Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Help valuing Prisoner 2010 Patrick McGoohan autograph card
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help valuing Prisoner 2010 Patrick McGoohan autograph card
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
All this has made me want to pull out the Prisoner DVDs and watch them all over again.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well this has proven a very interesting conversation...

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very interesting thread.

Some aside on this.

He was a very very difficult individual to deal with. I was given his number by a member of the fan club and call him in his LA home.

I call his home a lady picks, up. ''Im his wife. But you have the wrong number for him, he lives on the other side of the house and here is his number'' thank you i say and call the other number.

he picks the phone up. he launches into a rant about his wife and they dont talk to each other and have separate sides of the house. ''who are you, and what do you want''

So i explain who i am and what i want ''Why the bloody hell would people want my signature on a card from a show that nobody can watch because the tv company wont do repeats, and when they do them i get 2p cheques for residuals''

''How much... whatever it is, is not enough'' i didnt get to answer he carried on. ''i tell you what i will sign 100 as you've called me from london and you've been polite'' (((I have literally spent about 2mins in total talking to him between rants))

''Send the money with the cards''

So i send the cards and a cheque. I sent i think 150 cards, and wait a couple of weeks and call him.

''I was waiting for you to call, lost your number, but they are ready, but i did give a few away''

''oh i say, ok''

''Yes we had a dinner party last week, with some very famous people, who you would have heard of but who I'm not going to talk about, and i put on each on their plates prior to dinner to take home''

Who they were he didnt reveal, he sent them back. from memory i think we got about 90 back, some where smudged.

i didnt even keep one.

Ive always wondered who the stars were!!!

Posts: 6 | Location: All over the world | Registered: August 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Well, if every time you went to bed and the overhead light fixture dropped down on your head and brainwashed you, you'd be irritable too.

But seriously, that was extremely interesting. I had heard that Mr. McGoohan wasn't the friendliest person on Earth, but I forgive him because I REALLY liked The Prisoner and BRAVEHEART.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
DE: Hello

PM: Wadda ya want?

DE: An autograph

PM: You won't get it

DE: By hook or by crook i will

PM: who are you?

DE: No 1.

another mystery solved. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Many people assume that he was British or Irish by birth, but he was actually born in New York, in 1928.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Darren, amazing story about McGoohan, thank you for sharing.

Makes you wonder what other conversations have taken place with certain celebs about signing these cards of ours.

Only other anecdotes I can think of are from Steve at RA: that Grace Jones wanted too much money to sign for Bond, and Barbara Bach's certifying 'witness' to her signature was hubby Ringo Starr.

Anyway, back to McGoohan... always enjoyed him in Columbo. This thread has prompted me to read more about him, he sounds like he was quite the eccentric/pain in the arse to work with!

Makes these autograph cards all the more special they actually got done.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I forgot all about those Columbo episodes. Now I remember being excited when McGoohan was on them when I watched them on the first broadcasts. I think he directed one or more of them too.

He also had a doctor show called 'Rafferty', which I quite enjoyed, and it ran for only one season. I wish it was available on DVD.