Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    DUMPED PRODUCTS & EBAY WEIGHTS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DUMPED PRODUCTS & EBAY WEIGHTS
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
Hi All,

I'm using this single thread to ask individual questions instead of using up lots of space with multi threads on the forum.

Each question is separated by a line break ------ like this Big Grin

DUMPED PRODUCTS & EBAY WEIGHTS.

1. What is the 'official' definition of a 'dumped product'?

2. How do I accuratly weigh parcels when I send out items via recorded delivery for Ebay sales?

Thanks all Big Grin

------------------

The second post below is about a Goosebumps Mystery Card BUT instead of taking up another topic post, I'm simply writing my new enquiry in here under a new title.

------------------

PICKING A SELLER:

I'm considering buying some packs from an online seller. They have quite a good selection at reasonable prices.

My problem is that in the past they've sold 'Guaranteed Hot Packs' (Guarenteed Chase card in the pack).

SO would that mean the other 'reasonable priced' packs they sell are all the 'base-common' card packs they haven't 'cherry picked'??

Of course I'm not going to say anything that could 'name' such a seller and I have had no dealings with their business before.

I only wanted to know others opinions before putting down money.
--------------------------

GOOSEBUMPS MYSTERY CARD TOPIC:

I know Topps released a Goosebumps card set in the mid 90s but I came across a lone Goosebumps - game style? card in my collection:

There's the front and back of it.

Manufactured by: Parachute Press Inc.

In: 1996.

Anyone know any more about these cards? Confused

Thanks Wavey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TC00,

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
This must be from a Goosebumps game. I have the Goosebumps set,and it is regular style square cornered cards with painted images. The inserts were foil cards.

Posts: 2913 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don Wavey

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
If the seller sells gauranteed hot packs i think you know what you will get when you buy packs from them.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have heard people say that they pulled some nice hits from a bulk purchase of loose packs before, I however have never experienced that myself. Big Grin

If the packs are nicely discounted and the guy also sells hot packs, I would assume a connection. Wink

Which doesn't mean that the deal might not be worth it if you are just after base cards and subsets and not counting on finding buried treasure.

Posts: 10409 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Do you think a seller would be offended if I asked them if the hits had already been found/taken out?

This is for packs sold in bulk at fairly cheap prices.

Cheers.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:

Do you think a seller would be offended if I asked them if the hits had already been found/taken out?

Cheers.

I think an honest man might feel offended and a dishonest man will just lie. You can apply that to a lot of situations. Wink

Posts: 10409 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
As the buyer you have the right to ask any questions you want.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for the response.

I decided to go ahead and ask.

Seems legitimate, still on the fence though Roll Eyes

Thanks Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
I've asked that question before on an opened box that had the correct amount of sealed packs, so I would have suggested to ask. I believed the seller that it had not been picked through......long story short, I pulled a Martineck sketch card, so it worked out for me. Good luck!!

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Thanks @goldenavenger Big Grin

Decided I'll hold off to see if the price drops Thumb Up

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Wave New topic title and question bump.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Dumped product is a relative term.

It used to mean when the manufacturer sold off massive lots of cards (pallets) many times with the "Black Mark" across the front meaning they were returned from a dealer.

I would argue that some modern sets could be considered dumped. Like the "expansion set" that is sold singly, but if you buy 5 you get an incentive card. The extras are essentially dumped on the market as the incentive many times is viewed as the real value and the extra sets are sold at below cost prices to get rid of them.

Accurately weighing parcels...

Silly answer: Get a scale.

Serious answer: Get a scale. Razz

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5081 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Ed alluded to, I think the term 'dumped' is antiquated now, or at least the way it is sometimes used isn't accurate. Years ago merchants (lots of them grocery and dime stores) ordered cards through newsstands. Items ordered through newsstands are 100% returnable, so stores would order them regardless if they thought they would sell as anything that didn't sell got returned to the newsstand distributor, and ultimately back to the manufacturer. If they were returned in large quantities and unable to be resold at a wholesale price these cards (boxes) were generally marked with a black ink mark (sometimes a large X) across the face of the box. The manufacturer would then dump those at a drastically reduced price. At this point you could actually tell which boxes were dumped and which weren't by the black mark (or lack thereof) on the box.

I think that is your definition, or origin of what a dumped product is.

As time passed the term has been more commonly used to describe cards that are sold in large lots either out the back door (or perhaps front door) of a manufacturer, or when a company goes out of business and lots of their product suddenly hits the market -- think FPG boxes.

Hope that helps. . .

Jon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Thank you SciFi Cards & WebJon. Wavey

Both definitions were very helpful. Thumb Up

haha as for the scales - I didn't know if there was a particular/different type/make but I figured not now Roll Eyes

Thanks again - Very helpful. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I have close access to a post office. They weigh the package and can give general costs in the US. Not sure how things work in the UK.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
A postal scale is your friend, especially if you plan to ship internationally. The difference between 1.0 ounce and 1.1 ounces can be significant in terms of postage costs.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
A postal scale is your friend, especially if you plan to ship internationally. The difference between 1.0 ounce and 1.1 ounces can be significant in terms of postage costs.
Even more so here in the UK where the post is weighed in metric values. I had one package weigh in at just 2 or 3 grammes over the next price point on the Post Office scales Shake Head

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
You can always try putting a small helium filled balloon in the package to lighten it up by a gram or two. Big Grin

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
quote:
...were generally marked with a black ink mark (sometimes a large X) across the face of the box. The manufacturer would then dump those at a drastically reduced price. At this point you could actually tell which boxes were dumped and which weren't by the black mark (or lack thereof) on the box.

You can see a lot of different boxes from the '80s in eBay. Big Grin

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post