Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Fake Megan Fox auto..?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/4287030036

April 08, 2013, 09:37 AM
Kris Gibson
Fake Megan Fox auto..?
Am I going crazy-mad paranoid or is there something not quite right about this Megan Fox auto card, item number 130884983128 ('that' auction site)?

For one thing, there's a few dots in that signature - after the 'n' in Megan, and again after the 'x' in Fox - that do not appear on any other Fox card I've seen. The thickness of the pen seems off, too, though that could be the scan.

But the signature itself, particularly the surname, seems off to me. In all other examples she signs the 'o' in an upward loop, one long stroke from the crossbar of the 'F' forming the 'o' and again looping for the 'x'. Here the cross-stroke from the 'F' stops and goes back on itself, not looping but forming an open 'o', and dipping downwards, not up. None of the other cards on eBay differ in this way.

I know the signature is on a sticker, but stickered autographs have been faked before (Kevin Spacey Superman Returns comes to mind...).

I don't know, I could just be chasing ghosts here, but it just doesn't feel right... Dots, faded ink, strange/different sig... Anyone agree/disagree?
April 08, 2013, 10:01 AM
Ted Dastick Jr.
Those dots are usually telltale signs of an autopen. hopefully webjon can weigh in on this.
April 08, 2013, 11:04 AM
Chrisahend
Looking at her other signatures Megan looks somewhat consistent but I see variations in Fox in several of the examples on Ebay. I think she may just be inconsistent. It also looks like the marker was fading which may be why the thickness seems off. I would want to see a better quality image before buying something that expensive. His isn't very good.
April 08, 2013, 11:24 AM
Chuck Bartowski
I've never seen one her Transformer autos in black ink. Not saying they don't exist but I would stay away from it.
April 08, 2013, 11:28 AM
Chrisahend
I didn't even notice the ink color. There is one other black signature in the completed listings but the rest are blue.
April 08, 2013, 12:24 PM
Kris Gibson
Hadm't noticed the black ink either Smile Possible she changed pens, but for me another alarm bell rings...
April 08, 2013, 06:20 PM
clearblue
I think that the color is off because the signature is faded. It's not that unusual to see the color change in that fashion if it's been sitting in light.
April 08, 2013, 06:23 PM
Chuck Bartowski
quote:
Originally posted by clearblue:
I think that the color is off because the signature is faded. It's not that unusual to see the color change in that fashion if it's been sitting in light.

That is a possibility as well. I would still personally stay away from this one.

There have been known fakes of the Superman autos in black ink.
April 08, 2013, 06:25 PM
webjon
Neither faded nor fake is a good option. . . Tough call on this one, really. . . you'd need to see the card in person and examine it closely.

If you aren't comfortable with the card definitely don't bit. . . if you are considering bidding, I'd email the seller and see how they respond. . .
April 08, 2013, 07:55 PM
Raven
First let me say that I have no idea why the Megan Fox autograph cards are still holding these prices. Well I have some idea Big Grin, but come on, its so over.

Anyway, the autograph looks to be faded at best. If something is a poor example, you don't want it, even if its authentic.

What you didn't say is that the card is located in Hong Kong. I don't know about everyone else, but that would be a problem for me. I just wouldn't buy from Hong Kong. There is a lot of funny business over there and not so much enforcement of things like licensing laws. I'm not saying anything one way or the other about the signature, its hard to tell. I just wouldn't go there to get one.

Not that I would want one you understand. Wink
April 09, 2013, 01:29 AM
Card Owner
I echo what Raven has said.

I also find it strange that a Hong Kong based seller will NOT ship to Hong Kong!!

However looking at the sellers feedback it does seem that over the years has sold quite a few Sports and Non Sports cards.

I guess anyone interested in the card should definately contact the seller and see if they can obtain a higher quality picture.

Worst case scenario would be a genuine seller having a Fake auto amongst his collection without knowing!!
April 09, 2013, 05:25 AM
btlfannz
Pardon my ignorance of such matters (having never been an autograph collector) but wouldn't the hardest thing to fake be the blank signing card?
The example of the disputed Samantha Fox Ebay item shows that it is on an Authentic Autograph Topps Certified. If you were intending to fake the auto where would you get hold of a blank card with that wording on it before you even started to whip out the ol' sharpie?

April 09, 2013, 09:03 AM
ifish73
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
Pardon my ignorance of such matters (having never been an autograph collector) but wouldn't the hardest thing to fake be the blank signing card?
The example of the disputed Samantha Fox Ebay item shows that it is on an Authentic Autograph Topps Certified. If you were intending to fake the auto where would you get hold of a blank card with that wording on it before you even started to whip out the ol' sharpie?

Topps has had issues for many years with `backdoored' cards. It is possible that some blanks made it out and an unscrupulous seller takes cheap autographs, wipes them clean and forges the signature to put on this card.

If you were to see what people do with sports cards to try and squeeze money out of people it is sickening.

It has almost come to the point if you didn't pull it yourself, you can't trust it.