Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebay searching
 Login/Join

posted
I have noticed recently that the search function on ebay has changed, i used to be able to put a (*) after a few letters which helped with mis-spelt items but it now comes up that this function is no longer supported. best get the spell checker out!!

Posts: 357 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Yup. Quite annoying. Another trick is to create strings using brackets. For example, if you want to look for Mary Poppins Autographs, I'd search:

mary poppins (auto,autograph,autographs)

to cover my bases. Apparently it looks for misspellings, but I'd rather be safe to catch them.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The thing is, their search engine cannot pick up misspelt names. The wild card has proved very useful in locating cards by particular artists with slightly unusual names that can be easily misspelt. eBay search just tries to match up real words that might be what you are looking for. So very much a retrograde step by eBay. Not helpful to potential buyers in the slightest. Typing out long strings of possible variations is hardly a quick way to do anything Big Grin

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I have also sent a complaint to their customer service. Hopefully enough complaints will lead to a reversal.

By the way 'auto' does not pick up 'autograph' so it's clear their intelligent text matching is pretty much adding or dropping an 's'. I also agree about the artist name thing, I use that a lot because some names are easily mangled.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only guy tearing out my hair. There's a few things you can't do any more if you're a completist, or if you play one on TV.

It started with the wildcard searches disabled only for the completed auctions - and now it's spread to the current auctions. It makes it tougher to do research because there are always variations in how sellers spell! (And some of my best finds were misspelled items that other bidders missed.)

And there are disagreements on spelling and punctuation. Searches on "deadworld" are not going to find "dead world", nor "bench warmer" for "benchwarmer". "You'll Die Laughing" won't find the "Youll Die" listings. At least eBay considers punctuation the same as a space, so you don't worry about optional hyphens.

I previously used a lot of long search strings in brackets to get around the eBay limit of 100 characters - the wildcards let me include only a portion of multiple names or search terms and keep under the limit. If you were looking for something new or unique: you could check for items you didn't know about yet with a complicated search string to exclude things you already knew. For instance a search for additional artists for Star Wars Galactic Files, I could start with " wars galac* sketch -aa* -bb* -cc* -dd* " etc. and exclude the first few letters of the names I already knew.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
As a test, I just picked a random Trek actor auto card name, Kusatsu...I typed in Kusat.
It changed Kusat to Kuat and then using Kusat* and it returned nothing at all.
So, if I were really watning his card and worried about misspellings....I'd get nothing.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got an email from ebay about this, looks like we will need to be a bit more proactive in our searches, does seem a backward move..

Here's how to revise your saved search terms

Replace any * in a wildcard search term with whole words.

EXAMPLE: Replace 'Floral silk scar*' with 'Floral silk scarf'

You can also include various spellings in a single search term by adding it in brackets, with each additional term separated by a comma.

EXAMPLE: Replace 'Floral silk scar*' with 'Floral silk (scarf, scarfs, scarves)'

You can also exclude items from the results for your saved search by adding a '-(items to be excluded)'.

EXAMPLE: Replace 'Porcelain minifigur* -lot*' with 'Porcelain (minifigure, minifigurines) -(lot, lots)'

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
I got an email from ebay about this, looks like we will need to be a bit more proactive in our searches, does seem a backward move..

Here's how to revise your saved search terms

Replace any * in a wildcard search term with whole words.

EXAMPLE: Replace 'Floral silk scar*' with 'Floral silk scarf'

You can also include various spellings in a single search term by adding it in brackets, with each additional term separated by a comma.

EXAMPLE: Replace 'Floral silk scar*' with 'Floral silk (scarf, scarfs, scarves)'

You can also exclude items from the results for your saved search by adding a '-(items to be excluded)'.

EXAMPLE: Replace 'Porcelain minifigur* -lot*' with 'Porcelain (minifigure, minifigurines) -(lot, lots)'

I got that email as well because I had saved searches with wildcards in them.
They've had bad ideas before but this one has to be the dumbest. Essentially, their sellers will be losing sales because the buyers won't find the items they want.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
Good to see i'm not the only one affected by this. I don't like this change either.

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
it doesn't even make things plural. I am modifying some of my automatic searches and testing as I go. I had to do (batcoin, batcoins) because their 'intelligent' expansion could not work out to add an 's' since it's not a real word.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've just been on to eBay Customer Services over a different matter but took the opportunity to raise this problem with the removal of wild cards from the search system. The poor gentleman I spoke to asked that I submit a formal written complaint to the people dealing with this sort of thing. The email address he gave me was:

powersellerteam@ebay.com

He thinks that if enough people lodge complaints, then something might be done about it. I'll be composing my message shortly and including references to the way it is driving away buyers who can no longer find what they are looking for. Maybe a few people on here could join in too. Just a thought Big Grin

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
Try to look closely your search. I noted sometimes that the search bar changes your words for even not related words.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I've noticed items coming up regardless of being plural. I collect busts, and if there's not one available for a particular ifem, it automatically searches out "best". Mispellings and leaving out key words by sellers have helped me get good deals. I miss the "any location" advanced search option.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
I've just been on to eBay Customer Services over a different matter but took the opportunity to raise this problem with the removal of wild cards from the search system. The poor gentleman I spoke to asked that I submit a formal written complaint to the people dealing with this sort of thing. The email address he gave me was:

powersellerteam@ebay.com

He thinks that if enough people lodge complaints, then something might be done about it. I'll be composing my message shortly and including references to the way it is driving away buyers who can no longer find what they are looking for. Maybe a few people on here could join in too. Just a thought Big Grin

email sent thanks

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post