Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insanity rules!
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
I came across a single card that I wanted on the 'bay yesterday. I very nearly bought it without even looking too hard as it was only a common listed at $1.00 - yes just a buck! However, I did check what the postage to New Zealand was and nearly went into cardiac arrest!! $42.85 to send a single card to New Zealand.
I wrote to the guy and said thank you but no thank you.
This is what he wrote back:

Thank you for your interest, and I am sorry but I only offer either Priority (the rate quoted of $42.85) or Express, which is $52.85). I do not offer First Class. I have no desire to be difficult to work with, but to explain, due to eBay and PayPal policy, I am forced to be responsible if the package is lost or damaged by the post office. While I am happy to correct my own mistakes, I do not feel I should be held accountable for the mistakes of others. Since eBay and PayPal do not agree with this position, I am only willing to ship via a method that can both be tracked and insured- which allows me to hold the postal carrier responsible. Again, I am truly sorry and I truly do not wish to be difficult to work with in any way. But as long as eBay and PayPal have their "Buyer Protection" program in effect, that is the only shipping method I'm willing to offer. As to other sellers, they are probably willing to take the risk. I'm sorry that I am not.

Thank God not all US sellers think like this.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this would satisfy eBay or PayPal but usps now offers free international delivery confirmation to selected countries when postage is purchased online.
2 out of 3 cards tracked and confirmed delivery to me in the UK from USA recently.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Perhaps asking a friend on here to get the card sent to them in the US/Canada, then ship it on to you.

It take a bit longer, but you can save a huge chunk on shipping.
I look at shipping before I even open the link.... over $6 for shipping = take a hike!

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I can actually understand that seller's position, up to a point. eBay rules are causing postage increases because they must have insurance and tracking or the seller is open to claims of non-receipt. Only tracking can prove that a package was delivered.

The stupid part was that the item in question cost $1. When anybody does business, there is a certain amount of risk and cost of doing business expenses that you have to be able to accept. While I can see him insisting on covering himself for items over a certain amount, you have got to take your chances with minimal sales or you might just as well not offer them.

I feel sorry for non-domestic buyers and sellers trying to use eBay now. They are really getting hit with huge increases, but even on the domestic side I have to pay more.

I think the buyer should be given the option of foregoing buyer protection, and all its added cost, below a certain amount if he/she agrees in order to make shipping fees what they should be.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byrne:
Perhaps asking a friend on here to get the card sent to them in the US/Canada, then ship it on to you.

What a stunningly brilliant idea! Now, all I've got to do is to find a friend. Haven't got one of those. Any ideas where I can buy one?? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
Now, all I've got to do is to find a friend. Any ideas where I can buy one?? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

yes ebay, they are only a $1 each but they cost $500 to post. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byrne:

What a stunningly brilliant idea! Now, all I've got to do is to find a friend. Haven't got one of those. Any ideas where I can buy one?? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

If they are willing to send to Canada for a reasonable price, let me know Smile

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I got on ebay for the first time since 2008 and sold about 10 cards. I sold a card to an awesome ebayer in Norway. International First Class with Tracking for 1 card was 8.88. It met all the ebay/paypal criteria. Now, this was not a 1 dollar card and we split the shipping 60/40 (he paid 60%, I 40%) and we were both happy.
But it is getting to the point where it is going to be too expensive to send anything outside of your own country which is hurting our hobby.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Things definitely took a turn for the worse here in the UK back in April when the Royal Mail put through its latest set of changes. However, the increased prices weren't the biggest problem. It was the changes to the standard conpensation rates that were the biggest headache. Before April, First Class domestic post and Standard Airmail came with 46 UKPounds (around $70) of insurance cover as standard. This meant that quite a wide range of cards could be sold and posted for a reasonable cost with no major worries about if they went missing other the time required to claim back the money. In April, the basic cover was reduced to just 20 UKPounds (around $30). Anything more valuable has to go International Signed for or Airsure to provide cover and the price jump is horrendous, especially for things in the $30-$69 range. As barobehere has said, it's pricing overseas sales out of the market. At least for low value items Shake Head

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Now, all I've got to do is to find a friend. Any ideas where I can buy one?? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

yes ebay, they are only a $1 each but they cost $500 to post. Big Grin

Are they broken down by sex??