thoughts on whether or not we really need parallel sets or if another type of hit would be more popular.

Question:
Do you try to complete the parallel set(s) on those card titles that you collect?

Choices:
No, I am content with the base card set.
Yes, I will try for one type of parallel set.
Yes, I will try to complete all parallel sets.

Question:
Would you prefer that parallel sets be removed from pack production?

Choices:
No, I like the challenge of parallel sets.
Yes, I don't complete them anyway.
Yes, I would rather another type of hit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
I was going to vote, but I don't fit into your choices.

I like the parallels, sometimes they are just neat. I don't typically try to complete a set of parallels unless I accidentally get close, then I will go ahead and complete it.

I would prefer a different type of insert, if it were lenticulars or props or autos. I just don't think that any manufacturer would replace a parallel set with a more premium hit.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
It all depends. One Parallel card a pack insert sets are fun to work on in you get a couple of boxes. 1,2,3 a box parallel just gets into too high a price for me. For Example:
Mars Attacks Heritage (I am missing 2 of the Green Parallel set) 1:3 packs. Not too hard to do.
Silver 1 a box. Not for me.
Gold Not going to happen.
I don't even think of a parallel as a "hit", just a nice little bonus. If I finish them (Awesome) but if I don't I usually keep them anyway as a nice little memory.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think parallels are waste of time and show a lack of imagination by card manufacturers.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't particularly like parallels because they feel like the same cards, but there are certain sets that gives a different feel and effect, one such set is the Rittenhouse Archives Marvel Universe 2011. The acetate parallel set feels like another set, for me anyway.

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That was a good Parallel set Juke, That marvel universe set did surprise!!!!

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With all the new Star Wars sets and there 500 parallel sets - I do not bother with the base set and go for the easy parallel sets and just keep hold of the others - I look to buy job lots on eBay for $0.50 to $1 per card including shipping- I do not even look too closely at the number as I use the doubles as trade fodder - I even have done the same with GOT

Cheers

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Parallel sets can be fun to do Smile
But then again..... Star wars 30th Blue set was not that bad.....
Red set is hard at 1 per box
Gold set = Nightmare

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
With some parallel sets, there are only 10 complete sets. Why would the average collector even try for a complete set? Still, a rare card makes a fun hit.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven, you polled the collectors about trying to complete a parallel set, but I'm wondering whether a lot more non-dealers buy a parallel set than try to open packs to collate one.

When parallels are 1:3 packs or higher, they stop being an attraction to me when I open packs from a box or three. And I'm one of the many people who doesn't trade an awful lot any more. Maybe I'll split a case with a friend and one of us will go after a 1:3 if it's interesting.

But the true attraction these days is as a "bonus" to dealers or collectors who buy cases. Most of the traffic in parallels will be complete or near-complete sets. I've seen websites where people track the progress of people completing the "10 complete sets" varieties, but for the most part, they end up as single collectibles. If it's just a change in border colors and I find one in a pack, I say whoop-de-doo and hope somebody else wants it.

My "poll" question goes to the people who break packs and boxes from multiple cases. What do you think of in-pack parallels - do they add significantly to your potential sales, or are they almost more trouble than they're worth? Maybe you'd prefer another case-topper or incentive card. Maybe the fees and shipping costs are making it harder to market a few or a handful of parallels.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
They are Lazy sets put out when companies who can´t think of anything else or want a chase set on the cheap

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
They are Lazy sets put out when companies who can´t think of anything else or want a chase set on the cheap

I couldn't have put it better myself, hammer. Thumb Up
It's a cheap way of bulking up a set with minimal thought and nearly as minimal manufacture effort...which is why they exist, I suppose. Roll Eyes

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I think when they are used 1 a pack as an alternative to a "hit" that they work pretty well. I like them and it is fun to put a parallel set together as an added "bonus". If anyone has parallels they want to get rid of, drop me an e-mail at barobehere2@comcast.net

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

I disagree with this as a general statement. It is probably true sometimes, but Breygent has parallel sets in Grimm, along with lenticulars, a regular insert, autos, costumes, props, and rare sketches. That does not sound lazy to me. In cases like that, I think it is an attempt to add value. Maybe not the best way (we'll have to see the parallels to know), but there are a lot of other things manufacturers do that are lazy. The first thing that pops into my head is the picture mismatched with the costume, also repeat autographs of minor characters, bland design of the base set, lack of watermarks / security markings on "valuable" cards, sticker autos without a design conducive to a sticker auto (I mean, at least make it look like it was intended...).

