Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    How Memorabilia Cards Are Made
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Memorabilia Cards Are Made
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
We have an interesting thread currently going about how do they sort cards into packs and the thread includes a video from Panini. I spotted a somewhat related video today about how they make memorabilia cards, specifically turning a Bear Bryant hat into 100 cards. Take a look below.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that video I have often wondered how that all worked.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Neat!

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm really impressed that they would make that video !

Posts: 1132 | Location: Cleveland Hts. , Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Interesting! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cool video!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
very interesting
I wonder if the pieces are always cut by a machine

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Holy Moley! I THOUGHT that's how they might do it, but I wasn't sure. And if you believe that, I've a got a REAL good price on the Brooklyn Bridge for ya!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that was a cool video. but its amazing how they can butcher a piece of memorabilia like that.

Posts: 20 | Location: CLEARWATER,FL | Registered: April 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Here's a different perspective on these costume/fabric cards. I don't see how destroying one piece of memorabilia to create another is really such a great thing. I know that a few people can have a piece of memorabilia from a uniform or a costume, but to destroy such an object? Shouldn't it be in a museum and not cut up into ten or hundreds of pieces? When Cristie's Auction House, in NY, auctioned off all the Star Trek props and costumes they went for thousands of dollars, and they weren't destroyed. On the contrary they were cherished by their new owners. I'm not a sports fan {and I don't really care about someones old **** hat}, but shouldn't these things be preserved in a sports museum, at least?
What's next cutting up the Mona Lisa or breaking up Michaelangelo's David to put in a trading card? {I know that's pushing it, but hopefully you all can get my drift ?}

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:What's next cutting up the Mona Lisa or breaking up Michaelangelo's David to put in a trading card? {I know that's pushing it, but hopefully you all can get my drift ?}

If they could, they would. Thing is, for some reason, collectors are willing to pay more for an autograph cut out of a historical document then they would ever have to pay for the entire document with autograph in the first place. I say 'they' because I have never, and will never buy a cut autograph.

Now, as to relics, it's one thing to have a piece of a piece of coal from the titanic, or wooden deck of the U.S.S North Carolina, and another to have a cross section of a bone from a dinosaur.

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
I know that a few people can have a piece of memorabilia from a uniform or a costume, but to destroy such an object? Shouldn't it be in a museum and not cut up into ten or hundreds of pieces?

Well that argument has been going on for about 20 years now. Long before premium hits of material and uniform cards became commonplace there was the Babe Ruth bat card. Upper Deck sliced up an old, cracked bat once used by Babe Ruth and stuck rectangular, quarter sized slivers on a large number of bat cards.

All the sports collectors were horrified, how dare they destroy a Babe Ruth bat? Then they all went out and bought the card for some stupid price. After that bat cards were in every product. Moral of the story is that no one really cares, and its pretty easy to sell the Brooklyn Bridge if you find the right people. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This type of stuff would make a great NSU article (if it hasn't already in an issue I missed). A behind-the-scenes feature would rock! It was sort of hit upon recently in the article about why some sets are dropped.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
This type of stuff would make a great NSU article (if it hasn't already in an issue I missed). A behind-the-scenes feature would rock! It was sort of hit upon recently in the article about why some sets are dropped.

That's why TV shows like, "How's It Made" and such are doing good and so interesting, too.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
Do they really use this same process for all the memorabilia cards they make? They produce hundreds of thousands (maybe millions?) of sports jersey relic cards a year. Seems like it would take forever.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
No wonder mistakes are made if they work that fast Big Grin

Very Interesting

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
What a great video. I never knew what actually went into making these cards. But...Did you notice the cards were numbered to 100 yet there had to be a few hundred squares of the hat and liner left over. Can we guess that they will use these for another Bear Bryant card in the future? Or are there unmumbered versions of the same card?

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
What a great video. I never knew what actually went into making these cards. But...Did you notice the cards were numbered to 100 yet there had to be a few hundred squares of the hat and liner left over. Can we guess that they will use these for another Bear Bryant card in the future? Or are there unmumbered versions of the same card?

Unless the relic is tiny, it would make sense for the company to use part of the inventory and keep some in storage for future product. Take the Beethoven DNA Relic cards from Allen & Ginter. Topps has released 3 of them in consecutive years and I have no reason to believe they are done with them. They likely bought a lock of Beethoven's hair and have cut individual strands into segments. You get one segment of one strand of hair in that ultra-rare 1/1 card... until next year.

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
When Cristie's Auction House, in NY, auctioned off all the Star Trek props and costumes they went for thousands of dollars, and they weren't destroyed.

Representatives from the card companies go to those auctions, too... Rittenhouse had some Lost auction winnings on display at a recent show. I'm sure they will be in a future Lost release.

As an additional bit of info, I know of a guy who was allowed a visit to UD's "vault". There were whole items (jerseys, bats, etc.) but also baggies of cut-up items with labels. So yes, they cut up an immense amount of stuff and store them for future releases.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
Great video, that is sure a great process. Shame great props/ items like that have to get cut up but on the other hand they make nice looking, dare I say, unique cards.

Thanks for posting Wink

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post