I'm just saying that while it can be the result of laziness; it is not necessarily the case. Just my point of view.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
Raven, you polled the collectors about trying to complete a parallel set, but I'm wondering whether a lot more non-dealers buy a parallel set than try to open packs to collate one.

When parallels are 1:3 packs or higher, they stop being an attraction to me when I open packs from a box or three. And I'm one of the many people who doesn't trade an awful lot any more. Maybe I'll split a case with a friend and one of us will go after a 1:3 if it's interesting.

But the true attraction these days is as a "bonus" to dealers or collectors who buy cases. Most of the traffic in parallels will be complete or near-complete sets. I've seen websites where people track the progress of people completing the "10 complete sets" varieties, but for the most part, they end up as single collectibles. If it's just a change in border colors and I find one in a pack, I say whoop-de-doo and hope somebody else wants it.

My "poll" question goes to the people who break packs and boxes from multiple cases. What do you think of in-pack parallels - do they add significantly to your potential sales, or are they almost more trouble than they're worth? Maybe you'd prefer another case-topper or incentive card. Maybe the fees and shipping costs are making it harder to market a few or a handful of parallels.

Great points for discussion. You can only put so much in a survey question, so I was just trying to establish how many collectors even care about parallel sets to begin with and let the conversation go from there.

All parallels are not equal. The ones with different color borders I would agree are "lazy". Some with foil look better and the ones with a different effect are better still.

Also its a good bet that some collectors may buy the parallel sets as completed by dealers and not even want the base version.

I am enjoying all the comments as it's always good to see how other collectors and dealers view certain aspects of this hobby. I wish that we had more subjects that get thoughtful responses without people being judged right or wrong. That is the value of these forums.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Base sets can get boring for me, and rather than buy one as a set or 1-2 per box with spares, parallel base sets I love. I will collect one instead of a normal base set. Something different for my collection.They are fun to try and complete and in the case of GOT offer a nice alternative finish. Xena Quotable I am still working on (4 or 5 to go!) GOT S1 I did from scratch and S2 a box started me off.

To me they offer something different and most importantly are fun and the challenge appeals to the collector and completist is me. I could never do a master set but a parallel base set is a nice achievable challenge.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I abhor parrallel cards - always have - with a few exceptions. If the parallels are different, such as from Batman Forever Metal, the Silver Flasher parallels had different text on the back. Fortunately, this is the one set I have completed.
In today's standard 24 pack box, a parallel in each pack means you may not be able to complete a base set.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:

I do. Card collecting is already dead here in our country except for a few Magic the Gathering shops and some small mixed shops that carry older sports cards. And I'm not a regular card-buyer anyway, so I have to resort to buying singles and sets from other countries to get better value, pack/box-content and shipping/tax-wise. Last time I bought a pack was back in 1998. Packs have already skyrocketed in price by then.

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
I'm ok with parallel sets if they conform to the following 2 points...

1- The parallel must be significantly different than its base card counterpart. No simple foil stamp or different colored border.

2- They can't be too hard or too easy to get. 1 per pack and everyone ends up with a bunch of unwanted cards, 1 per box or harder and the set becomes to hard to chase. 4-6 per box seems to be the sweet spot, you get close to a set in a case, which isn't too hard to finish a set when so many people buy by the case these days.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuchaldream:

I'm just saying that while it can be the result of laziness; it is not necessarily the case. Just my point of view.

And I disagree Big Grin My point is why? a set is produced and then the added value is you get a gold or silver or red border set that is the same in every other way!! Everyone can like what they like - I think it is a waste

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post